Vintage Sergers

Old 09-17-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
Is your little bernette quiet?
Yes, except for the timing issue which produces a small knock when the needle clamp hits the lower looper. It's very smooth and responsive to the pedal.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:35 AM

I know what a serger is and that's about it. I've got a bunch of questions.
What are common problems with them and what do you look out for if you're buying one?
I know they have a set of knives to trim the fabric. Can they be sharpened if needed and can replacements be found easily?
Also are needles easy to find and are they the same as regular sewing machine needles or are they different?
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 AM

I'm new to serging but from what I've seen and read, most of the problems with sergers are operator error such as using the wrong type of thread, threading incorrectly (wrong threading path, threading in the wrong order), and a misunderstanding of thread tension. Many owners express frustration with switching from overlock to rolled hem and back, which on some machines is a time-consuming and tedious process.

I believe sergers take standard needles and new blades are easily found. I've often wondered if blades can be sharpened. I have a scissors sharpening stone and wonder if I could do it myself.

My buying advice would be similar to a standard sewing machine purchase: know what kind of stitching you need prior to selecting a machine because not all sergers make the same set of stitches. Look for loopers that are intact and make sure the presser foot is in good shape, as these things are expensive to replace and can cost more than the price of the used serger itself.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Banned

you can also look up "Merrow Machine" Merrow invented the overlock and began producing machines (for industrial use) in the 1880's. Their first machine was a crochet machine, then the three thread serger.

I am looking for an EARLY version (should be a 4 or low 5 digit serial number) so I can add one to the collection.

The earliest ones were clearly set up for treadle and then converted to motor driven. The design has not really changed since, so I hope to have a treadle serger eventually.

(Singer made one too, but I am not sure of the model # yet.)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Banned

here is a singer one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Sing...-/251647621268
Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 AM

The old ones are pretty cool.
Rodney
Old 09-17-2014, 07:50 AM

My Baby Lock DOES NOT take regular needles. Serger needles are available -- I've bought them from JoAnn's. There is some difference in a regular needle and a serger needle, but I do not know what it is. The blade which was broken -- my son had to order a part to replace that. The biggest pain in the neck is threading the sergers. I will get some photos of my serger to post, although I have no idea how old the machine is.

Jeanette
Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 AM

My Bernette takes universal 130/705 H.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
That is a very interesting machine. Is it a 3-thread overlocker? I'm seeing a 3-thread mechanism but I'm not sure. Perpendicular thread take-up and that blade -- yikes. That could do some serious slicing if you're not careful.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:26 AM

I bought my one and only Huskylock in the early 1980's, so I guess that would make it vintage. I still use it when I need to serge something. I run it three thread most of the time, but it will take a second needle for a locking stitch. If I want a narrow serge, I can remove the outer needle and tighten up the underloop, shorten up the stitch length and get a really nice, narrow embroidered looking rolled hem. Works great for things like bridal veils.