Standard Rotary help please

Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Default Standard Rotary help please

Hi,
I have what I believe to be my Great grandfather's Standard Rotary sewing machine. As a genealogy buff I would love to figure out if it was his and used during his time as a tailor or if it is more likely my grandmother's. The serial number is 778344. My goal is to restore it but don't want to touch anything until I have as much information as possible.

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-08-2018, 04:35 AM

I don't think there are records of serial numbers and dates of produciton for Standard machines like Singer. You can get an idea if you compare serial numbers to other Standard machines of known date. Another way is to post a picuture of your machine, and someone might recognize the particular model. From cabinets, decals and details on the machine you can often narrow down date production.

There's a bit of info here, nothing that helps date it, but it is a start. The Standard Sewing machine was in production from around 1880 to 1929, when company was bought up. Production of Standard models were probably kept up until 1934 when Singer bought the company. I found it mentioned on Sewmuse.

There are a few who probably knows more about the company, and might help identify your machine on the Victorian Sweatshop, some over there are active here too.

I don't know if older family members can confirm about the ownership of your machine, it tends to be the only source of info like that.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-08-2018 at 04:38 AM.