Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking???? >

Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking????

Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking????

Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
What even nicer about the cabinet is the flip up back flap to make a larger sewing space.
Oh that is a lovely machine - wish I lived out that way. Now I can't stop singing "Do you know the way to San Jose" in my head.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Miriam, the clipper ship of my collection is a 201 bought for $0.99 because it would not "make a stitch." Turned the needle around and I'll be damned. Made the prettiest, quietest stitch I'd ever seen or heard to that point. It is now the old lady of my collection. (Sorry to be off topic. But it did make me "Giggle.")
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I know. Nobody wants to pay for a decent machine. They will go to WM and get some plastic wonder though. WM won't show them how to work it. I'm thinking about just giving up and offering one free sewing lesson with purchase of 3 lessons or something dumb. I hate selling machines knowing they don't know what they are doing. Example: very pregnant lady with 2 kids shows up and wants to buy a vintage machine because they are better. I spent a bit of time trying to show her how to use it. Her kids were bouncing around so I'm not sure she got it. Anyway when we put it in her car she handed me two plastic wonder sewing machines. Nope she didn't want them and she was leaving before I could look them over... OKay..... Well, I set them aside figuring they were a lost cause - I don't love plastic wonders any more than I like the creepy godzilla machines... My sister was just here for a visit and she started looking them over and low and behold both machines had the needles in backwards. That was it. I feel bad - I don't have her phone number.... I would love to give them back. Now how is that vintage machine going to work if she puts the needle in backwards? I'm also having to bring my self to look at the dumb plastic wonders with an eye for user error - maybe get past my plastic wonder phobia.
I think a lot of the plastic wonders would sew "OK" with a lot of us "vintage" (machine) people operating them. It's the people who think they'll just be able to sew well out of the box. Those machines need tweaking too, but nobody thinks they do because they're "new".

The other issue I find is "tension" - as in "it sewed great til I started having tension issues". 9 times out of 10, it's not a physical issue...
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 PM

Oh goodness, this is tempting but the price isn't. LOL http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-Slant...item1e7bb34a8c
Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
Oh goodness, this is tempting but the price isn't. LOL http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-Slant...item1e7bb34a8c
To clean one up and make it work correctly is worth about that much but I never see it.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

I posted this before - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3868323797.html

If folks would want this picked up and/or shipped.... I am willing.

I already emailed the owner telling them that if they could not sell it please email me before doing something stupid with it.... (worded nicer of course)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM

If I could afford the shipping I would buy that one in a heartbeat.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Archaic, you are sew right. My spouse, mother, etc. always said to leave their SM alone, it is set and don't bother it. Recently, I got interest out of necessity and found it's like other things, if one understands the principal there is no mystery and with any complete, clean machine I can make a stitch. Even the principal of threading can be logically understood. However, without the logic any machine will be a challenge. A good straight stitcher will make a good stitch if the upper tension and lower tension are adjusted correctly and the feet feed the material. I use opposite colored threads to get tension adjusted. It hasn't failed yet. There is no mystery, but, I'm not telling anyone. Keeping it to myself and maybe some machines will follow me home like they do other forum members.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3868323797.html - It's actually the prettiest table i've seen in a while...
It looks a lot like this one I saw recently and I think it is just a little prettier than the one one Steve posted. I love the gate leg on it. I bet the Quilters would appreciate that feature and it is in pristine shape except for the one flaw on the top. It even has wheels!
~G~
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/atq/3855941106.html
Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
If I could afford the shipping I would buy that one in a heartbeat.

Yeah, it would be about $150....