Vintage Sergers

Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 PM

I have a singer serger 14 u64 --I think going from memory also a used Bernadette about the same age.
Singer bought used in the nineties and would like to know what yr they did come out. Not easy to get to right now except I know it uses Singer 2045 needles --because sergers need needles for stretch fabric . Only changed mine few times.
Knife is movable on the Singer which I really like because sometimes I don't want to cut. Other Bernadette machine had only a few days before leaving for the north and really haven't used it much. Used serger more when doing clothing and some edge finishes but not with quilting. I also just keep the singer set up here with white thread and don't want to buy 4 spools of a color to do ten min of sewing / mending.

The friend I bought the Singer from used it a lot but I really wanted one at the time for finished edges on seams of my clothing. You get more use from a regular machine even if it doesn't have a lot of stitches but does zigzag.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:05 AM

In 2010 I bought a pre-loved Singer Ultralock 14U64A Serger from a friend of mine for $50.00. It belonged to her mom who used to sew home dec. Her mom is now in a memory care facility and my dear friend recently passed away after a 5-year battle with uterine cancer. This serger works great and holds a special place in my heart esp. After losing my friend. I need to use it more.

sandy
Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM

mornig and Sandy, I've seen that model and I believe it's made in Japan. Very nice machine. It reminds me a bit of my Juki 4-thread and I wonder if that's who made it.

mornig, since threading is such a pain, I've wondered if I'm going to wind up with 50 sergers, all set up with different colors.

Sandy, it's amazing how these machines touch our lives just like those who owned them before us. I wonder if you were to show her the machine if she'd remember. Sometimes objects can trigger memories and the associated joys. I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm a cancer survivor and I know what it put my family through in addition to myself.

All the best to both of you.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 AM

Hi,
The Baby Lock 3200 came out in the early 80's. It was sold by Minnesota Fabrics and is the same machine as the Baby Lock 418. The 3200 was made to be sold only by Minnesota Fabrics. I worked at the store as the Home Economist and sold and taught classes on this machine. I recently purchased 2 of these on ebay. (For a steal, I might add) It is a very nice machine. I have had a couple other home sergers and the 3200 is by far the best. The stitching is consistant and the narrow hem this machine can do is nice and clean. I have a JUki 654 and even though it receives nice internet reviews, it really does not compare to the BL3200. So, if you see one for sale, scoop it up!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM

I have a newer Janome and an Elna Pro Lock 4 (I think that's it's name). The Janome does just fine for the limited serving I do. I paid $125 for it (gasp!). The Elna was free and I've never even tried it. I need a class sometime, because I really don't know what to do with them!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:31 AM

I like the old ones too, but there is NO beating the new BL threading feature. I see them quite often on Portland CL...but usually they are the industrial sort. Not always, tho... this one (a White) caught my eye, but, I'm not buying any more machines right now. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/for/5783806985.html
You are pretty close, you might like a peek.....
Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 AM

My first serger is a singer 1440. It joins with its manual and me to thread it; but, once threaded, it serges like a champ. I was part of a group sewing for various drum corps. The 1440 traveled on busses and "worked" wherever the bus stopped. One season it joined me in replacing the lapels on over 100 uniforms - satin over sequins, satin stitching around the edges. Lots of replaced/sharpened and resharpened knives. A serious joy.

That serger is set up in my sewing room (white thread) right next to the top of the like old top of the line Husqvarna that I bought a long while back (black thread). This one has lots of nifty features and now that we have a granddaughter they will probably get used more often. Right after I get a pile of little girl jeans and t-shirts created.

I have a friend with one of the first Baby Locks and will bring your thread to her attention. Thanks for starting it.

A
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Hello! I recently came across one of these on Craigslist. The man I bought it from said he had never been able to thread it, but he wasn't very knowledgeable and I don't think tried very hard. I took it to the shop for a tune-up, and they threaded it. I brought it home and it was working perfectly. Then, the right needle came unthreaded. Now, I can't figure out how to rethread it! I tried following the exact instructions from the manual.

Is there any trick to threading this machine? There is not a lot of information on this machine out there.

I would really appreciate any tips!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hayleyrm1 View Post
Hello! I recently came across one of these on Craigslist. The man I bought it from said he had never been able to thread it, but he wasn't very knowledgeable and I don't think tried very hard. I took it to the shop for a tune-up, and they threaded it. I brought it home and it was working perfectly. Then, the right needle came unthreaded. Now, I can't figure out how to rethread it! I tried following the exact instructions from the manual.

Is there any trick to threading this machine? There is not a lot of information on this machine out there.

I would really appreciate any tips!
Serger needles and loopers have to be threaded in a specific order. So if a needle or looper comes unthreaded, you may have to rethread all of them to get it threaded right. Depending on which one you have, threading can be just slightly annoying or it can be a major pain in the tush. Your manual should give you the threading order, be sure to follow it to a tee. To keep it from happening again, always end with about 3-6 inches of chaining left on the machine.

Cari
Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 PM

I am so glad to have found this thread. I will soon have a vintage BL serger. I have never owned one and am anxious to get it so I can find out how to make it work. The info here has been wonderful. I am writing this so that I will keep getting notifications when someone posts. My stepson found the serger in the basement of a house he is renting. He is in another state so I won't be able to get it for about a month. You can be assured, I will be here asking for help and advice. LOL!