Two new(old) Machines!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 AM

Default Two new(old) Machines!

I'm so happy to have both of these!

Here is my New Home (Free Westinghouse made machine). It had a pin band on it, but the pin rash isn't all that bad and didn't mess up the decals.

We didn't plug it in because the cords aren't safe, but the motor turns freely. The machine itself would not fully cycle.

The owner had never used the machine. Her mother had bought it at an estate auction years ago, and it was that way from the start - and no one ever wanted to spend the time figuring out why.

I wasn't worried about that - I expect this has something to do with why it won't cycle . . .

The cabinet is very nice - and in very good condition. It's got some rings but no serious damage. This one is going to be gorgeous when refinished.

I drooled over the cabinet a bit too much - as I pointed out several nice feathers, the seller started regretting deciding to sell it. She said she was just starting to get interested in woodworking and didn't realize how nice the cabinet actually was (they didn't even know it had a door on the front).

She finally came out and asked if I only wanted the machine . . . paid $45 for this one.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 AM

And the second one. A Standard Rotary.

My original plan was to dump the cabinet - but its way, way to nice so now I'm figuring out where I can put it in the house . . . this will be the 10th treadle cabinet in the house . . .

This machine had belonged to the seller's Grandma. Seller also had a table from Grandma, and a very small house so she decided not to keep the machine. She said her Grandma used it all the time, but unfortunately while cleaning out the house, all the accessories except the bobbin case and one bobbin ended up somewhere else.

She was so happy to sell the machine to someone that loved the old machines. She said she had someone call and tell here they wanted to use the stand to make some sort of a doll house thing out of it - and she told them she would not sell it to them.

What upsets me the most - this was listed for two weeks before I saw it - How did I miss it for that long! I think I assumed by the bad picture of the closed cabinet that it was a White and never clicked and looked at the rest of the listing. But luck shined on me, and it was there when I was making the trip and exactly what I wanted!

This machine can be made to chain stitch, and I have the attachments to do so (bobbin insert and needle plate). So now I only have to wait for DH to get her cleaned up for me. And no, I'm not going to clean my own machines - that's his job LOL!!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 AM

That'll teach you to talk anything up in front of the seller. That is a great looking cabinet and is fancier than most I've seen. Very nice grained wood on the top, nice turned and fluted legs and the carved decorations are great. Very fancy for a non-Victorian cabinet.
The machine looks to be in great cosmetic shape too. I'm happy there's only minimal pin rash.
Rodney
Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:43 AM

You only had the New Home posted when I started typing. Your Standard looks like it's in great shape as well. And there's no way I would part with it's cabinet. It has way too many nice details like the carved side pulls on the drawers. The Standard name on the front makes it a keeper too.
Both machines and cabinets are great finds.
Rodney
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Such great finds, and in nice condition. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
. . . this will be the 10th treadle cabinet in the house . . .
Nice machines Macybaby, and I know how they seem to accumulate. We have 7 treadles in our house (including 2 industrials), plus 7 electric cabinets and an electric industrial parlor cabinet, and 2 industrial power stands. Two, maybe three cabinets will be going to Dallas the next time I get down there, and I’ve just got to find a new home for one of the industrial power stands so I can have my bikeshop back.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 AM

OMG!! That's one of the greyhounds I've been lusting after. I want dibs if you ever get rid of the cabinet for the Standard treadle, even though I have a Standard. You really scored on this trip! Woohoo for you!!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:56 PM

GOOD EYE ! especially with the thread knot in the new home. again. GOOD EYE
Old 12-29-2013, 05:50 PM

How wonderful. Great looking cabinet. I don't blame you one bit for Keeping it.