Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Golden Touch & Sew #750 >

Singer Golden Touch & Sew #750

Singer Golden Touch & Sew #750

Old 09-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Mine must be the exception - I've had it about 45 + years and it still works like a charm. I love it and alternate between that and 2 other machines.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:53 PM

The subject of the touch and sew comes up regularly, and it's very much the same arguments each time. I know Singer were unlucky with a productions of plastic gears over the years, some have crumbled up due to age, others have worn down unreasonably fast. I'm leaning towards giving them a chance and hoping the replacment parts are the good quality. Plastic (polyester) come in various ranges of high density to low density polymers; the best is very durable and will stand up to time and oil. I'm not an expert at all, but we certainly notice the difference when it disintergrate.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 PM

The things I like about these machines are the ability to chainstitch and the extra long speed basting stitch. I still haven't got my 770 or 756 cleaned and set up for the basting stitch, but have set my 626 for chain stitch.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I have heard them referred to as Singer Touch and Throws.
My mother's friends called them the "Touch and Swear"
Old 09-02-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I know these machines are very unreliable and not recommended but the lady sold me two with cases and foot pedals for a total of $5. I figured the cases and foot pedals were worth $5 if I couldn't get them to work. And sure enough when we went to service them the plastic gear that turns the bobbin holder broke on one and the belt broke on the other. So we salvaged all of the parts we could and then put them in the trash. Beautiful machines to look at but that is all they are good for.
Have you taken a look at TandTrepair.com
Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Had one back in the day and hated it. Couldn't finish she a project without an issue and it usually had to do with the bobbin area
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 PM

I was Looking for the best sewing machine so i found this discussion.I want some suggestions that which will be best sewing machine 2019?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by beckymalik17 View Post
I was Looking for the best sewing machine so i found this discussion.I want some suggestions that which will be best sewing machine 2019?
Welcome, Becky. It depends on so many factors, it's really hard to give a good answer.

The two most important factors I can think of offhand are, how much are you willing to spend and how are you going to use the machine?

You posted to the vintage sewing machine forum, so I assume a vintage machine is on your mind. I would repeat the same thing I said earlier in this thread. Don't buy a Touch and Sew unless you are willing to either replace the gears yourself or have it done.

The most versatile and trouble free Singer machines are the 400 and 500 series. Many of the vintage Japanese zig-zag machines are reliable. The vintage machines from Europe are reliable, such as Pfaff, Necci, Bernina and Viking.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 07-11-2019 at 05:40 AM. Reason: forgot the European machines
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 AM

I have a touch and sew and I've had it since 1950 and have had not one trouble. I may have tomorrow. LOL, but maybe not. Barny
Old 07-12-2019, 05:16 AM

Yes, me too, barny. My 778 still works, although I don't use it often (it's always been stored in air conditioning). I really liked the T&S when I was volunteering at school. The kids seemed to do better with those than other machines. However all have died except my original.

Also, I bought several at an auction for $5.00 each a few years ago. All of them had broken gears.

I would not recommend anyone buying one these days.

Becky, I would suggest that you start a new thread asking about a vintage machine and tell us about what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend. There are many visitors who won't open a thread about a T&S, but would advise someone looking for a vintage sewing machine.

bkay