Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there a machine that you just don't like .... >

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Old 08-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
This thread is full of hate.

I have a New Home that sews very, very slowly. I can't figure it out and don't have time but like the looks of it so I haven't trashed it:
But I reserve some intense disdain for a modern Singer plastic machine I was given, the 'Esteem'. It actually does sew but it feels like a toy and sounds terrible.
Oh, please don't trash the New Home, it's gorgeous.
If you think the Esteem is bad, try using it's sister, the Inspiration.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Oh, please don't trash the New Home, it's gorgeous.
If you think the Esteem is bad, try using it's sister, the Inspiration.

Cari
I think people trash machines just because the machine hasn't been properly cleaned and oiled or otherwise serviced and usually something fairly simple... Once the problem is solved the machine could go on for another 50 years or so - of course with a bit of TLC... Well maybe not a plastic wonder... Anyway, I've seen it over and over.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I think people trash machines just because the machine hasn't been properly cleaned and oiled or otherwise serviced and usually something fairly simple... Once the problem is solved the machine could go on for another 50 years or so - of course with a bit of TLC... Well maybe not a plastic wonder... Anyway, I've seen it over and over.
Yes I know that, just don't know people well enough here yet to know whether he's like a few people I know who part out working machines because they get more money that way. I'd save them all if I could. Well, maybe not some of the plastic ones.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Yes I know that, just don't know people well enough here yet to know whether he's like a few people I know who part out working machines because they get more money that way. I'd save them all if I could. Well, maybe not some of the plastic ones.

Cari
I save all I can. Some just have so much wrong it is as well to part - but I know where my parts are coming from - dead machines - not someone's live machine.... There are some machines I don't feel like fooling with - Joe collects them...
Old 08-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Banned

I save all I can. Some just have so much wrong it is as well to part - but I know where my parts are coming from - dead machines - not someone's live machine.... There are some machines I don't feel like fooling with - Joe collects them...
I have a couple I probably should part out but not ready to give up yet. Will think about it when I get serious about thinning my herd. Also have one I think is beyond even parting out, it's out on the carport and if it wasn't rusty enough, I think the cats have peed on it.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

I have a couple I probably should part out but not ready to give up yet. Will think about it when I get serious about thinning my herd. Also have one I think is beyond even parting out, it's out on the carport and if it wasn't rusty enough, I think the cats have peed on it.

Cari
You are welcome to borrow my sledgehammer...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t232536.html
That one was one of my early failures. It set on the screened porch and the roof leaked like a funnel into the machine. I pulled off usable parts before we did the deed... It was exactly what we both needed that particular day.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Banned

You are welcome to borrow my sledgehammer...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t232536.html
That one was one of my early failures. It set on the screened porch and the roof leaked like a funnel into the machine. I pulled off usable parts before we did the deed... It was exactly what we both needed that particular day.
I saw that, lol, I've had days I've felt like doing that. I have a Pfaff I need to get started on that I have a feeling will put me in that mood. My mom came to me with machine in one hand, 3 screws in the other. Dad opened up the machine to service it and after he put it back together had the screws left over. Sounds like a recipe for failure to me. I don't even want to do it.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I saw that, lol, I've had days I've felt like doing that. I have a Pfaff I need to get started on that I have a feeling will put me in that mood. My mom came to me with machine in one hand, 3 screws in the other. Dad opened up the machine to service it and after he put it back together had the screws left over. Sounds like a recipe for failure to me. I don't even want to do it.

Cari
Pfaff parts might be worth something...
We had a blast with that thread. A lot of folks around here swiped pics and used them for their avatar for a while. There are some who haven't let me forget about it.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Pfaff Tiptronic. I always wanted a Pfaff and found a used one online for a reasonable price. I called it my PMS machine. It always seemed to be on edge and it made me on edge. That machine had the best looking stitching I have ever seen on any machine I've had, and I've had a LOT of machines, but we just weren't simpatico. I made a bunch of quilts for Project Linus on it, then found it a new owner who already had one but wanted another one for her winter home. She went to a good home.

I purchased another Pfaff, model 1229, and I love it. We are simpatico.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Banned

This one is a Pfaff Hobby 4240. I just don't want to do it so I've been staying away from all machines for the last few days. To make matters even worse, when I'm done with that one I volunteered to service an old Singer for my cousin and when I went to pick it up, groan and sigh, it's a Futura 900. I think before I start these two I'm going to make myself a dammit doll. I don't have a sledgehammer.

Cari