A very unusual weekend

Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Miriam, thank you for the link. I'll be needing that information for sure! I'll see what other machines I haven't posted yet, I washed a couple cases, and then got totally absorbed into the green 15. I've been cleaning for hours but it's very rewarding work! Here's a nice crinkle finish blackside 128. This old Standard is attached to a board and frozen solid. I found this one interesting. It's a Household Sewing Machine Company. I love the cool initial plate. ISMACS had diagram of it or I never would have figured out what it was! http://www.ismacs.net/household/1879.html
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0184.jpg   dsc_0550.jpg   dsc_0435.jpg   dsc_0436.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
There are four Bentwood cases. Three contain Singer 128's and one had a 201. OF the four Bentwood cases three of them look like this!
Mrs. SewNSew,
Nice haul of machines. Have fun!
The Singer 128 with the spoked wheel would be wonderful to convert to hand crank. It would be very happy at my home with all her sisters.
Sharon in Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 04-03-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 PM

I should have time tomorrow to finish up machine photos but wanted to ask about tools. The same family that I got my machines from is garage sale-ing this weekend so I stopped by thinking that anyone who worked on sewing machines for years and years probably had some tools I might be interested in. The question is...what should I be interested in? I grabbed a bunch of stuff today but hubby was in a hurry so it was a quick peek and grab it. I found a COOL oil can that I love, some shorty screwdrivers, all types of weirdly shaped tools that look like maybe sculpting? tools but might be good for getting into tiny spots, some weird clamps, jars with grommets and rubber feet, little c spreaders..some really cool old? pinking shears. I think I'll go back tomorrow. Is there anything I might want to be looking for? (They had a BUNCH of "sad irons"with no handles)??
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0685.jpg   dsc_0693.jpg   dsc_0684.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 07:35 PM

At least a few of the thingies are painting/palette knives. Two in the upper left corner and the diamond-ish spatula thingy in the center. And some of the other things look as if they have been used to shape material for sculpture, but may not have been intended for it originally. So much fun!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

here is some cool info about tools. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t243276.htmlThis isn't all anybody uses but there are some good hints and ideas. I was working on a couple machines I bought in a herd a couple years ago just yesterday. Both were black lines. One had horrible rust. The other had some dried on grease. Both now work. One I never dreamed would work: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6660748 Take your time and go through each machine. If you start with the worst you can't ruin it. On the other hand if you start with the worst you may need more knowledge than you do right now. Feel free to pm if you get stuck. If you start with the best you might have an easy enough time to be encouraged to go on.

Last edited by miriam; 04-06-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 AM

Thank you. I seem to choose them order of what I know I CAN do, and then each one takes me a step further in learning! I found a machine yesterday I nicknamed Frankenstein. It's the worst of the bunch. It's an old 15, rusted, missing parts, no motor. That's the machine that will likely teach me the most! I wonder if I could get it running and convert to a hand-crank like yours? I have spare faceplates, back plates and a whole slew of needle plates. Who knows?

I'll read carefully through the tool tips. Not only could there be more tools there, but the idea that there are antiques that could end up in the dump at the end of the day haunts me. I checked the scissors I found yesterday and they are a Model A and would have been produced in the 1930's. Probably early in the 30's because they are marked "patent pending" and the patent was issued in 1934. It's items like these that I would hate to see end up in the dump. Either I would like them or I am sure others would miss out on real life history!
Attached Thumbnails singer-15-frankenstein.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Thank you. I seem to choose them order of what I know I CAN do, and then each one takes me a step further in learning! I found a machine yesterday I nicknamed Frankenstein. It's the worst of the bunch. It's an old 15, rusted, missing parts, no motor. That's the machine that will likely teach me the most! I wonder if I could get it running and convert to a hand-crank like yours? I have spare faceplates, back plates and a whole slew of needle plates. Who knows?

I'll read carefully through the tool tips. Not only could there be more tools there, but the idea that there are antiques that could end up in the dump at the end of the day haunts me. I checked the scissors I found yesterday and they are a Model A and would have been produced in the 1930's. Probably early in the 30's because they are marked "patent pending" and the patent was issued in 1934. It's items like these that I would hate to see end up in the dump. Either I would like them or I am sure others would miss out on real life history!
Odds are since it is a 15 that you should be able to make it work if you can find enough parts. It has a motor boss so it will hand crank. It has a smaller spoked wheel so it isn't quite as old as you might think. If you can clean off the serial number you can figure out what it is. Yeah I wouldn't start with that one but those are the ones that intrigue me now that I've done a few. What does the bobbin area look like? There isn't much to go wrong with those 15 unless the parts are missing. Evap-o-rust is your friend but lately I've been putting the parts I want to clean the next day in a zip bag - cover with water & sprinkle a tiny little citric acid or just soak in vinegar. Then I wash up with Dawn. Get the parts good and dried. Then you might want to wire brush any residue rust. Usually it comes off quite nice. You want to coat things in oil a little so they won't re-rust. If that doesn't do it get a Dremel tool with a wire brush and polish it up. The paint is shot on that one but you might be amazed at how it would clean up with some touch up paint & Glenn's method of French polish. It could do wonders. When you get it done you would have a machine you could beat the crap out of and it would sew 2X4s together.... well not quite...
I would for sure go back and dig through the tools but I'm into tools.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Default (Old Rusty 15)

Put it on a cookie sheet, dribble plenty of 710 on it, let it set somewhere out of the way, and check it every couple of days to make sure that the 710 has completely covered all parts of the machine, top and bottom.

Then later, after you get the rest of them worked and come back to it, you’ll be surprised at how easy it will be to remove parts and fasteners to get it cleaned back up and put into service.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

What is 710?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 AM

(Tongue in cheek) I was hoping you would ask me that.

It’s a “secret weapon” that I discovered. Singer used it on some of the industrial machines, such as the Singer 31-15, and even marked on the machine where to use it.

Here are photos of the 31-15 that I recently brought back from a rusted state, using “710”.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine553_soak_23.jpg   machine553_soak_22.jpg