Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: small, tabletop handcrank?

Quote Originally Posted by leonf View Post
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...653-573602.jpg

This Wilcox and Gibbs is small enough to be mistaken for a toy. It will likely end up with a custom hand crank and base on it.
    Thanks for the link!

Unhappy My saddest VSM story

Name:  IMG_1720 (Small).JPG
Views: 108
Size:  54.4 KBName:  IMG_1719 (Small).JPG
Views: 109
Size:  73.8 KBName:  IMG_1718 (Small).JPG
Views: 108
Size:  77.5 KBName:  IMG_1716 (Small).JPG
Views: 109
Size:  65.8 KBThis brings up a sad story. When I first started looking for a vintage machine, this one came along on CL. It was a small, handcrank, vibrating shuttle Colliers machine. My research indicated it was made in Germany in early 1900s, badged and sold by English firm, Colliers. It was so cute, had accessories including feet, shuttles and bobbins. Had a really beautiful carved and inlaid wooden case and she only wanted $35.00. I was looking for a fully functional treadlable machine and insisted I wasn't interested in collecting. That, and I found it would be very hard to replace the front shuttle cover because it was unique to that manufacturer (I can't remember the German company). So I reluctantly walked away (can you believe it!!!). NOW I want a handcrank, although I am not really into the VS machines. And the price for this beauty! I didn't take good pictures because I didn't know enough then, but here is what I have, just for the sake of posterity ;-)
    The CL posting was gone the next day, of course!

I have a Singer 66- 16 in a wooden base. I hesitate to use it because the wiring needs to be redone. Please tell me if this model would be a good candidate to turn it into a hand crank machine. Thks.

Blog Entries
    If 66-16 has the motor boss on the pillar under the handwheel you can attach a hand crank. You will have to get a reproduction made in China. Sometimes original Hand cranks come up for sale on ebay but be prepared to pay $60 + for one.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Glenn - do you mean is the motor on the right end of the machine vs in the back (like my 15- 91)?

Do you leave the motor attached or remove it?

I've not had any luck finding a hand crank on eBay. I know my Singer 66 and if it's a good candidate I'd prefer to use it.
    Last edited by Pudge; 07-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    If your 66 has this on the pillar like in this pics then you can add a hand crank. I remove the motor.Name:  DSCF1503.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  830.3 KB
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    You can buy a reproduction hand crank from sewclassic.com or Sidney Peters.They are less than $20.00 +shipping. Change that to sew-classic.com
    Last edited by Glenn; 07-15-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Thanks Cari for adding the Cindy Peters email. I could not remember it at the moment.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Thanks to yobrosew for starting this thread - didn't mean to hijack the thread but I AM SO EXCITED. After looking at the photo Glenn posted I removed the motor from my Singer 66- 16 and it has the hole I need to attach the hand crank. I just have to order the new wheel and crank from Sew Classic. I am thrilled. I've been lusting after a hand crank for about 5 years. And it was resting in my own closet.Yippee!!! Thanks for your help everybody.
    Last edited by Pudge; 07-15-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Before we had an ample supply of 99s we took a converted hand crank 66 to demos with us. It worked quite well.'

You are well on your way to a conversion. Before you put a Chinese crank on, check the little screws holding the plate on. Sometimes they shake loose. Also, FYI one crank =3 stitches and reverses the direction of the balance wheel, so you will be cranking away from you.

Good to know, thanks IrisIrene.

Name:  hand crank greenfair  2 99s 1 66b.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  292.3 KBThis shows a 66 on the left and 2 99s all handcranks at a green fair. We had 1300 kids try out our machines that day. Iris Irene is on the left. Wore us out explaining them all day. Some kids came back to stitch three times.

Also pudge, your 66 needs the spoked handwheel. The solid ones like the paperweight in the foreground won't work unless you cut a rectangular hole in it.

Yes, leonf I will purchase a spiked wheel and a hand crank to make the transition. Thanks.

1300 children is a crazy number. What a great event.

Pudge,
    When you go to replace the balance wheel pay very close attention to the direction that the lock is on the dive shaft between the clutch knob and the balance wheel.
    Name:  singer clutch knob b.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  178.1 KBYou will need to loosen the set screw on the clutch knob.

Name:  clutch knob set screw..jpg
Size:  130.4 KBunscrew the clutch knob
    Name:  clutch lock b.jpg
Size:  205.3 KBThis is a little newer than a 99. Two of the three prongs on the outside will stop at the set screw when you put it all together. The two prongs on the inside will grab the crankshaft. If you don't keep track of which side faces the needle you will run into trouble. Pay close attention. Then you can wiggle the balance wheel off. May need a bit of oil. I have heard that some of the repro spoked wheels may not fit perfectly. Haven't tried any.

Name:  clutch knob  innards b.jpg
Size:  416.6 KB Again, yours won't look just like this , but you get the idea.
    Last edited by leonf; 07-18-2017 at 06:20 AM.

funny. Using what was close. The balance wheel shot is from a fiddlebase vs. The clutch bits are from a 319. 50, 60 years different??

Leonf - I know about the balance wheel and the pronged washer because I took them off before and had to figure out how to get it back together the hard way! Thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Leonf - I know about the balance wheel and the pronged washer because I took them off before and had to figure out how to get it back together the hard way! Thanks for the warning.
    There are 4 ways to put the clutch washer back on, and three of them are wrong. Almost nobody gets it right the first try, lol.

Cari

Maybe this will help someone else.. I still take a few tries after I know I have the direction right. Hitting the correct gap between the 3 outside prongs is my challenge.

About the spoked wheel, does it matter if it is a 6 spoke vs a 9 spoke wheel? I have a 6 spoke wheel on a 1913 singer 15 with no "motor" boss. Could I use that hand wheel on a 1925 singer 99 to covert it to a handcrank?

I've never paid attention to that.

my smallest handcrank and my favorite handcrank

1960's James Weir
    Name:  20160114_122806.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  78.0 KB

1880's Jones Hand Machine
    Name:  2014-02-25 19.58.34.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  107.2 KB

Talking FIFY (fixed it for you)

Knowing SteveH's machines I'm sure this is what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    my smallest handcrank and my favorite handcrank

1860's James Weir
    Name:  20160114_122806.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  78.0 KB

1880's Jones Hand Machine
    Name:  2014-02-25 19.58.34.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  107.2 KB
    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2