Suggestions?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Red face Suggestions?

I have my mom's old treadle Singer model 127, manufactured in 1918, that hasn't been actively used for probably 50 years. I would really rather a professional look it over, oil it, etc. before I start trying to remember how to sew on it. Do I just start calling up sewing machine shops from the yellow pages, or is there a database of any sort, with people and/or shops that work on treadle machines?

Thanks for any ideas and/or suggestions!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 PM

I will bet you beef chimichanga that in 99% of the sewing machine shops you'd call there is no one who would know how to service a classic machine like that. Stick a Windows operating system in it then they might have a clue.

OK, there are many tutorials right here on this forum in the stickies at the top of this page that will guide you in the right direction.
These machines are simple, simple, simple to service. Few moving parts, very little to go wrong. Check the stickies at the top and wait a bit for those who can give you more info than I can and you'll have all the info you'll need.

Joe
Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Hi,

Most likely all that is needed to get you 127 sewing well is a few well placed drops of oil. Here's a manual for use and maintenance compliments of the Smithsonian:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...2678/index.htm

To bring machine to a shop or individual, I would consult the local sewing supply / fabric shop for recommendations or your idea of the yellow pages is also good.

Good Luck
Jon
Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Muv has a fantastic tutorial in the sticky section above but incase you can't find it here is a link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
If the finish on the machine is damaged, Glenn has written a very nice tutorial for repairing finish: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html

If you have questions, feel free to go to http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ll-t43881.html and ask
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I read through the instructions for overhauling a treadle machine, and would still rather someone else do it!

Jon, thanks especially for that wonderful manual - I had seen rough copies of manuals for the 127 before, but none like that one!!

I'm planning to call around this week - will let you all know what I find out!

Nancy
Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 PM

you'll be charged a hourly rate. you would be better off buyinmg a 800 $ machine...

I'd say you supply machine/cabinet, depending on how bad, between 500 and 600. To do a complete on head and cabinet ..

depending on how rusty/dirty . and finish wanted. plus no broken or missing parts...
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

A lot of the time the old machines need just a simple clean up. Since you already have it, why don't you just try to clean it up like Muv shows in the video. If you can follow directions to make a quilt maybe you can follow directions to clean the machine. If you have run into thread tangles or what not on your sewing machine and successfully fixed it you can do this. If you get over your head maybe you can then take it somewhere and see what they can do to help. It might save a bit of money. The info Muv gives is so easy to follow - just watch the video a few times. The manual will show you how it should all go. If it isn't like it should be then you need to worry. Go slow. Just do a little at a time. Be sure to put it back as soon as it is clean. Then go on and do the next thing. You can take pictures, make drawings, keep things together in the order you took them off. Get someone to encourage you as you go.

I do not see a picture of the machine. Before you do Glenn's tutorial you will need to send a picture of the machine to Glenn so he can tell you what he thinks your machine needs. We did that on a really icky looking machine and were very surprised at how quick it was to do and how good it looks when done. No decals were compromised.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 AM

I bought a white treadle a while back. Took it home and ran the wheel by hand. Everything that moved or looked like it should move, I oiled. Changed the needle and its been sewing ever since. I'd try myself first and save the tons of money it's going to cost you for someone else to oil it. You pretty much can't break a treadle with oil.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
I bought a white treadle a while back. Took it home and ran the wheel by hand. Everything that moved or looked like it should move, I oiled. Changed the needle and its been sewing ever since. I'd try myself first and save the tons of money it's going to cost you for someone else to oil it. You pretty much can't break a treadle with oil.
Well, actually if you use 3-in-1 oil you can do some damage when it dries out and sets like concrete but otherwise I don't think you'll do any damage. Dried oil and rust are the biggest problems I see. I would prefer dried on oil.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 AM

My Mom's 301 hadn't been used in at least 40 years, probably more. I gave it a good cleaning and oiled according to the service manual. It sews like a dream. Why not try that first to see if there are any real problems. You can download a manual if you need help with the places to oil and lube the motor.