Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1499 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 499 999 1399 1449 1489 1498 1499 1500 1509 1549 1599 ... LastLast
Results 37,451 to 37,475 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Alrighty then. I'm back with some pics of a bunch of needles. I'm going to expound on them as we go and really hope what I have to say makes sense.

Subject machine: Kenmore 120-491.

Problem; it takes Kenmore #49 or Boye 2 needles. They are for all intents and purposes, extinct.

OK, I want to sew with this machine, but I do not want to alter it for different needles. The reason for this line of thinking is two fold.
    A: If I should ever find some original needles I'd like to be able to use them.
    B: I'm not really sure enough about retiming a needle bar to want to do this at this time.

Picture one is a comparison of 4 needles.

They are marked. The red thread marks the eyes of the needles. You can clearly see how much longer the points are on the DCx1F and 15x1 needles. You can also clearly see the over all length of each needle.

>The 206-13 needle has a point very similar to the KM #49, but is much longer. If I were going to alter the needle bar, this is the needle I'd adjust it for. These needles are not as hard to come by as the Sewingmachine221sale.com place would have you believe. But as the machine sits now, this needle would be too long.
    >The 15x1 needle has a much longer point below the eye than the KM #49 or 206-13 so even if the bar was adjusted so you could use this needle, the longer point could be a problem. I don't know for positive on this, but I'm unwilling to alter the machine just to try it.
    >The DCx1F is shorter than the KM #49 and has a slightly longer point. But it can be seated out farther to match the KM #49's length and or eye position. This is the needle I've chosen to use. It comes in sizes 11, 14, 16 and 18. I don't see a need for any more than that.

Picture 2 is the first spacer attempt.

This spacer adjusted the DCx1F to the same length as the KM #49, but left the eye sitting higher.
    This has caused a minor problem with the top thread tension, and a refusal of the machine to sew through fabrics such as fleece. By lowering the needle about an eyes length the machine started sewing through the fleece normally, and the tension evened out nicely.

Picture 3 is the second spacer.

This spacer places the eye of the DCx1F in the same place as the eye in the KM #49. This will, I hope, fix all the problems with the tension and problems with the fleece.

I hope this made some sense to every one. If it didn't, or if you have something to add by all means do so.

Joe
    Last edited by J Miller; 08-14-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Somewhere in this thread is a post about someone's dh who used bolt cutters to shorten the too long one with the right eye for a machine.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Joe; Thanks for the explanation and the visuals. Great job on explaining the differences.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Joe, That is an excellent explanation. Thank you for taking the time to put this together so that we have a better visual explanation of what you are dealing with. Good luck on this endeavor!

I'm a visual learner and this explanation makes MUCH more sense to me. Thank you so much!

Here's a few more pics of the Singer 28 I picked up off Craigslist this morning. SN dates her to 1902. As you can see she is missing a couple of parts but I'm hoping they won't be too difficult to come by.
    Name:  2012-08-14_18-12-09_609.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  1.52 MB
    Name:  2012-08-14_18-12-34_167.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  1.37 MB
    Name:  2012-08-14_18-12-16_429.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  2012-08-14_18-12-46_654.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  1.39 MB

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Somewhere in this thread is a post about someone's dh who used bolt cutters to shorten the too long one with the right eye for a machine.
    Well, that's one way to do it for sure.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Here's a few more pics of the Singer 28 I picked up off Craigslist this morning. SN dates her to 1902. As you can see she is missing a couple of parts but I'm hoping they won't be too difficult to come by.
    Name:  2012-08-14_18-12-09_609.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  1.52 MB
    Love the decals on her. You found a nice one!
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Well, that's one way to do it for sure.

Joe

chris_quilts, vintagemotif, jennb,
    Thanks for the kind words. I tried to make it understandable without being pompous.

It sews good now, except the tension is still giving me trouble. I hosed the top tension out with break clean this afternoon. Will let that dry out then try again.

Joe

jennb,

Sadly I can't see the pics of your machine. They are soooooooo big my dial up can't open them.

