Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Update on Having a Chance to Buy A 20's Singer >

Update on Having a Chance to Buy A 20's Singer

Update on Having a Chance to Buy A 20's Singer

Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
I am a newbie, but if your machine looks like that 99, I would say it is a 99 then. Here is a picture of my 99.
Yes Grayhare, my machine looks like yours. So I guess it is a 99. I am not sure what makes the one in the Ebay auction worth so much, all I know is i don't wanna part with mine I just want to have a goos sewing machine to use to piece quilt tops and maybe learn to quilt with. I am not sure why the number is on the list twice but I am glad I finally figured out what I have...lol. Thanks for your posts and help.

Ladibug
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I'm guessing she meant that the serial number is in two spots on that chart.

When I saw the serial number she posted, it looked short a number. Usually that vintage is 7 digits after a letter....

The book says 99, because it's a 99 possibly the 99-13 you think it is... the 99K came afterward. All of the 99K I have seen have a backtack, yours just a screw to change stitch length.

Edit: Keep in mind that the manual could be from another machine, or reprinted, or even an original printed several years before the manufacture of the machine. A manual though is good for identifying the machine, if it matches the pictures in the book. i.e it looks like grayhare's, and doesn't have 2 slide plates that move front to back instead of left to right. The 128 that was mentioned would have the front and back slide plates.

There are a couple of ways to secure the stitch without reverse.
1 Hold the fabric so it can't be fed with the dogs for a few stitches
2. Change your stitch length to or close to 0 stitches per inch then sew a few stitches

Wiring's not hard to do, Rain has a tutorial on his blog that's for a different motor, but teaches you all the principles.
Yes Archaic the number on the ISMACS International dating list twice, once under the 99K and another time under the 128 that Grayhare pointed out. I don't understand that one unless it is a mistake. My Serial# has six numbers but it only has one capital letter. According to the list there were both kinds of serial numbers. My machine looks like the one in the manual except is doesn't have a lever on the balance wheel as I believe from the looks of it which would allow it to be used as a treadle machine. My balance wheel is solid and not slotted like the one in the manual also.

My side plate opens left to right. I do believe I was fortunate to also get the table with it. My manual does not show the table like the one on ebay does. Doesn't the motor on it take some kind of lubricant? My manual doesn't address the motor.

Thank you for the information. I will look into working on this myself if it is that easy.

Ladibug
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 PM

That's really weird. The ISMACS site is usually quite accurate in my experience. Though I'd think with that much information, there are bound to be errors.

I'm not sure which lever you mean,.. unless a hand crank attachment? Usually the treadle belt goes on a "ledge" attached to the balance wheel, between it and the body. Uhm.. actually, thinking about it, right where the rubber belt on a motorized one would go. (Sorry, long day.)

Solid hand wheels are machines that came motorized from the factory.

You were definitely fortunate to get the table. It's quite rare to find a table for a 3/4 size machine. Not $899 rare mind you. No, the machine isn't worth that. That ebay seller always has his prices out of line. You'll see his auctions pop up in the Vintage giggles thread from time to time. You got a good deal, not the deal of a lifetime though. ( as in, That ebayer's price is out to lunch, not the average.)

It seems like you have the manual for a similar but not identical machine. That might be because someone lost the manual and got a replacement. I've also seen motor manuals, that might have been in a transition period where they were supplying 2 manuals... just a guess. Yes, the motor requires grease. Singer grease / Singer Lubricant only. Almost any manual that has motor stuff in it will help you. Maybe try the ISMACS site and download say a 15-90, 201, 66 or even a different 99 manual from there. I bet any of them will address the motor.

Any time. Good luck! Just ask if you have any other questions.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Default 99 & 128-13

I have both. My 128-13 has a shuttle. I am going to try pictures of both. The one on the right is the 99. the next pic this the 99 and the last is the 128-13. This may or may not help but I hope it will. Sandy
Attached Thumbnails cimg5926.jpg   cimg5927.jpg   cimg5929.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM

My Singer 99K was made in 1958..sweet little machine. One owner til my sister and now to me.. it's in wonderful condition so was well cared for.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ladibug View Post
Yes Archaic the number on the ISMACS International dating list twice, once under the 99K and another time under the 128 that Grayhare pointed out. I don't understand that one unless it is a mistake. My Serial# has six numbers but it only has one capital letter. According to the list there were both kinds of serial numbers. My machine looks like the one in the manual except is doesn't have a lever on the balance wheel as I believe from the looks of it which would allow it to be used as a treadle machine. My balance wheel is solid and not slotted like the one in the manual also.

My side plate opens left to right. I do believe I was fortunate to also get the table with it. My manual does not show the table like the one on ebay does. Doesn't the motor on it take some kind of lubricant? My manual doesn't address the motor.

Thank you for the information. I will look into working on this myself if it is that easy.

Ladibug
Hi, I don't know if you have this website, it is VERY good, a lot of information. Very helpful when you are working on your machine.
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
Anamaria
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Hi, I don't know if you have this website, it is VERY good, a lot of information. Very helpful when you are working on your machine.
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
Anamaria
No Grayhare, I don't have that site. Thank you so very much! I think I am learning more everyday about this little jewel. I have decided to name her Alma after my grandmother who was a quilter. Thank you so verymuch fore your help, once again.

Ladibug
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 AM

That's really weird. The ISMACS site is usually quite accurate in my experience. Though I'd think with that much information, there are bound to be errors.

I'm not sure which lever you mean,.. unless a hand crank attachment?

Yes the lever I mentioned was an attachment that goes on the hand wheel. I am hoping I will learn more tommorrow as I will get to talk to the person I bought it from. I have different questions as I have learned so much more about the machine. I sort of guess that the one on ebay was very over priced. It was the only picture I had found of the table that came with mine though.

I have decided to go anhead and drop it off at the sewing machine shop tommorrow as I am afraid I don;t have enough knowledge to do it right. I am afraid I might do something to hurt the machine and I don;t want to do that. Thanks so very much for all your help and information. Tank goodness for QB and for the loving helpful people on it!!

Ladibug
Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 AM

LadiBug,

That TFSR link that was provided will walk you through a better servicing than most shops will do. It's an excellent tutorial. If you're patient and pay attention to what you're doing, I have every confidence you could do the servicing yourself. And of course, any questions you had, we can help you out. There are probably a 100 99s who have found homes with people on this board.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM

LadiBug,

That TFSR link that was provided will walk you through a better servicing than most shops will do. It's an excellent tutorial. If you're patient and pay attention to what you're doing, I have every confidence you could do the servicing yourself. And of course, any questions you had, we can help you out. There are probably a 100 99s who have found homes with people on this board.
I agree. I think the Singer sewing machines, are pretty easy to work on. There is so much information on the internet. I cleaned the race and replaced the wick in the bobbin area. I do one area at a time, and take lots of pictures, so I know what it looked like before. I have learned and still learning how the machines work. It is fun, and a challenge.