Tgif

Old 09-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Default Tgif

TGIF

About 7 months ago I started a quilted cover for my Singer 66-4 Treadle #2. I got the machine in November of last year and finally got it retro fitted back to a treadle in February. I had no idea what I was doing so I took a piece of one my wife’s green cutting boards that fell from a shelf and broke into pieces and cut a 3 ½” wide by about 10” long template and put a 45º angle on one end.

Then I began to cut out strips from any and all scraps my wife had from previous projects. Most of those were cat prints. I threw in a few pieces of camo material and one large panel from a piece she had.

Eventually I started piecing the strips together to make lengths, then I pieced the lengths into a rectangle. I did all this on the treadle machine.

After the top was finished I took it downstairs to the cutting table and we cut out the batting. Screwed it up so I had to piece it too. Since it was handy I used the 413 for that.

Then we cut out the fleece for the bottom and pinned it. About 8 gazillion pins. If any of you ask I’ll be very polite and tell you I despise pins. I think you’ll understand why.

Once back at the treadle I quilted the thing.

It didn’t take near as long to quilt it as I had though it would, but I will tell you, I had a major leg cramp when I was finished. Here is a pic of me holding the semi finished quilt with the machine and my supervisor in there too.

After quilting it we found we had misjudged where the corners were to be and had to add four strips and the corners to make it fit. I was so frustrated my wife turned around, fired up the 201-2 and had them in about 15 minutes later. I would have got around to it, but she just did it. You can see the additions in the finished quilt pics below.

It sat for several weeks while I did this and that, fixed a bunch of things, cases, treadle cabinets, machines and other things. Finally I got to finishing it Monday night.

At that point all I had to do was even up the bottom edges then put the bias tape on it.
I did that on the treadle using the walking foot.

Here is some last pics of my Singer 66 Treadle #2 and its quilted cover. I’ve learned a bit while doing this, but the one thing I really learned is to be patient with …. myself. I’m my own worst enemy when I’m doing something I’m just learning to do.

Close up of 66 #2

Close up of the walking foot.

It’s a generic walking foot I found in my wifes Bernina 930 accessories box. She told me she got it from Clotilde some years back. All I know is it works on the straight stitch machines as well as low shank ZZ machines.

Machine open:

Machine closed:
Old 09-19-2012, 02:23 PM

And the quilt cover, inside:

Outside:

Close up of the front panel:

This was a lot of work. The cats like it too. Just after taking this pic the fuzzy kitty in the third picture was curled up sound asleep right in the middle of it. Camera wasn't handy then.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 09-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM

It's wonderful! Way to stick with it!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Nice job! I just saw a machine like this on my local Craig's List...at least I THINK it's like yours...here's the link:

http://fresno.craigslist.org/for/3282088395.html

They are asking $400 for it. What year are these machines?

Diannia
Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Diannia,

Well, that is pretty much exactly like my machine. Same decals, same cabinet. It's an early 66-1, notice the back clamp feet, and the cabinet is really nice too. But I wouldn't go over $200.00 for even if it has every attachment and accessory and a full set of feet with it.
The red eyes were made from before 1910 to around the late 20s. But I don't know the exact dates.

I have 5 functional treadles and if you add all them up, even the repairs and parts, I don't have $400.00 in them.

Just my opinion, for what's it's worth.

Joe
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM

I'm impressed! Good job.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Love the cats. The cover's awfully nice, too Your pictures are making me even more anxious to get Colette (my red eye) up and running!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 PM

Great job, Joe. Though, I hate to tell you that walking foot doesn't fit your machine. If you look closely, the feed dogs on it don't fit your machine. That walking foot is probably a 5mm? Although it attaches and it may help a little, it doesn't do what it's engineered to do:< This is the same issue with all walking feet on the market and slant 301's. However, there is a low shank walking foot out(specifically made for these feed dogs and for the FW) . You will find that it will improve your quilting and stitching.

Walking feet really need to be bought to fit the size of the feed dogs as well as the shank. Look at it as another reason to buy a neat attachment!

Last edited by Candace; 09-19-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM

Candace,

This is quite true, but it's what I had and it did help quite a bit. We will eventually get one made for the straight stitch machines. I think you're right about the 5 mm wide needle slot too.

Do you have any links to one of the walking feet for the straight stitchers?

Joe
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM

Here is one, I think they can be had for a few dollars less if you hunt. It may be an Alphasew foot, http://www.april1930s.com/html/walki...herweight.html