Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there such a thing as a Singer 66 seam guide? >

Is there such a thing as a Singer 66 seam guide?

Is there such a thing as a Singer 66 seam guide?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:52 AM

Painters Tape is the new Duck Tape!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 AM

Cleaning the gunk out worked and my seam guide is happy as can be. I think I am going to glue, or just lay, somefelt under the end where it lays on the black paint.

Thanks, all!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:04 AM

I like the magnetic seam guide. It works quite well on all my different machines, and I don't have to figure out if it's the right one.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Susie,

How does the magnetic ones work for your aluminum bed machines? LOL

I suppose it all depends on your sewing style. I have one of those magnetic ones stuck to the pillar of my Alden ZZ machine. It takes a bunch of effort to get it off, but put it on the bed and run fabric against it and is scoots out of alignment. Beats me why.

Joe
Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Susie,

How does the magnetic ones work for your aluminum bed machines? LOL

I suppose it all depends on your sewing style. I have one of those magnetic ones stuck to the pillar of my Alden ZZ machine. It takes a bunch of effort to get it off, but put it on the bed and run fabric against it and is scoots out of alignment. Beats me why.

Joe
I have that same problem with the magnetic guides Joe. I tried to use it on my 66 treadle but it kept moving around so forget it!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
I was wondering about glueing a bit of felt onto the end of the guide where it hits the machine. And a magnetic business card is interesting, I will have to look for one. I know I don't want to use tape after the fight to remove tape residue from some of my machines. Does the painter's tape release easy enough to not damage the finish?
Yes, painter's tape releases easily. I have had it on my machine for over a year and it still peels off like I just put it on yesterday. We used it to mark locations for stitching lines on pockets on wheelchair bags we made recently for a nursing home. As I said "Painter's Tape is the new Duck Tape." It has many uses. I have masking tape on the bed of my 1914 Singer Treadle machine that has crystalized and hardened. I do change the painter's tape when I remove the plate to clean lint from my machine periodically, but it is an easy fix and takes only seconds.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:46 AM

Painter's tape is like anything else. There's different grades. Buy good brands like 3M if you go the tape route. The cheaper stuff isn't much (if any) better than regular masking tape.
Rodney
Old 02-18-2018, 08:19 AM

These are the best - no glue and you can use them on rulers or your machine without ruining anything. [h=1]Qtools™ Cutting Edge - A Repositionable Vinyl Stop: Save Time - Save Fabric with Consistent Cuts[/h]
https://www.amazon.com/QtoolsTM-Cutt...HFM1MZZTJ9K6QQ
Old 02-18-2018, 09:11 AM

I have something called the "Ideal Seam Guide" . It has a seam gauge and then the guide similar to the one Stephanie shows. I like the Ideal Guide because one side is straight and the other side has a space so you can use it with your walking foot. It also has the guide which makes it easy to get the seam allowance you want. There's even a mark for scant 1/4"

https://www.quiltedjoy.com/product/n...-gauge-package

I only have the short seam guide because I got it primarily to use on the Featherweight and the 301 and the 10 was going to be too long.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-10-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: massdrop requires sign up so cannot be posted on the QB
Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 AM

glad it turned out to be gunk. The thought I had was the screw itself, I vaguely remember someone saying Singer screws have a different thread, common ones don't screw down correctly