Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 09-18-2019, 06:07 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617519[/ATTACH]This is a Wizard dashboard machine.
Attached Thumbnails 2-tone-wizard-b.jpg  
Old 02-16-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Caroline, Thank you. It is a fantastic machine that was very well maintained but stored for some time in a cabinet. That is why the back is so dirty. To answer you question, No there is not. I also cannot find any info on this machine, or one like it on line. It is a model 98. I even have the original manual for this machine and will scan it before finding it a new home if anyone would be interested in a copy.
~Grant~
My wife has a Universal Model 98 (same machine) that I bought for her in June 1975. I've also found a pic of it as a Keystone Model 98. Great sewing machine,
Old 02-18-2020, 09:32 AM

Default Zig zag machine types

In general you can split all zig zag sewing machines in two groups. The no. 1 type is when the hook pass behind the needle, and the needle is threaded from the front. The no. 2 type is when the hook pass the needle to the side and the needle is threaded from the side.

I think all Singers and Pfaffs are made as the no. 1 type except the Singer 237 mainly produced by the Necchi factory in Italy. The no. 1 type has been most successful and almost all new machines are of this type. But I think the no. 2 type have got some advantages, and many of these Japanese produced machines are made this way. They should be better to handle heavier work, because they are less sensitive to at bit forward and backwards forces on the needle from the fabric.

I made this video explaining at bit of this type 2 regarding Singer 237:
https://youtu.be/8TONKVFi1fg

I noticed a youtube channel, that have made a video description of many of these Japanese badged machines, because they restore them and sell them. I have no interest in this shop, but I think their many videos are a very good source of information about these machines: https://www.youtube.com/user/tonysmo...able_polymer=1

In most cases, you will be able to see what kind of the two types the machine is, by looking at the direction of the needle plate and to the left you got the sliding plate to access the bobbin.

Last edited by Gymnast2; 02-18-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:42 PM

Default New White Designer

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I worked on the most quiet machine today. Nothing not to love about this one except maybe that it wants to ss on the left only. It is suppose to be green. Real pretty mint green. Oh and it is made by Riccar I think - anyway the motor says Riccar.
Attachment 419754
Miriam, yours is the only New White Designer I've seen besides mine (I actually bought it for the wife). I also bought an identical machine (minus the cam setup) with a Badge of Belvedere but it has a wonky bobbin winder. Have you found where to get parts? Both machines are JA3 units. One is a model 190, the other is a model 290. I moved the bobbin winder assembly over to the Belvedere and it fits perfect and works so I would like to find another bobbin winder assembly for the Belvedere. The New White is in perfect condition with all the cams and extra attachments and after I cleaned and lubed it from top to bottom to get all the grease and oil out, the wife did some sewing with it. Very cool. Neither machine had winder tires on them and the rheostat foot pedals could use some help (can you still find the rheostat type foot pedals?). I'll post some pics asap. I found another just like it, a Dressmaker 290 and I suppose I should make sure I can find parts so they are not just paperweights. I could use the Belvedere for parts for the other two.

Thanks
Perry
Old 03-11-2020, 11:16 AM

I need a bobbin winder for this one.

Attached Thumbnails img_6069.jpg   img_6070.jpg   img_6071.jpg   img_6072.jpg  
Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 PM

Default Vintage Japanese style zig-zag sewing machine and manual

I got my mother’s sewing machine and could not find the manual. My wife and I were not sure how to thread correctly, so I was trying to find a manual online. I looked online and came across this thread, but did not see a manual. I saw many different versions, all similar, but none quite matching my machine. It was interesting seeing everyone’s different machines and reading the threads. After talking with my sister, I found the manual taped in a folder on the machine. I thought I would register and share pics and the manual. I took pics of each page because it was easier. I hope this thread can take that many pics. It is giving me an error for missing some token or something. If you would like pics, email me at [email protected]

Last edited by Bill65; 04-06-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 04-11-2020, 02:22 PM

The footprint/style of these machines:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...0-p1010161.jpg
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...223_185538.jpg
is very similar to my late 50s/early 60s Kenmore,

and this early 50s one I just found on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/303536941113

all seem to be badged machines from the same factory, all what I’ve found that’s been said about them is that they are all very tough, hard working machines. Although I don’t think I’ve seen who the manufacturer is. I’ve seen Soryu and Koyo mentioned.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2020 at 03:44 AM. Reason: copright pic
Old 04-22-2020, 08:13 PM

Default Hallmark Deluxe

This is a Hallmark Deluxe, probably from the 50's or 60's and pretty sure it was built in Japan. Is anyone familiar with the model?
Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_1bc3.jpeg   fullsizeoutput_1bc5.jpeg   fullsizeoutput_1bc4.jpeg   fullsizeoutput_1bc7.jpeg   fullsizeoutput_1bc8.jpeg  

Old 05-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Badger1 View Post
Miriam, yours is the only New White Designer I've seen besides mine (I actually bought it for the wife). I also bought an identical machine (minus the cam setup) with a Badge of Belvedere but it has a wonky bobbin winder. Have you found where to get parts? Both machines are JA3 units. One is a model 190, the other is a model 290. I moved the bobbin winder assembly over to the Belvedere and it fits perfect and works so I would like to find another bobbin winder assembly for the Belvedere. The New White is in perfect condition with all the cams and extra attachments and after I cleaned and lubed it from top to bottom to get all the grease and oil out, the wife did some sewing with it. Very cool. Neither machine had winder tires on them and the rheostat foot pedals could use some help (can you still find the rheostat type foot pedals?). I'll post some pics asap. I found another just like it, a Dressmaker 290 and I suppose I should make sure I can find parts so they are not just paperweights. I could use the Belvedere for parts for the other two.

Thanks
Perry
Perry, I’m so happy to see the same machine that I have! I’m having difficulty finding information about it, as is common with Japanese ZigZags. Mine is badged with Dressmaker and is also a model 190. It works wonderfully, but I can’t figure out how to do straight stitches. The knob to the left of the stitch diagram will move from 1 through 5, but I can’t get it to go to zero (the straight stitch). I’d appreciate any help! Additionally, it seems whenever I reverse my stitches, something ends up tangled and I’ll have to rethread the needle and cut out tangled thread. Is this just the nature of backstitching zigzags?
Attached Thumbnails fa296f79-d2ab-4597-8b3c-988f44a72b9e.jpeg  
Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by SarahDressmaker190 View Post
...but I can’t get it to go to zero (the straight stitch). I’d appreciate any help! ...
I believe the red arrow point to the "lock knob" and the blue arrow is the "width dial." Can you loosen (counter-clockwise) the red arrow knob and then turn the blue knob (counter-clockwise, also) so that the flat part is parallel to the bed? I would think that you would need to tighten the knob again so that it only stitches straight. It is possible that there is some dried oil or lint that is blocking it to go where it needs to be to make straight stitch.

dressmakeredit.png

I'm not sure why the thread is tangling when reversing ZZ. I don't try to reverse ZZ unless I'm darning something and the machine I use to do that, I don't have a problem with.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-30-2020 at 03:38 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting