So this is how it starts huh?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Vridar
I'm relative new here and had/have the same question. My deduction, right or wrong, is that it is light making it more portable and sews a nice stitch. Nothing wrong with that.
Hehehe, I was wondering the same a few months ago. But there are very, very few FW listed in my area, and I didn't like the idea of getting one on ebay, so I wasn't thinking of getting one. Then, one day, I saw one on Kijiji (local CL). The price asked was decent (175$), the machine was in perfect condition, so I got it. I was driven by the curiousity to see, like you said, what was the deal with it. I told myself that if there was nothing there for me, it would be easy to resell it for the same price; no harm in trying. Well, after playing with it for a few weeks now, I can say one thing: I understand why people fall in love with this model. It' like trying not to love human or animal babies; the FW performs as well as her "big sisters" (I have a Singer 15-91 also) but in addition, it is cute and sound nice (very quiet clic/clic/clic). So, in my opinion, it have something to do with the feeling you get while using it. Will I keep it? Not this one, because I found another one for 40$ last week (lucky me!). But I don't think I will ever piece my quilt with another one...
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lew Schiller
This is the Kenmore I turned up at GW - slightly earlier
Is this a 158.1946? I have one I got new in 1978 for my HS graduation. It was my only machine for 25 years and it's still going strong. I don't use it much now but have a sentimental attachment to it because my Daddy bought it for me. I still have everything that came with it.

I loaned it to my Mom for awhile to bring hers home to work on (also a Kenmore). She had taken it to a local "big" sewing machine shop for service. They sprayed something white in it (I could see the spray pattern) that turned into glue inside and froze it solid inside about 2 years later (guarantees repeat business? I could see it, "Ma'm, we just can't fix it this time, but I could off you a discount for trade it on a new machine ..."). It took a week of PB Blaster and wiggling to get it freed up so I couod clean it. She's now not allowed to let anyone but me work on her machine.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 AM

It's a 158.1336
I understand what you mean about others working on things. We're fortunate to have a few reliable people here in Metro Denver.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 AM

You are in Denver - did you see the post about the Two Spool at Goodwill (on auction)?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-14275907.html

If you want to be a collector of any sort - you NEED to buy this machine. And if you don't, would you consider picking it up and shipping it to me?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM

That SewMor is uber cool. Uber! I want it!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
You are in Denver - did you see the post about the Two Spool at Goodwill (on auction)?

If you want to be a collector of any sort - you NEED to buy this machine. And if you don't, would you consider picking it up and shipping it to me?
I'd be happy to help! PM coming your way

That SewMor is uber cool. Uber! I want it!
And I'm sure you can get it :-)
http://denver.craigslist.org/for/4048728930.html
They're a cam machine right? Don't see any in the photo. I asked him about that and he hasn't replied.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Nice, love the vintage machines!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Why do I LOVE my featherweight? Because it sews like butter, because it's stitch is even and perfectly balanced and because it has never ever failed me. It is my go to machine at home and on the road. I believe it was fate that told me to go to my thrift store on a early Monday morning after dropping my boys at wrestling practice, I saw that black box from the doorway of the store and r-a-n!!!!!!! Cost -27.00 but in reality my featherweight is priceless to me.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lew Schiller
Seriously - we were sent out into the world, by and large, not knowing how to properly buy food, make a decent meal, do a load of wash, repair a garment - let alone make one. We were destined to spend our young lives circling fast food drive throughs wearing filthy clothes...but in really nice cars.
Too right! It seems I have talent when it comes to cooking too, but didn't discover it until after I left home. Back then boys were expected to only leave home when we got married and the wife was expected to do everything.
Not sure about now, but all domestic things are probably optional now. Bit sad really. If just a semester, like you said, a lot more people would realise a talent or simply have less filthy dorms

Oh and featherweights are popular for three reasons (anyone want to add to this?):
1. Really light
2. Really good stitch
3. Really good build quality

Alex Askaroff gives a demo on youtube
222k is the one to get, but they're rare (especially in the U.S. for some reason). I have one of each.

EDIT: link to 222k demo

Last edited by manicmike; 09-25-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added link to 222k demo
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby

Then there's this
http://denver.craigslist.org/atq/4091272815.html