Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Strong SM Mojo - Where are they coming from? >

Strong SM Mojo - Where are they coming from?

Strong SM Mojo - Where are they coming from?

Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM

Default Strong SM Mojo - Where are they coming from?

Sewing machines apparently come in bunches. Haven't bought a machine in two years, but in the last couple of months they just seems to be finding me. I've more than doubled the number of machines I have.

First was a 1928 Singer 99, given to me by a friend. Can't turn down a free machine and she needed a little TCL. I could give her that.

Then the Pfaff 130, well I've wanted a 130 for a while and I finally found one at a good price.

Followed by another free machine, a cute little 185K, green is my favorite color.

And then, a Singer 15-91, same story as the Pfaff.

But it turned out that the 15-91 needed a new shellac coat. So I bought a cheap, abused 66 to practice French polishing.

But then, I got another 15-91, the price was so low, they were practically giving it away and it came in a nice #70 cabinet.

Then the holy grail, are you ready for this -- a near perfect, one owner 221K for $50. No one could pass that up! I thought it had to be a scam, but I could figure out an angle on it, so I checked it out and it was legit.

So that it! No more machines! I have four that need rewiring and two that need serious work to save their decals and finish. But then this pretty little lady showed up (again for a great price).

img_1966-2-.jpg

Who could pass her up. A 1914 Red Eye, really nice decals. I think the Singer decal on the front is fine, just needs some careful cleaning

And I live in an area where I check out Craigslist just for the entertainment value. Folks ask stupid ridiculous prices for machines straight out of the attic or shed. I've alway read people's stories of that really great find with just a bit of envy, figured it would never happen to me. So if you feel the same way don't give up hope.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:30 AM

Nice scores and nice machines! Great deal on the FW! I'm another that checks out CL daily for entertainment. Sometimes it works, most days it's just for a chuckle.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:22 AM

isn't it fun when things work out like that. You have some wonderful machines to play with.. and yes .. it can happen. pics are always welcome. Does your 185 have a green cord too?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 AM

Oh Tammy I finally had to stop looking as I was getting way too many machines-just on the edge of hoarding but like you when the price is just too good to pass up ya just gotta grab it. The Singer Red Eye is what started my obsession with vintage machines but they are ridiculously priced here, scored one for 40.00 that needs a new motor and rewiring. Hubby is an electrician by trade and has offered to see what he can do with it but I am unsure how or where to buy a motor for it, yes it came with a motor, If I had the room I turn it back to a treadle.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 AM

Yep, the 185k has all the original cords, wiring is in fine shape and it runs well. It has a rather large chip on the front of the bed that I will try to fix some day. I sure color matching will take quite a bit of work. The cabinet is sturdy with nice mid-century lines, but is made from press board with a rather ugly plastic/paper veneer, so I will paint it.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:56 AM

The Red Eye came out of a treadle, the guy I got it from bought it for the iron legs. I will likely put a motor on it. I have no room for a treadle. I like to use my machines and I am an electric gal. My plan is to find a 66 in a case or cabinet I like with a working motor. Until recently I only had portables, but now I have three in cabinets. I think I could do just one more cabinet, so It would have to be one I really want.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:33 AM

I am envious of you. Especially about the 221 Singer! The Red Eye is so pretty. As much as my space is dwindling I would find a space for all of these. Great finds.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:45 AM

You are so lucky - enjoy those great machines!
Old 04-01-2020, 11:09 AM

I spent a good portion of yesterday cleaning up the Red Eye. Though I have other sewing machines to work on, this girl jumped to the front of the line. The front of the machine was in good shape, but the back was (not surprisingly) pretty grungy, the decals faded to black in some places.

img_1968.jpg img_1971.jpg

Tried not to clean too much, I want to keep her original patina. Unfortunately the black did not come off the lettering in the front, but she is still beautiful. Now to clean up the shiny bits. I have to order some metal polish surprisingly we don't seem to have any around. She has a bit of superficial rust, but her insides are nice and clean. Can't wait to see the hand wheel with nice bright chrome. One day when I have mastered French polishing, I will give her a coat of shellac to make sure her decals are well protected.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:59 PM

What a difference. Well done.