Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Today's find. (i.e. Home for Wayward Sewing Machines) >

Today's find. (i.e. Home for Wayward Sewing Machines)

Today's find. (i.e. Home for Wayward Sewing Machines)

Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 AM

She's home,#AA863182, which makes her a Singer 99 born in 1926. I just used some SM oil to uncover the number. She needs a slide plate, belt and bobbin tire and also a good cleaning, nothing surprising. She's horribly dirty and the cord block and plug are shot as is the base. It has a foot pedal, not knee control. No cover but she does turn freely with a bit of stick in places but not prohibitively so. Decals are fair, I think she was well used since the front decals are mostly gone but the back are intact. I think she'll clean up nicely for the price! Now to go dig out her manuals. (and name her). I'll post pics later!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

For that machine I would wipe it off with some sm oil. Then I would clean out any lint. Then I would oil all moving parts with T-F. Once it turns I would test to see if it sews. Then I would be doing a cleaning of each part one at a time. Once everything works I would be looking at Glenn's tutorials on finish. You will like that machine once it works. Those are quiet and sew a nice stitch. I've revived worse looking ones than that.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:35 PM

While I'm not opposed to keeping this machine, I was texting with the seller and asked for the story. That machine was bought by her maternal grandfather for her grandmother as an anniversary gift from her great uncle's store, so there's a bit of history there. If/when I get it back to rights I may sell her back for what I spend in parts. I just wanted something to tinker with and these machines aren't rare so I'll send this one back and free up space for something new. i'm a sucker for a good story and the woman I got her from was happy that it wouldn't be scrapped.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM

I had one that was froze up and looked like that. It did have the slide plate. With a lot of tender care and rebuilding the box (new bottom) it sews again. Bless tri-flo and patience.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Nice find. Nice gesture on your part too. I hope the seller appreciates it and accepts.
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 12-11-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:40 PM

I really wish people were more diligent about removing ads that are no longer valid.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM

Did you find it and hope for a $10 machine? Lol