Stuck-Up Rust Bucket

Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Good I always take pics so I can get things back together. Like Miriam said I hope nothing is bent.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:14 PM

crocee. I've taken many many of these machines to there bare bones, I once read in a ladys blog that it takes her 23 hrs down and back together . I kinda doubted that , welllllllllllllllll my first time around ( FR white) took me 25 hours, This is down to removing the upper shaft..

your machine will take a couple days.. if your 8 months plus into this, then just do it, but just start off by disconnecting the lower shaft from the upper shaft, the rods on the bottom, then see how it turns. then take every thing off the head/ needle bar area. The only thing that is a pain on a singer is removing it's stitch length pivot,, big screw under the hand wheel, I use a 1/4" racket and socket with a flat tip screw driver bit to get that screw out.. I'm willing to bet thats where the problem is if I remember right, there is a washer/ shim in there so do this on a old towel, when it falls out it would roll off the table and get lost ..

in going back together fine sand paper (the black stuff ) every Pivot point there is, use hot water to wash the curd away.. This is where it takes so many hours.

you'll be very happy you did, it will or should spin like a top, you'll then learn all the adjustment point a sewing machine has..

Don't be surprised, when your hanging over the kitchen sink at midnight cleaning all her parts, that she start talking to you . telling you how far she wants to be fixed back up or even what she wants to sew on again..

It happens but then I have a brand new roll of tin foil to make new hats
Old 09-09-2014, 05:30 PM

also 98% of the screws and pins only fit where they came from. meaning there sizes so you really do get these mixed up.. just keep them group by there sizes.. that big stitch length screw. I have on some had to get a very large screw driver with vise grips clamp right at the tip where it's flat to break that screw loose. might take two people one to push the screw driver in the other to crank on the vise grips.

also plan on your hands getting as dirty as a guy working on a old car
Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Is anything bend or missing?
Not that I can tell.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
also 98% of the screws and pins only fit where they came from. meaning there sizes so you really do get these mixed up.. just keep them group by there sizes.. that big stitch length screw. I have on some had to get a very large screw driver with vise grips clamp right at the tip where it's flat to break that screw loose. might take two people one to push the screw driver in the other to crank on the vise grips.

also plan on your hands getting as dirty as a guy working on a old car
I've rebuilt motors so my hands are used to dirt and grease.
I always wondered why I have so many smaller ziploc bags, now I know why. To put sections of machine parts in them.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Banned

Ziploc and a Sharpie are definitely your friend when tearing a machine down.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Ziploc and a Sharpie are definitely your friend when tearing a machine down.
Hey, welcome back!

Cari
Old 09-10-2014, 12:51 PM

I'm old and senile and confuseled
Me too!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Does anybody have a 128?
Yes, I have a 128 with La Vencedora decals. I don't have any pics but can take some if someone want to see it. Its serial number is G7461198 and here is the info on the Singer site:
G- 7453126 7473125 128 20000 October 14 1919
Old 09-10-2014, 01:14 PM

I had a rusted/stuck 15 that once the set screw were loose, i used a hammer and a piece of scrap brass to coax the needle and presser bars down a bit, then used a bolt and nut that just squeezed in with some aluminum bits and "unthreaded" the bolt a bit, then I applied heat with a heatshrink gun (hair dryer on steroids). You can easily bend rods if not careful, but it was a throw away anyway.Eventually I got it loose