Vintage Sergers

Old 08-25-2018, 05:33 PM

Some serger blades can be sharpened. Most sergers have one blade that's carbide, which is a bugger to sharpen, so we usually don't. The other is just good steel, and can be sharpened on a grinding wheel, straight across and at the correct angle with the needle plate. When in a room full of sewing machine techs, the instructor asked who still sharpened the blades, and I was the only one who raised my hand. The upper carbide blade on the Bernette is $21.90.

The Bernette 5 spool is one that my boss insists is only good as a 3-spool, and not to waste your time with the coverstitch. My husband got me one from the thrift store, not realizing what it was, and we parted it out. So, that's my boss' opinion, for what it's worth. That machine is also made by Juki.

You don't want to use Singer needles in a serger that's not a Singer because the upper shaft is narrower, and will fall out.

Some Babylock sergers take a round top needle instead of a flat-back needle. I can't remember the configuration... I think it was DBx1, but not sure.

One thing I've learned, is that the taller the thread mast is, the better it feeds the thread. More taller, More better!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:50 PM

I have a Bernina serger that belonged to a friend of mine who passed away. I’m sad to say it’s in its bag awaiting my new sewing studio. Soon my babies will have a room if it’s own. My youngest is coming next weekend n hope to get it move in ready
Old 08-25-2018, 07:52 PM

I also have a baby lock BJ it’s on a box in the skid shack so don’t know model # til it gets into studio I sold my singer to my sister for $100 what I paid for it
Old 08-26-2018, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

i stiffen the thread ends with fray check or bees wax before attempting to thread any of my sergers.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:03 PM

I am back and now own a Babylock 5180. It needs the dust wiped off. It was in a box but not airtight. I am assuming from this thread that it is vintage. Now to see if I can find a manual anywhere. It has 4 spools of thread on it. Let me know if you have any pointers or suggestions. Mainly wondering if it is worth keeping?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Just picked up a white 534 with no instructions and dirty as a pig, with no statement as to whether or not it worked. I spent about an hour cleaning and oiling, threaded it according to the diagrams, with no idea on needles I tried a couple of standard sewing machine needles and went super slow at first. This was my first attempt at an older serger so I was amazed at how nice it worked once I got the tensions set up! Not sure if it is vintage or not but it sure ain't new. Now I will do a more thorough cleaning and oiling and leave it set up with darker thread. Smiles all around tonight!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Friar_Tuck View Post
Just picked up a white 534 with no instructions a... Now I will do a more thorough cleaning and oiling and leave it set up with darker thread. Smiles all around tonight!
Congratulations Not that you need it, but I think there may be two manuals for the White 534 at https://www.singer.com/support and there are threading diagrams at sewusa.com

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Our Workbench,
Thank you for the link. The manual was nice to look at so I have peace of mind about the needle choice.