Snap! crackle! pop!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Singerguy. I am headed for bed soon but will post pics tomorrow. I ordered a new cord off Sew-Classic tonight so I will keep my fingers crossed.
no worries. for wires i just go to my local Home Depot. they have the spt-2 gauge 18 wires.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
no worries. for wires i just go to my local Home Depot. they have the spt-2 gauge 18 wires.
Me too. I rewired the controller myself. The cord I bought has the fitting needed to match the terminal and it is riveted closed. It looks like it was originally planned for wall and foot cont. but now has only the lead to the wall. I wired the foot on the inside of the terminal like for a table installation.

Hubby has a tester so I will check it after he is up today.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Thanks. I will double check everything. First I have to take a break and dry a wet dog lol!
Take a break and dry a wet dog”. I’ve never heard that terminology for taking a break after the arcin’, sparkin’, fizzin’, flashin’, smokin’, and stinkin’ all subsided. The next time it happens to me, after resetting the circuit breaker, I think that’s what I’ll say I need to do too. (pop, fizzz, crackle...)

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Take a break and dry a wet dog”. I’ve never heard that terminology for taking a break after the arcin’, sparkin’, fizzin’, flashin’, smokin’, and stinkin’ all subsided. The next time it happens to me, after resetting the circuit breaker, I think that’s what I’ll say I need to do too. (pop, fizzz, crackle...)

CD in Oklahoma
lol! I had it plugged into a surge protector and hit the off switch so no need to reset the circuit breaker. And I really did need to dry a wet dog. I found a tick on my little long-haired dog so now he is a short haired dog.

I used hubby's testor and sure enough the dang cord I bought is set up wrong. The line from the main power is going to the 1st and 2nd terminal spots.

I just got a shipping notice so my new cord is already on the way-yay! In the meantime I would like to see if I could take this other cord apart and re-wire it correctly. It never hurts to have a spare.

Does anyone have a good method for getting rivets out? It's bakelite, so I could break it, but if I can get it apart I can re-wire it and it becomes useable again.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:34 AM

I found info on-line about drilling out the rivets and that went well. When I got the end piece open I could plainly see the wiring done incorrectly and also the third conductor is missing. Arg. My plan was to re-wire this for both wall plug and foot controller. I wonder if I can make the part? Sure wish I had Steve's metal shop!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0255-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0263-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 11:35 AM

Christy,

Don't you just hate it when new stuff is defective? I do.

You might be able to modify a spade connector for the third wire. You can get them at most hardware stores.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 07-19-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Christy,

Don't you just hate it when new stuff is defective? I do.

You might be able to modify a spade connector for the third wire. You can get them at most hardware stores.

Joe
Thanks for the idea! I'll look into that.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM

I am getting closer but not close enough yet! I put the first cord aside and got the new one in the mail yesterday. I still had problems getting my Pfaff to sew. This morning I found a wiring diagram specific to the Pfaff and it is NOT wired like a Singer so that is my first problem. I wired it up correctly and got every running but after a couple minutes I had the same snap crackle pop from the foot controller. I'm going to open that up next and look for a capacitor or anything that might be causing the problem and see if I can figure it out.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Christy,

Sorry about giving you the wrong wiring diagram, I've never worked on a Pfaff and didn't know they were wired different.

If your foot controller is a carbon type resistance unit it's probably suffering from a build up of carbon. That can cause a fire in the controler, so don't use it.

Here's a blog done by Arcaic Arcane about that:
{ http://www.archaicarcane.com/what-a-pile-of/ }

Joe
Old 07-22-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Christy,

If your foot controller is a carbon type resistance unit it's probably suffering from a build up of carbon. That can cause a fire in the controler, so don't use it.

Joe
joe,

she already tried using a second foot controller (as per her previous post) and she got the same result. what's the likelihood of that happening twice - hmmm quite puzzling. now i am beginning to think that there's something wrong with the electrical current.... maybe, just maybe.