Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 130 of 225 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 129 130 131 140 180 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 5608

Thread: Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking????

  1. #3226
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    I posted this before - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3868323797.html

    If folks would want this picked up and/or shipped.... I am willing.

    I already emailed the owner telling them that if they could not sell it please email me before doing something stupid with it.... (worded nicer of course)

  2. #3227
    Junior Member Yankeegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Adirondacks NY
    Posts
    109
    If I could afford the shipping I would buy that one in a heartbeat.
    Like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - yeah we all shine on.

  3. #3228
    Senior Member Vridar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW MO
    Posts
    591
    Archaic, you are sew right. My spouse, mother, etc. always said to leave their SM alone, it is set and don't bother it. Recently, I got interest out of necessity and found it's like other things, if one understands the principal there is no mystery and with any complete, clean machine I can make a stitch. Even the principal of threading can be logically understood. However, without the logic any machine will be a challenge. A good straight stitcher will make a good stitch if the upper tension and lower tension are adjusted correctly and the feet feed the material. I use opposite colored threads to get tension adjusted. It hasn't failed yet. There is no mystery, but, I'm not telling anyone. Keeping it to myself and maybe some machines will follow me home like they do other forum members.

  4. #3229
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3868323797.html - It's actually the prettiest table i've seen in a while...
    It looks a lot like this one I saw recently and I think it is just a little prettier than the one one Steve posted. I love the gate leg on it. I bet the Quilters would appreciate that feature and it is in pristine shape except for the one flaw on the top. It even has wheels!
    ~G~
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/atq/3855941106.html

  5. #3230
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
    If I could afford the shipping I would buy that one in a heartbeat.

    Yeah, it would be about $150....

  6. #3231
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  7. #3232
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    It looks a lot like this one I saw recently and I think it is just a little prettier than the one one Steve posted. I love the gate leg on it. I bet the Quilters would appreciate that feature and it is in pristine shape except for the one flaw on the top. It even has wheels!
    ~G~
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/atq/3855941106.html
    Thanks Grant. I have a cabinet exactly like the one in the link. I have often wondered who made it. It had a Belair 929 Deluxe ZZ machine mounted in it. As I remember I paid about $40 for it at GW.
    Sweet Caroline

  8. #3233
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Thanks Grant. I have a cabinet exactly like the one in the link. I have often wondered who made it. It had a Belair 929 Deluxe ZZ machine mounted in it. As I remember I paid about $40 for it at GW.
    Caroline, You got a beautiful cabinet and a good price on such a cabinet as this. If I had the room and the money, I would be on their doorstep. Does your Bel Air fit in it? It looks like a Kenmore would go in it pretty well to me from the pictures because of the square corners but not all that worthy of it in my opinion. None the case, I think it is gorgeous and looks functional too.
    ~G~

  9. #3234
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Miriam, It does! You could name it Rocky or Adrian. Poor thing.
    ~G~

  10. #3235
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/for/3858475124.html
    lol - I hate it when they want people to make an offer on crap like that... no doubt the offer would never be enough...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  11. #3236
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,486
    The one in front on the left looks like it might be in halfway decent shape. Not too sure about the others. And the wood on all of them is pretty sad.

  12. #3237
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    663
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
    If I could afford the shipping I would buy that one in a heartbeat.
    Me too! What a great guy to offer to do that for someone. I hope someone who is nearby and appreciates it gets to buy it. I would love to have that cabinet and the machine is OK too. I have a White just waiting for its new cabinet home.

  13. #3238
    Super Member amyjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,386
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I posted this before - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3868323797.html

    If folks would want this picked up and/or shipped.... I am willing.

    I already emailed the owner telling them that if they could not sell it please email me before doing something stupid with it.... (worded nicer of course)
    Me too, I think that is the prettiest table I have ever seen. had to correct my spelling.

  14. #3239
    Super Member amyjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,386
    Blog Entries
    18
    What I meant to say was I would love to have the table but would not need the machine. However I can's afford to drive out to CA to get it.

