small, tabletop handcrank?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 AM

I have a 1908 Singer 66 that I put a hand-crank on. I bring it outside on the patio. Portable it is, but it's HEAVY. Love it though -- I make a lot of things with it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575235[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-outside.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Mim, thank you for sharing your story
Susan, I'm headed to the covered deck with mine this afternoon. The only problem with sewing outdoors is if it is windy, have to keep weights on everything, which to me is more trouble than it's worth.

Sewing on picnic tables when we go fishing is wonderful, but I alsy have a little folding table that just fits in front of my seat, if conditions outside aren't good, conditions inside are just fine And the vew is always delicious
Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Wow, this is a cool machine. Thanks for the pics. I want to get a handcrank for the grandkids when they are over (oldest 5). They all, boys and girls are intrigued with my treadle but it is really too much for them.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 PM

This machine looks so friendly! And inviting!
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mim View Post
I will have to find a pix I took while I was in St Petersburg Russia. I was staying with a lady for 2 weeks. I didn't know her, she was just earning extra money.

One night she was sewing curtains on a hand crank sewing machine. She also had a new electric machine, but preferred the hand crank. It had been her mothers -- way back it was originally a treadle -- they treasured it all these years -- even during WW2 when The city was surrounded by the Nazi army for 3 years and there was no food or heat. After WW2 it was electrified and then in 1975 she had someone weld a hand crank to it.

She liked it because she said it sewed each stitch straight not at an angle like all modern machines.

It is called the Red Revolution sewing machine

Mim
So much love and memory in one machine to pass from family member to family member. I do not come from a long line of sewers. I do not think any of my grands or greats even had sewing machines. I got my first sewing machine from my step-father who in his mid-forties decided he wanted to learn.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...653-573602.jpg

This Wilcox and Gibbs is small enough to be mistaken for a toy. It will likely end up with a custom hand crank and base on it.
Thanks for the link!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Unhappy My saddest VSM story

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576270[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]576271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]576272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]576273[/ATTACH]This brings up a sad story. When I first started looking for a vintage machine, this one came along on CL. It was a small, handcrank, vibrating shuttle Colliers machine. My research indicated it was made in Germany in early 1900s, badged and sold by English firm, Colliers. It was so cute, had accessories including feet, shuttles and bobbins. Had a really beautiful carved and inlaid wooden case and she only wanted $35.00. I was looking for a fully functional treadlable machine and insisted I wasn't interested in collecting. That, and I found it would be very hard to replace the front shuttle cover because it was unique to that manufacturer (I can't remember the German company). So I reluctantly walked away (can you believe it!!!). NOW I want a handcrank, although I am not really into the VS machines. And the price for this beauty! I didn't take good pictures because I didn't know enough then, but here is what I have, just for the sake of posterity ;-)
The CL posting was gone the next day, of course!
Attached Thumbnails img_1720-small-.jpg   img_1719-small-.jpg   img_1718-small-.jpg   img_1716-small-.jpg  
Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 AM

I have a Singer 66- 16 in a wooden base. I hesitate to use it because the wiring needs to be redone. Please tell me if this model would be a good candidate to turn it into a hand crank machine. Thks.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 AM

If 66-16 has the motor boss on the pillar under the handwheel you can attach a hand crank. You will have to get a reproduction made in China. Sometimes original Hand cranks come up for sale on ebay but be prepared to pay $60 + for one.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Glenn - do you mean is the motor on the right end of the machine vs in the back (like my 15- 91)?

Do you leave the motor attached or remove it?

I've not had any luck finding a hand crank on eBay. I know my Singer 66 and if it's a good candidate I'd prefer to use it.

Last edited by Pudge; 07-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.