Threading a Singer 15-91 ?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Default Threading a Singer 15-91 ?

Hello, I have yet another question I have looked at the instruction book and watched a you tube video on threading my machine, but I am not sure I have it correct. Although it is sewing perfect stitches LOL

Here is what I do: I pass the thread through the thread guide on the back of the face plate, then down and under from the back to front between the tension disks, bring it up into the take up spring and pull it up into the retaining fork, then back to front in the take up lever, then through the front face plate guide and needle guide.

But when I start to sew, the thread comes off of the little retaining fork and is just in the take up spring. I was wondering if anyone has a clear pic of one threaded or could tell me if it's suppose to stay in the fork area above the take up spring after sewing is started? Thank you so much!!!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Try taking the thread from the tension disk over the fork then through the check/take up spring then to the takeup lever.

Cathy

Originally Posted by BirdyFeathers View Post
Hello, I have yet another question I have looked at the instruction book and watched a you tube video on threading my machine, but I am not sure I have it correct. Although it is sewing perfect stitches LOL

Here is what I do: I pass the thread through the thread guide on the back of the face plate, then down and under from the back to front between the tension disks, bring it up into the take up spring and pull it up into the retaining fork, then back to front in the take up lever, then through the front face plate guide and needle guide.

But when I start to sew, the thread comes off of the little retaining fork and is just in the take up spring. I was wondering if anyone has a clear pic of one threaded or could tell me if it's suppose to stay in the fork area above the take up spring after sewing is started? Thank you so much!!!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 AM

My 15-91 is waiting for a bobbin case to arrive before I sew. Wonder if I'll have the same problem? Anyone else sew a lot on a 15-91?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 AM

i sew on mine all the time.i am sure someone on here has the right answer for you and a diagram.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Muv has a real nice video on it - I posted it somewhere on the 15 clone info... you might have to read or scan a lot to find it. Link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html anyway these thread the same. I thread mine over the top into the notch, through the tension, through the spring over the bar and then through the take up lever and back down. You may need to be sure to have regular thread and a felt pad on the spool spindle. If you use the kind of thread that comes off over the top or a very tall spool, you may need something to keep things moving the right way. I think Joe has posts about that on here somewhere.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM

This is what I was going to suggest. I just purchased a 15-88 and that is how it threads.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Try taking the thread from the tension disk over the fork then through the check/take up spring then to the takeup lever.

Cathy
Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Yes, the thread is supposed to stay in the fork.

One thing you might look at is the positioning of the fork. I have had a couple of machines that have had that retraining fork installed in the wrong spot. It should be at about the 1 O'Clock position.

If you take the tension mechanism apart, you will see a little tab on that fork ring, that fits into a slot on the body of the tension mechanism.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM

Thank you all so much for all your help!! I did what you all said and the thread now stays on the fork.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t191703-2.html might have some tips, too.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 AM

I use a 15-90 and the needle threads from right to left.