  15. #3240
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Caroline, You got a beautiful cabinet and a good price on such a cabinet as this. If I had the room and the money, I would be on their doorstep. Does your Bel Air fit in it? ~G~
    The Belair was mounted in it. The opening had some "surgery" to make it fit. I will take some pictures later or go back and re-size the original pictures that were taken before the QB change.
    Sweet Caroline

  16. #3241
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Charlee,
    I had and sold a number of these feet and another style several years ago. Here's the info I had on them.
    Name:  draning foot.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  100.7 KB





    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    What's worth more than I paid for the machine/cabinet tho, was one of the attachments I found in the drawer! It's the "embroidery foot" designed for Featherweights....
    http://singer-featherweight.class221...y-foot-121094/
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  17. #3242
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
    Archaic, you are sew right. My spouse, mother, etc. always said to leave their SM alone, it is set and don't bother it. Recently, I got interest out of necessity and found it's like other things, if one understands the principal there is no mystery and with any complete, clean machine I can make a stitch. Even the principal of threading can be logically understood. However, without the logic any machine will be a challenge. A good straight stitcher will make a good stitch if the upper tension and lower tension are adjusted correctly and the feet feed the material. I use opposite colored threads to get tension adjusted. It hasn't failed yet. There is no mystery, but, I'm not telling anyone. Keeping it to myself and maybe some machines will follow me home like they do other forum members.
    Yeah, i've scored some pretty good deals that way. These are also usually the people who say things like "my machine doesn't like x thread", or "my machine only sews y fabric well." Uhm ... no....

    I rarely need a threading diagram either, they're really intitive for the most part, once you've seen enough of them even which way the needle goes, and which way to thread the needle.

    Often when i sell a machine, i'll explain a bit about tension and sometimes, with some people - the ones who want to learn, i'll teach them how a sewing machine makes a 1000 knots a minute. I rarely have comebacks for tension issues now too

  18. #3243
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    I just had someone come back for tension issues. He was trying to use really heavy thread. He adjusted it all wrong. He had the pressure foot set off and the feed dogs dropped part way. The bobbin tension was very tight - the nose tension on that 15 was fine though. I did try to explain how set it right - he said he didn't want to touch it. LOL
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  19. #3244
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  20. #3245
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    612
    In all honesty if i had the money, i'd pay just for the color. Lol http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sing...item3f25b24f0f

  21. #3246
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I just had someone come back for tension issues. He was trying to use really heavy thread. He adjusted it all wrong. He had the pressure foot set off and the feed dogs dropped part way. The bobbin tension was very tight - the nose tension on that 15 was fine though. I did try to explain how set it right - he said he didn't want to touch it. LOL
    I find when they get "caught" having touched everything, then can't get it working, often they don't want to touch anything again. I had a lady buy a machine from me, did the same thing, but she told me what she'd done, we put it all right, and had a good chat session. She went home a lot more comfortable with the machine.

  22. #3247
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    73
    I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it were in state or within a 6 hour drive. I like the old White's, and the table is beautiful. It would be nice if all "desk length" cabinets had the additional back leaf on them

  23. #3248
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    I find when they get "caught" having touched everything, then can't get it working, often they don't want to touch anything again. I had a lady buy a machine from me, did the same thing, but she told me what she'd done, we put it all right, and had a good chat session. She went home a lot more comfortable with the machine.
    He seemed a lot happier when he left. He knew he botched it. My sister was there, too - she kept telling him things he needed to hear. I hope he at least makes different mistakes. I'm betting he got that machine because his wife won't let him touch hers. LOL.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  24. #3249
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-SING...-/400508477578

    Not sure about this one, but it is interesting though the price is not. Leather machine?
    Last edited by Caroline S; 06-16-2013 at 08:28 AM.
    Sweet Caroline

  25. #3250
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-SING...-/400508477578

    Not sure about this one, but it is interesting though the price is not. Leather machine?
    I'm not sure what it's for, but I love the exposed gears and the metalwork on the "flywheel". It's not a central bobbin (round) style either by the look of it, I think that's a shuttle in the last pic?? I bet you know when it runs! It -is- an old one, possibly worth close to asking for the right buyer... who's unfortunately not me.

Page 130 of 225 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 129 130 131 140 180 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.