TMI my singer

Old 12-15-2018, 05:56 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605374[/ATTACH]I got a full set of Hemmer feet and who knows what else. I guess I’m going to have to learn more sewing and less machine repairs
Attached Thumbnails 815928dc-383d-44b1-a7e5-68d41bcb11a4.jpeg  
Old 12-16-2018, 05:43 AM

It's not a 71, I think that's an industrial buttonholer or some kind of speciality purpose model. From the top picture I would say it's a 27. It could in theory be a 127 too, but easily noticed by the release loab on the top tensioner (127 doesn't have the loab, it has thread release in the presser bar lift). I wouldn't trust Singers serial number list completely, it has a few mishaps here and there. Generally it's trustworthy, but parts of it are missing for some factories and some numbers are more of a guesswork because of it. Yours look like it has been misplaced between the two models when they were made.

Your 27 looks fine, just a bit dirty. With full set of accessories and a straight spool pin is more than I could say of my 201 when I got it. There are signs of age and wear, but that's something I allow on my machines. I usually take a gentle approach, and do a bit now and then to improve on it. Replacing decals can be worth it in some cases, but it needs to be done very neatly. Lifted veneers on the cabinet can be glued back in place, some steam it flat and use a vice until the glue has dried. Some get very far with the right kind of furniture polish, others need to sand it down and refinish the top. I think I need to refinish the top of the cabinet on my 201. Your cabinet looks very much within acceptable, it needs cleaning and polishing.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dougstermd View Post
I’m confused by the serial number. ISMACS suggest it’s a model 71? G560655 it looks like my model 27.
"G" serial numbers seem to be the one that has been the most messed up. Frequently, it is it is hard to read and then sometimes misread. I did have an experience with one that I saw in a thrift store. It was a 66-1 with Red Head decals. Knowing about the problems with "G" numbers I quadruple checked and while I don't remember which machine the serial number list said it was, I was looking at a 66 with a serial number that was not assigned/allocated to 66 machines.

The bobbin winder is in a different spot.
I have read ( Singer treadle I may get ) that there are some late model 27s that came with the high bobbin winder. Usually, the high winder is associated with the 127.

I did score a pile of attachments including a walking foot, oil cans and a new belt.
It looks to me that you have some attachments that do not belong to the 27 or any Singers for that matter. It is quite common to find 'fiddly bits' that come with a machine they do not fit. My White 43 came with feet for a low shank Singer, a back clamp Singer, some Japanese zig zag feet and some Greist feet for the White.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:24 AM

This morning I installed the included new belt did some oiling. Wound a fresh bobbin and actually produced a stitch or two. The treadle is trickier to learn than I expected. I’m am very happy to atleast get a stitch from it. As for over all looks it’s a utility piece for me. I might get a can of brasso and polish the chrome but probably nothing with the decals.

Is it unnessary to do a reverse stitch with these machines? Every time I do I get a bird nest.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605392[/ATTACH]Found this short fat 40 cal ACP in one of the drawers I don’t think that is a model 27 accessory LOL
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Is it unnessary to do a reverse stitch with these machines? Every time I do I get a bird nest.
These do not have reverse stitch abilities.

You could shorten the stitch length.
If at the beginning of the seam you could start stitching a little in from the edge, raise the needle, release the tension and pull fabric so the needle is near to the edge and stitch. At the end of the seam, you can stitch to edge, raise the needle, release the tension and move the fabric forward and lower presser foot, and stitch over the end stitches.
Or, you could leave the needle in the fabric (just as it is on the up stroke) and turn the fabric around.

Any of these would reinforce the stitches that is the main purpose of the reverse stitching.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 AM

yes, there is no way to do a reverse stitch on them. Rotate your fabric 180 degrees and do a few stitches to lock them in.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 AM

I don't think any of the long bobbin Singers had reverse stitch, some other brands had this function early on on VS modeles like Gritzner and Pfaff.

You will be surprised at how well the presser and needle bar shines up with the right polish. I used something called Quick-Glo and it worked very well. Some polishes work better on grimy steel, nickle and chrome than others. it looks like pastes tend to be better than liquids.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:48 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605397[/ATTACH]ISMACS doesn’t have any T numbers previous owner said he found T numbers manufactured in Russia???? Jesus these are not Cats they should not multiply this fast
Attached Thumbnails 9b60aae5-2efc-410b-bd5b-efa5c64b178f.jpeg  
Old 12-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Am I running my original thread too far? I’m digesting everyone’s info. The 1910 has become super smooth to operate after a day of oiling