Tension screw on 99

Old 10-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Tension screw on 99

I fixed a 99 today. Love when stars align. It was the timing and I only have fixed this a few times and always muddle thru. But it picks up the thread beautifully now.

I need a replacement tension screw on the bobbin - its missing and although the timing is fixed - its not stitching well because the bobbin tension is too loose. Where oh where do I find this?

Lastly, the machine lights surges each time the foot pedal is engaged. When I swap out with a different foot pedal all is fine. Should I take apart the pedal and clean it or just buy a new pedal from Sew Classic.

Thanks for your help. The machine owner - sews moccasins - so I am going to hand her a well oiled working 99 for a pair! And the weather is getting colder up here in Canada.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM

Never seen just the screw for the bobbin case tension. It would probably be easier to just buy a replacement bobbin case. As for the foot pedal issue, they are pretty simple once you get inside of them, so I would open it up and see if you can clean it, or see if there are any obvious issues.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

You can just buy a bobbin case. I don't know if a screw off some other bobbin case would work or not. I never throw out dead bobbin cases - they store screws pretty nicely.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Thanks Miriam. Found one from a bobbin case I wasnt using that fits. Problem solved.

I took the foot pedal apart (at least 6 times) and it still doesnt have an even current and makes the light brighten and dim when I put press down on the pedal.

Oh well. The machine is fixed. Guess she will have to buy one from sew-classic.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Power Poster

I didn't know that screw fit from one kind of tension to another. I will need to remember that!

Did you polish off the contacts on the foot control?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:58 AM

If the light dims as the foot controller is used there must be a wiring problem. Normally the wires from the light go directly to the two wires on the power cord. The light is switched so it doesn't need to run any other way. If the light is dimming as the pedal is pushed then it's somehow wired to the controller.

Before doing anything else I'd check that wiring. You might have some crossed wires that could cause trouble.

I have some wiring diagrams I saved but the moderators won't let me post them here. If I do they delete my posts.
I'll send them to you if you want via email. I'd post a link to them, but I don't know where I got them. Too many computer failures have cost me a lot of data.

Joe
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 AM

With my spit maybe I should open it up again and do that. Anything I should be polishing with?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:04 AM

Thanks Joe. The wiring on the machine and light seem fine. I have 2 of my own foot pedals that I used that don't cause the dimming. I would love the diagrams and will PM my email.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Bugs me that I can't solve this. The pedal is in excellent shape. Better than some of mine....the dimming in my gut....seems to be wrong wiring.....the 3 prong end, looked to be tampered with (opened and not closed flush). Could the order of those be the culprit.

Last edited by vanginney; 10-27-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 AM

Thanks Joe....you.ve given me lots of things to try now. I'm gonna to start with switching my prong wires....1 & 3! Could get zapped.