Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks for all your comments and info. I did get a hold of Sew-Classic.com.Was very nice and got right back to me with some info but does not have records for a "New Home D" so could not help me with the needles. How do I go about finding needles for this machine?

It is just killing me looking at that machine sitting over there and I've got to many other things to get done for the Holidays before I can clean and then play with it. So I would like to have everything here and ready to go when the time comes!! Thanks Again!!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Actually, I've found my Bernina 830 with regulator(shhhhh, not vintage) is the bomb, but my 301's can't be beat for FMQ over all my other vintage machines. Though, I have to say, unbelievably my Singer 185(similar to 99) is an awesome FMQ! I was really surprised by that. Yes, the harp is small, but it makes a great stitch. The feed dogs don't lower, but that doesn't bother me much. I've been in the process of trying all my vintage machines at FMQ this week, just so I have a handle of their strengths and weaknesses.
It's ok about the Bernina 830, since it's still old -and an excellent machine. I want to spend a week doing the same thing you are doing, the comparing the quality of FM quilting with all the vintage machines.

I do like FM with my Singer 15-90 in treadle. At present, it is in a treadle in back corner of my "command center" with cutting mats on top of it and other junk. I didn't feel like pulling her out yesterday; so, I gave the Davis a go. I was very surprised at the FM from the Davis machine. The technique and feel of FM quilting with the Davis is different from the Singer 15s.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
It's ok about the Bernina 830, since it's still old -and an excellent machine. I want to spend a week doing the same thing you are doing, the comparing the quality of FM quilting with all the vintage machines.

I do like FM with my Singer 15-90 in treadle. At present, it is in a treadle in back corner of my "command center" with cutting mats on top of it and other junk. I didn't feel like pulling her out yesterday; so, I gave the Davis a go. I was very surprised at the FM from the Davis machine. The technique and feel of FM quilting with the Davis is different from the Singer 15s.
NO, it's not the old 830 but new:>
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Oh Monica, that quilting is beautiful! What do you mean, you "slowly followed the lines of a pattern on a separate fabric?" You just looked at the pattern and made it? Or you actually drew the lines to follow with something like a light box? You did an absolutely gorgeous job - how ever you did it! Yes, you can FM with the Davis! I have mostly used my Davis for binding - did a little FM - but, I prefer the 15-88 treadle for FM! Candace, I saw that you tried to FM with your 319, but didn't have much success? I think that 319w is a great sewing, piecing machine, but get yourself a Davis VF or even better a Singer Model 15 for FM!

Nancy

I used a large printed floral fabric as my drawing. The floral print was top layer, then batting, and silver ironing board fabric was the bottom layer. I followed some of the larger and longer lines in the print and I just stitched over them. On side of floral print (top side when stitching), I used white thread, and on the silver fabric side (bottom side when stitching) I used variegated orange thread. The result of following the floral pattern can be seen on the silver side, which became the bottom of this potholder.

I'm not into using light boxes or drawing. I'm a bit lazy for that type of design. I always try to think of the simple and easy method, since my mantra is "keep it simple". If it looks like too much work, it doesn't get done. From reading other quilters' blogs, I've discovered simple techniques. This was one. Just by outlining a fabric's motif while quilting, one can create a quilting pattern.

Last edited by vintagemotif; 12-09-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM

NO, it's not the old 830 but new:>
Oh, well, I'll forgive ya. I'm sure almost all of us have at least one modern machine.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Oh, well, I'll forgive ya. I'm sure almost all of us have at least one modern machine.
I have a Consew walking foot sewing machine as my most 'up to date' Then next would be a 60s Elna SU and a Singer 503.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Another one followed me home but I haven't let it in the door yet. It is a Franklin.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Testing the FM quilting with the Davis NVF. Nancy once mentioned that this could be done. I have only straight stitched with the Davis, but today I gave the FM a try (no feed dogs on this machine). I slowly followed the lines of a pattern on a separate fabric (I'm not gifted in drawing). I turned this into a potholder. I used another fabric for the top that I just quilted curvy lines on it. The silver fabric is the ironing board fabric that I picked up at JoAnn's.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]294162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]294165[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]294167[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]294168[/ATTACH]
Very nice, Monica!! Glad to see the Davis will do some FMQ...did you reduce the pressure on the foot?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a Consew walking foot sewing machine as my most 'up to date' Then next would be a 60s Elna SU and a Singer 503.
Miriam, have you posted a pic somewhere of your Consew? Is it an industrial machine?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Miriam, have you posted a pic somewhere of your Consew? Is it an industrial machine?
nope I haven't posted a pic of that monster. It is just a Consew walking foot. I was dumb back then.... I've had it since about 98. I had an old Singer WF from WWII - pretty cool piece.... I thought I needed reverse....