Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Two Machines for the Price of One :( >

Two Machines for the Price of One :(

Two Machines for the Price of One :(

Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM

That is an exceptional machine for free!
This is what I have in my area....

$100

\
This ones a steal at only $850.00 LOL!

Also comes with a tin of attachments, asking $75 (this one tempts me)

$35

I'll stop here, but you get the picture. Lots to choose from, limited room in my townhouse. Why oh why did I decide to take the vintage route instead of getting a new, computerized, way too expensive, machine?

Macybaby, do you know if the Greist attachments for that McCaskill will fit on my "New" Domestic treadle? I can post a pic of what they have if it would help.

Last edited by Rach L.; 01-22-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM

If I was close I'd be all over that Domestic for $15. I like those overly decorated and chromed machines.
I think what we need to do is come up with a cheap, easy source of portable cases. It seems like every machine I get is in a cabinet. I like sewing with the cabinet machines better but space is at a premium here.
Don't feel too bad about losing out. If it makes you feel better I was late contacting a "seller" a few days ago about an industrial Singer and a White treadle both for free. I've also missed a free Rocketeer in the last couple weeks.
Rodney
Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Rach L. that McCaskill is a nice looking machine and the price doesn't seem terrible. I'd say roughly average or a little less for treadle machines in my market.
Rodney
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM

The nice thing about this area Rodney, is that these machines usually do not sell. The reason why that's nice, is people want to get rid of them, and it's easy to get it way cheaper asking price. I got my Domestic half off, and my Two Spool was $20 cheaper (I might have been able to get him down further, but I didn't want to blow the deal entirely). I know it sounds bad, but with having limited funds, I always take how long something's been posted before making an offer. If I can save a few bucks, it's more money I can put towards something else or attachments.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM

The McCaskill is made by Free. Boye brand needles are in the 3 wood tubes though I believe it takes the common 15x1.

Jon
Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Well, even better! I can buy 15x1's anywhere! I wonder why they have Greist attachments? I'd hate to get the machine and they don't fit.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 AM

Like said, the last two are basically the same machine (Made by Free). And no, the attachments won't fit your Domestic, since it's the older style. When Domestic started making machines for Sears, they changed completely and started making what was basically a Singer 27 Clone (which is a lot like the Free machines). Greist made attachment for most machines, and it's hard to visually tell what they fit. If anyone needs top clamp attachments - please contact me as I've got a lot of extra sets. Though some are much harder to find. The set that fits the Free VS is not the same as Fits the Free Rotary machines. Makes finding the VS ones harder.

I got some great deals on craigslist when I first started buying, but I think I was cleaning out "old" inventory LOL!!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 AM

true SM collectors don't buy end tables!! :-D
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 AM

don't know how this popped up in this thread. Tried to edit delete but it didn' t stick. my phone seems to have a mind of its own Thats how I wound up winning 8lbs of buttons and eyelets. :'(
Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM

I actually lied before....just realized it. I'm searching for attachments that will fit my Two Spool. Macybaby, the feet for this machine are easy to find, right? Will more than just National feet fit?