Singer Sphinx treadle

Old 10-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Old machines turn up in the local charity shop regularly (not all the time, but I see quite a few nice machines a year). In reasonably good condition (yet dirty and in need of care) they are first priced around $180-200. They stand there for a week or to, if not sold price goes down to 100, the good machines are usually sold then. A week later they are often set down to around $70, and treadles are always go withing a day or two at that price. These are usually not complete, mabye with a few bobbins and feet, some have traces of rust, but never terribly much. Domed cased machines usually go for 60 dollars, hand cranks are sometimes more sought after than electrical for some reason. I guess it varies from time to time and place to place, but the prices seem to reasonably predictable. The bargain give aways are often on sites like craiglist or towards the end of a fleamarked weekend or garage sale.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Sewing machines are like pianos - they were made by the millions and, 75 years ago, just about every home had one. Their commonness, and the fact that far fewer people today sew (or play the piano), keeps supply high and demand low. Good for buyers, bad for sellers. I think the best sales tool is a good, thorough description and, if possible, demonstration, whether live or video.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Make sure your tension springs are all good!! I bought one & the tension spring for the bobbinwinder was broken & I couldn't find one for it. Hunted all over the internet shops that sell parts for old machines. I finally sold it to a treadle restorer & he's using it to put other machines together. Don't know maybe I could have looked & found one?!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
...the tension spring for the bobbinwinder was broken & I couldn't find one for it. Hunted all over the internet shops that sell parts for old machines. I finally sold it to a treadle restorer & he's using it to put other machines together. Don't know maybe I could have looked & found one?!
There are various people worth contacting, and sooner or later the right part almost always turns up, at least with reasonably common models. Bobbin winder parts and springs turn up regularly on fleabay, take a look a the bottom of this list. For small replacement parts and accessories I order from any country, p&p are not unreasonable at all, and much safer than whole machines. There is a web tutorial from a guy who bends a new spring for his bobbin winder, turns out as the perfect replacement.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I use ismacs, they list model number too. Your cousin's turns out to be a model 128 made in 1939. It's a nice little machine, is it sill in use?
Mickey2, thanks for this info. Sorry I'm so late in thanking you but couldn't find the thread until now. I will pass the info and the website to my cousin. Quilters are a sharing and helpful group.