Singer Featherweight Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Tammi,

I don't hold the finger on the spool when sewing, just when winding a bobbin.

We'll check the U-Tube download helper again.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have had CW thread launch off the spool pin. Funniest thing I've seen in a while. I've gotten in the habit of keeping one finger on the top of the spool. And I wind my bobbins fairly slow. Joe
Joe,
I've had my spool launch too. I thought it was me but I do the one-finger on top of spool trick now to solve that issue. The cats loved the spool launch but not so much me. Chasing them chasing the spool was probably quite a sight but thankfully no one caught it on video so it couldn't be posted and then go viral.
Chris
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 PM

I did make a video of it, by accident I was filming something on my 431G, and it went flying.... LOL! I didn't manage to get that video online though, too much work to get it off the miniDV tape. I'm not sure if it's still around or not.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Yes, a person should wind relatively slowly, but I provide extra tension when I wind, and it doesn't seem to cause many issues with the way I sew, even at extremely high speed sewing on a LA.
A Sailrite tutorial demonstrator wound thread around the bobbin tensioner twice in a video. I've been doing that since for added resistance.

In the same video, he positioned his thumb on thread as he pulled it though the upper tension. It loaded the thread through the tensioner, check spring and little teat guide on the tensioner in one sweep. Solved my seating of the thread in the tensioners. Little tricks come in handy. I should start a thread asking for little tricks.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Ron,

A thread for tips and tricks would be great.

The instructions for my Singer 9w-7s say to wrap the thread around the cover bolt just to the left of the hand wheel then go down to the winder. I find it works quite nicely.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
A Sailrite tutorial demonstrator wound thread around the bobbin tensioner twice in a video. I've been doing that since for added resistance.

In the same video, he positioned his thumb on thread as he pulled it though the upper tension. It loaded the thread through the tensioner, check spring and little teat guide on the tensioner in one sweep. Solved my seating of the thread in the tensioners. Little tricks come in handy. I should start a thread asking for little tricks.
I've started holding the thread before it goes into the tensioner, then when I've threaded it through the tensioner I grab both threads and give them a gentle yank to make sure they're fully seated in to the tension disks.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 PM

The Superior Threads thread holder is <coughcough> superior. I use mine all the time although I don't have a featherweight.