Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there any hope for this craigslist find? >

Is there any hope for this craigslist find?

Is there any hope for this craigslist find?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM

I've refurbished 2, 319's and the parts are not cheap. If it were free, it may be worth your time, elbow grease a some money for parts, but I agree with everyone else. Keep looking.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM

You know a vintage machine is really far gone when the consensus here is that it's not worth the time. : (
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM

the 319 is a really fast sewing machine. but--the bobbin area is hard to reach & replace. just drives me crazy when
I use it. especially would be awful to replace bobbins if you were FMQ. it also takes a different needle, while not
impossible to get, is more expensive to buy and not all the different ones available. I can tell you that much without
looking at the machine. if it is over $30, it is too high.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM

OMG !!!! I just looked at them. the whole mess is not worth $10. you would think someone would be ashamed
to even list them. run away fast.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by smitty View Post
the 319 is a really fast sewing machine. but--the bobbin area is hard to reach & replace. just drives me crazy when
I use it. especially would be awful to replace bobbins if you were FMQ. it also takes a different needle, while not
impossible to get, is more expensive to buy and not all the different ones available. I can tell you that much without
looking at the machine. if it is over $30, it is too high.
I have to say I completely disagree with your opinion of the 319. I don't find it very fast, really and I've had two. It's one of my favorite vintage machines. I don't find the bobbin case that much of a problem and it doesn't FMQ, so there's really no problem with that. Quite a few vintage machines take specialty needles and that's also something that when you buy this particular machine you have to accept in advance. As for the price, they go for much more than $30 typically. They're an awesome stitching maching and it rivals my 401 and 301 for stitch quality and has more cams available than the 401/500!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 AM

those machines are junk,,i would not spend the money on them,,i sewed on commercial machines for years in a sewing factory,so i know what are good machines,,if you are looking for a commercial machine,i know where there are some for sale,,,,you will have to buy another motor cause these are 3 phase,,,but motors aren't that expensive,,,and the head table and legs comes with these machines,,,almost ready to sew on with new motor..if interested pm me and i will get you the info,,thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 PM

I think I'd pass on those machines.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by carolyne2421 View Post
those machines are junk,,i would not spend the money on them,,i sewed on commercial machines for years in a sewing factory,so i know what are good machines,,if you are looking for a commercial machine,i know where there are some for sale,,,,you will have to buy another motor cause these are 3 phase,,,but motors aren't that expensive,,,and the head table and legs comes with these machines,,,almost ready to sew on with new motor..if interested pm me and i will get you the info,,thanks

I'm actually not that interested in getting a commercial machine. Out of the three the guy is selling I am only interested in the 319W. It is on my wishlist of machines. I have been bit by the vintage machine bug and wish that I had found this interest earlier, I totally wish now that I had become a sewing machine repairperson. I feel like I am too far into my school path to make a change now though.

I still can't get this 319W out of my head. I know it is in terrible condition, but I think I will keep the guys number and see in a few weeks if he will sell just the 319 for a much lower price. Like maybe $10-$15. We'll see.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 PM

If you can get it for $10 it would be worth it just for the parts.