Joe

Blog Entries
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11194101
    What do you all make of this one???
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    jennb,

Sadly I can't see the pics of your machine. They are soooooooo big my dial up can't open them.
    Joe, try looking at them in my photobucket album and hopefully that helps.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v220/kria/

jenn,

Nice old Singer. I see the missing front side plate, what else is missing?

joe

jenn,

Nice old Singer. I see the missing front side plate, what else is missing?

joe
    It has no bobbins or shuttle, and no feet or needle clamp. I think thats all that is missing.

Blog Entries
    chris_quilts, vintagemotif, jennb,
    Thanks for the kind words. I tried to make it understandable without being pompous.

It sews good now, except the tension is still giving me trouble. I hosed the top tension out with break clean this afternoon. Will let that dry out then try again. Joe
    The pomposity meter didn't go crazy so you did good!!!!
    Am I understanding that you hosed out the top tension discs/assembly with brake cleaner? Not criticizing but curious as to the why? I thought dental floss cured almost. if not all, top tension ills with/when gunk being the issue.
    Chris

Joe, here's an ebay listing for Boye 2 1/2's. Even if you don't want to buy, there's a good close-up of the needles...& if you DO want to buy, this is a very reliable seller.

Jenn,

I have 4 Kenmores I think. A 1930s 117-812 (made by White), the mid 50s 120-491 (problem child), a 158-13470, and the newly acquired 158-523, that Miriam advised me of. The last two made by Maruzen/Jaguar in the 70s I think.

Of the four, only the 120-491 has been problematic. And only because I don't have the correct needles for it. If I could find some Kenmore #49 or Boye 2 1/2 needles I'm sure the problems would simply vanish.

Kenmores are no more or less problematic than any other machines. Mater of fact most of the older Kenmores are made by top of line manufactures and are as good or better than similar vintage Singers.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Looks like a half-size electric chainstitcher, probably related to a similar machine badged Hamilton Ross (?), which is a larger version of the Betsy Ross toy. Can't remember who made them, and my copy of Glenda Thomas is packed away.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    ute!
    I was just looking at that. Kind of remindgs me of the little green western electric ones. Cute! Laura

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    The pomposity meter didn't go crazy so you did good!!!!
    Am I understanding that you hosed out the top tension discs/assembly with brake cleaner? Not criticizing but curious as to the why? I thought dental floss cured almost. if not all, top tension ills with/when gunk being the issue.
    Chris
    Chris,
    The top tension on this machine is made a bit different from the Singers and clones and other Kenmores. Honestly I can't figure out how to take it apart. So, I cleaned it as best I can where the thread passes through and it is clean. But there is still something going on with it so I thought that hosing out the stuff under the numbered cap might flush out anything that could be hanging it up. So I wrapped the machine in a work rag so the break clean would'nt get into too much of it and flushed it out. It's dried over night now so I'll try it today and see what happens.

Joe
    Last edited by J Miller; 08-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by path49 View Post
    Joe, here's an ebay listing for Boye 2 1/2's. Even if you don't want to buy, there's a good close-up of the needles...& if you DO want to buy, this is a very reliable seller.
    Ah drats, wish you'd put in a link. I'll go try a search, but I'm no good at searches so I won't hold my breath.

Joe

Path49,

I found 'em. Thanks.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Chris,
    The top tension on this machine is made a bit different from the Singers and clones and other Kenmores. Honestly I can't figure out how to take it apart. So, I cleaned it as best I can where the thread passes through and it is clean. But there is still something going on with it so I thought that hosing out the stuff under the numbered cap might flush out anything that could be hanging it up. So I wrapped the machine in a work rag so the break clean would'nt get into too much of it and flushed it out. It's dried over night now so I'll try it today and see what happens.

Joe
    Thanks for the explanation as I was picturing a Singer type tension. Again, thanks for the explanation and hoping it works for you.

This is the auction I was talking about http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sewing-Machi...item53e9bcc148. I can't believe that I left that out! I "copied"....but forgot to "paste"! Senior moment?

Ah drats, wish you'd put in a link. I'll go try a search, but I'm no good at searches so I won't hold my breath.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Is there a vintage attachments separate thread? I have an odd one for a 66-3 that i'd like to identify. Odd as in I've not seen it before.
    Chris