Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Update: Singer 66 not sewing straight, Help! >

Update: Singer 66 not sewing straight, Help!

Update: Singer 66 not sewing straight, Help!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Default Update: Singer 66 not sewing straight, Help!

So I decided to replace the original back clamp presser bar with a side clamp presser bar last winter. I also removed the forward-only regulator and installed a Revco from the same donor machine.

Well, it's been less than a year and I've started sewing more and more since then. Then I realized my machine was not sewing straight. It's like I feel crippled now that I know it's not behaving properly, even though I was adjusting for it. I was under the impression that a machine just did that, curved lines.

So, last night I decided to remove the added parts and return the back clamp bar and original forward-only stitch regulator to see if that would straighten out the stitchery. I've now trapped myself, I can't remember the order that the forward-only lever inside the arm is installed! It's maddening, I've got it almost right but there is a small locking washer (really thin with three prongs along the diameter) that locks the screw into the lever, either from inside or outside the arm. Directly under the handwheel.

Also, before I removed the Revco I ran a double thickness of notebook paper through the feed to see if there was a difference, not much but it was nice seeing the original again. So the I decided to replace the original regulator. Before I could get too down on myself for forgetting how it goes back in I did notice a great decrease in the amount of play that was occurring in the feed. However I can't test the stitching because the machine is nearly locked up, I'VE FORGOTTEN HOW TO PUT IT BACK IN!

HELP!

Long work day so I got wordy.

Last edited by Beautiful_Sound; 11-02-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Sorry to see you're still having trouble. I was hoping to see that you had found the cause and had your machine fixed.
Rodney
Old 11-03-2015, 02:27 PM

Unfortunately I can't help you in any way, but when you mentioned you replaced the stitch length knob with a lever I became interested. I didn't know it was possible. Almost all model 66 machines here are with the knob, the lever version turns up only now and then. Is it a lever from a different model or is it from a 66-16? I have read of after marked kits to give the old straight stitchers a backtack, but I have never actually seen one. This link might be helpful, it's from a Vintage Singer Yahoo Group. It's directly to a pdf document.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Here is a link to my 66 after I installed the Revco.

Also, I'm thinking that link (yahoo) is broken.

Last edited by Beautiful_Sound; 11-03-2015 at 04:00 PM.