Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The start of having a hand crank >

The start of having a hand crank

The start of having a hand crank

Old 12-03-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Can you turn the balance wheel by hand? Needle moves up and down? If it's been in storage for ages the motor pulley is known to be a bit slow at first too, turning the hand wheel by hand can help making sure the pulley turns a few times. A lot depends on oiling and cleaning the machine in general. The motor can take a single drop of oil on each of the grease wicks; it will hopefully reach the ends of the motor axl. It's a bit worrysome to oil a motor like this, and it really should not be oiled in general, but a single drop can work wonders on old dried up grease wicks.

I don't know if you know the 99 well, but there is one thing with the bobbin case; slide the bobbin cover off completely, lift the lever slightly up and towards you, it will release the bobbin case for cleaning and oiling. Don't mess with the screw in front of the bobbin case unless you have to and are prepared to spend quite some time with the service manual for aligning parts correctly. It will mess up tread tension if it doesn't go back right.
Ha, I just figured out the problem with the motor. As the old saying goes, all else fails, read. It is a 220/240 volt motor which is why my power cord and pedal will not work. It did not come with a power unit.

So, since I do not have the power cords for the 220 motor, is there anyway to convert this to a 110? I am not sure where to go from here.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM

You have to replace motor and usually pedal too. If it has a Singer lamp, they are identical for either Voltage, except the bulb. I think there are step up converters, a small square box to go from 110V to 220V. They can be found many places where they sell electrical equipment and is the easy way about it. Here step down is the most common challenge, but I'm sure it's standard procedure in the US. From what I have heard, a 22V motor often runs with US 110V, but very slowly. A 99 is not a particuarly slow machine, it stitches along speedy enough for most jobs.

Last edited by Mickey2; 12-03-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 AM

Yes, replacing with a 110 motor/ controller isn't a big job. Tscweaves did you click on the link? We were preparing for an onslaught of 1400 kids coming through a history museum. Many of the kids came by several times to sew scraps with us.

This year we should have a total of 4 helpers at out tables. hmm Which machines to take???
Old 12-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
... Janey, most of ours will go into the cases if the arm is folded under in the right place.
Thank you, Leon. This is the one I couldn't remember on the other thread. It looks like the 66 red head in your link needs to take the handle off to get the lid on. That is unless you altered the cover.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:24 AM

he he Janey, That 66 doesn't have a lid at all. Not a problem with that. I should have fessed up on that one.