Texas Centennial Machine

Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bebe2Ten View Post
I've never seen one, either, though I know that there are some Featherweights out there with the centennial badge. But at around $3K, they are way out of my league!!! I hope this 66 finds a good home. On another note, I got a green 185 via USPS today which I won on E-Bay. Unfortunately, the machine was dumped in a box with a few pieces of styrofoam tossed in. The case was shattered, the motor mount was completely broken, and the machine is so badly damaged that I doubt it will never sew again. I've asked for a refund. Keep your fingers crossed.
I'm so sorry to hear about your machine. My daughter bought me a 99K from Goodwill and the base of the case was broken into bits. I was so upset but hubby helped me glue it back together. It looks presentable now.
I was lucky that the machine itself was not damaged.
Two weeks ago I purchased a 185K from Goodwill and had my fingers and toes crossed that she would arrive intact..
She was just fine and now I'm cleaning her up so she can join my other vintage machines.
I hope you find another one soon and have good luck with the shipping
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 PM

I'm glad yours arrived intact. I've really had pretty good luck with machines being shipped. This one cost more for shipping than the actual price of the machine, so it isn't a huge loss, financially. And the seller is going to refund my money. But hey! If that's the worse thing that happens to me this week, then I'm good. I'm sure another one will turn up. It's not like I don't have anything to sew with -- haha.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
Interesting. Serial number in picture dates it to 1926, but it has a 1936 Texas Exposition Badge. Wonder if they just took some machines sitting in inventory and changed the badge to ship it to Texas?
10 years is an awfully long time (though those particular 10 years were full of a lot of upheaval and a shortage of money worldwide, so maybe sewing machine sales were low enough to see them have a stock pile that big.), but what Singer did is make machines and store them til they were to be shipped to dealers (and possibly in this case to the Texas Exhibition) The machines didn't get their badges til they were about to leave the factories.

That's how I ended up with a 1948 Singer Centennial 15-90. The DH read that on a site somewhere, but I don't know where he found it.

So assuming they were new machines leaving Singer's factories to attend this event, that's probably what happened. Otherwise, jennb is probably right.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM

I have a 1948 badged centennial featherweight. And I have a featherweight that was "born" during the correct centennial time period that is not badged. Go figure!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Red face Singer 66 Texas Centennial Expo

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Either that or they sent the Texas Expo badges to the dealers who were selling at the expo to put on their existing inventory. From what I read you were only able to buy machines with this badge at the event.
I'm the lucky one who bought it in Austin. We live about an hour away.
It needs a little work but my husband can get it sewing again and it just needs some extra TLC. I collect Singer machines and it will have a special place in our home. Never thought I would ever see one to buy. I'm so excited! I plan on doing more research on it. I worked for Singer in San Antonio in the late 70's early 80's and never heard of this one back then. It's very special! I have a Singer Centennial 201 also.

Last edited by Singergirlforever; 08-10-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM

I've had two 185's arrive battered, cases broken badly. The machines can be repaired by my husband but I did get one full and one partial refund, did not have to return them. I've had two other Singers arrive safely. I shop on ebay a lot and so far I'm not out any $ really. I've been very lucky with yard sales & Craigslist when looking. Bebe2ten you I both live in Texas, keep trying with ebay but check out Craigslist in your area. I got two 185s on Craigslist too, for $60 for both, picked them up. People don't know what they have and sometimes they are not working just because they need oiling and lubing. Good luck!!!!

Last edited by Singergirlforever; 08-10-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Awesome that you were able to get the Centennial Singer. I hope you will post pictures when you get it ready. I will keep up the hunt for a 185 and I'm not in any particular hurry. I really splurged last year and bought a model 99 which Leo Kujat painted Kandy Apple Red. She's a real beauty. All my other machines are in their original state and will stay that way. BTW, the seller of the 185 from E-Bay has refunded me full price and shipping costs. He couldn't have been any nicer.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 AM

oh well, at least it got to go to a good home. I was sorta hoping whoever was showing up would be a no show!
I would love to see more photos of it when you get her up and running again
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Wink TEXAS Centennial

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
oh well, at least it got to go to a good home. I was sorta hoping whoever was showing up would be a no show!
I would love to see more photos of it when you get her up and running again
The machine was totally locked up but my husband oiled her real good when we got her home and she's freed up quite a bit, have to work oh her more but she will be sewing again. There is a little bit of cosmetic work to do but the decals are all perfect! The hand wheel is a bit pitted and has a bit of rust but may just leave it or change it out for a good one (we have extra parts). Either way she will be used, I like to sew on several different machines. When she is done, I will be happy to post a photo, if I can figure out how.