Vintage Machines

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by jojosnana
I don't have a real vintage but I do have my first singer which is yellow with age but still zips along.......of course it didn't have the nice stitches so now she has a sister Singer.
I was just wondering what is considered "vintage." I still have my first Singer (404) purchased the year I married, 1962. She makes a beautiful stitch.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
I don't have a real vintage but I do have my first singer which is yellow with age but still zips along.......of course it didn't have the nice stitches so now she has a sister Singer.
I was just wondering what is considered "vintage." I still have my first Singer (404) purchased the year I married, 1962. She makes a beautiful stitch.
I did a search on vintage and antique and 50 to 75 years is considered antique. 20 years is considered vintage. I have a 404, also, so I guess it is antique.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Originally Posted by GailG
I did a search on vintage and antique and 50 to 75 years is considered antique. 20 years is considered vintage. I have a 404, also, so I guess it is antique.
And so am I.

:lol: Thanks for the research. That means I also have a vintage White machine. I love it, but it's sooooo heavy -- no plastic parts on that dude.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 AM

I have one of these and it is a real workhorse. It will sew thru darn near anything. Heavy tho. once it is up, I leave it up. Too heavy to take to class. They are a nice machine. Lovely isn't it? Jan
Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 AM

I have one of these and it is a real workhorse. It will sew thru darn near anything. Heavy tho. once it is up, I leave it up. Too heavy to take to class. They are a nice machine. Lovely isn't it? Jan
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

These are a few of the ones I use regularly in my studio most of them are treadle operated and as you can see by my signature Treadles are the only machines I ever use!

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144601.jpe   attachment-144602.jpe  
Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Billy these are gorgeous. Maybe my New Home will be pretty one day. Thanks for your help. I was able to find a manual and I have been following your cleaning thread on here. To cold to sit outside and use turpentine. right now. So I used penetrating oil and have it just setting for the next few months I'm afraid. Maybe that will help losen some of the dirt and gunk. Happy Holidays Mary
Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
Billy these are gorgeous. Maybe my New Home will be pretty one day. Thanks for your help. I was able to find a manual and I have been following your cleaning thread on here. To cold to sit outside and use turpentine. right now. So I used penetrating oil and have it just setting for the next few months I'm afraid. Maybe that will help losen some of the dirt and gunk. Happy Holidays Mary
Kerosene is what you want to use for cleaning the mechanics. Turpentine will remove the finish on the machine.

Billy
Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

oooops. I knew it was something stinky. almost all the finish is off my machine already.but I do want to do this all the right way. Thanks Mary p.s. is your table top a door?in the last picture?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
oooops. I knew it was something stinky. almost all the finish is off my machine already.but I do want to do this all the right way. Thanks Mary p.s. is your table top a door?in the last picture?
Yep its a door blank but I made it from a hollow door plank because I could not find the 36" solid door at the time. The middle is solid where I cut out the hole but the ends are not. I found out the hard way not to drop a sewing machine on that bench. I accidentally had a machine slip from my hands only a few inches above the bench and it punched a recess in it. So now I am going to cut it out and beef it up then put a thin sheet of birch plywood back on it and seal it all up again. It will be okay until I do the addition to the studio and I can move all of my quilting to the new part and then I will use a solid door plank for the work bench there.

Billy