Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM

I have a Singer 99 that has the brush cap broken off on the motor, and I can't get the screw part of it out to put another one in. Does any one have any ideas of how to get it out? I tried using a small screwdriver to see if I could move it at all, and it doesn't move. Someone suggested that I just super glue the cap on. The spring is there in the hole, and the machine does work, even with the cap off. I have just taped it on at the moment as I didn't want to do anything permanent that can't be undone if anyone knows how to get the broken part out. Just what does the brush and cap do in the motor anyway? Help please!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
I assume so; don't think he was that old. I never met him but Katrina did, when she went to pick up a purchase; she said she was sort of creeped out and glad she had taken her husband with her. I was curious about him because of his bad reputation and bought something from him, but by that time he was no longer allowing local pickup. I do have the book somewhere--only because I had already bought it. I don't think I would recommend it.

pat
Humm, Interesting. I picked up my Necchi in Alameda from a lady that told me she would get some of her machines from a Singer repair guy in that area. I thought she said his name was Jim. She stated he closed his business.

Hey, Who is Katrina? Did I meet her the first time I met you and Cathy at Cathy's, that May? Two gals were there that haven't been at the TOGAs since that May meeting when I first met you. Both seemed very knowledgeable on machines with some excellent tips.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 PM

I own a Standard like that. I took a look at my machine, but was unable to locate a screw and rod that look like one shown in photo.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 PM

Keeps the tension on the brush and spring and keeps them from popping out. Best bet is to post a picture for the best way to remove the part still in the motor.

Jon

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I have a Singer 99 that has the brush cap broken off on the motor, and I can't get the screw part of it out to put another one in. Does any one have any ideas of how to get it out? I tried using a small screwdriver to see if I could move it at all, and it doesn't move. Someone suggested that I just super glue the cap on. The spring is there in the hole, and the machine does work, even with the cap off. I have just taped it on at the moment as I didn't want to do anything permanent that can't be undone if anyone knows how to get the broken part out. Just what does the brush and cap do in the motor anyway? Help please!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did you guys take a sewing machine repair class or just pick this up, little by little. This thread is so interesting and I sure enjoy the information with pictures. I have a few questions for you guys, but will save them for another time. I just wanted to let you know that I'm kept busy for hours, reading your threads. Thank you all.

Claudia
Ray White teaches the repair/maintenance classes. Cathy and Miriam have taken his class.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

Good classes but a bit pricy if you are just working on your own machines.
You can get replacement motor brush caps from sew-classic - maybe Cathy has some too.
To get it off I think they unscrew. You may have to drill them out or something.
I have one needs to come out - it is half missing...
I'm wondering why John took the Standard all the way apart? No idea what part
Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

Charlee, you will need to go to a bicycle shop and pick up some Triflow - nothing works like that. That little part you show is still gummed up. The one in the bottom pictures is rarely stuck - that one in the upper picture splits apart after that pin goes out so it needs Triflow to ungum it - it will work so much easier. I think you can also order Triflow here and there on line much cheaper than the bicycle shop.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did you guys take a sewing machine repair class or just pick this up, little by little. This thread is so interesting and I sure enjoy the information with pictures. I have a few questions for you guys, but will save them for another time. I just wanted to let you know that I'm kept busy for hours, reading your threads. Thank you all.

Claudia
I took Ray's sewing class in May - a lot of stuff came together for me at that point and I learned a whole lot.
I have been messing with sewing machines for a long time before that. If one broke I tried to fix it. Some sewing machines were sacrificed along the way but not very many. If you want to learn, acquire an old junk sewing machine - something where you don't have anything to loose if it dies. Don't get one with rust - rust is hard to take care of... gummed up with dried up oil and not moving is ok - we can fix that. Muv (and Fav) has a wonderful set of videos posted in the sticky section above Vintage and Antique Sewing Machine Enthusiasts section of the main board. Welcome and don't be afraid to fix something - if you can follow directions to sew a quilt maybe you can follow directions in a repair manual and fix a machine. If you do get one gummed up use Triflow oil - it will save your vocabulary. You can ungum and free up a machine very quickly - it is the dried oil that you can't see that keeps it from moving consider the dried oil/shellac a protective coating - keeps the machine parts from rusting out when it is not used. Yes it looks prettier to clean it all off but it is not necessary. The Triflow seems to melt the gummy dried up oil and make things flow. You can look at people's profiles and find blogs with listings of good topics or some times look at 'recently posted topics' in the profile. I am still learning a lot - Since about December I have acquired quite a few sewing machines with issues. It is fun to try to solve their problems. I have a bunch with wiring issues. DH says he can show me how to solve that in his spare time... Beware that some old junk machines have plastic and stamped parts - these are fragile and we might not be much help with something like that. There was a guy at Ray's class took a machine apart - he wanted to see how it went - he never did put it back together. He says he wanted it for parts. Ray recommended leaving a parts machine in tact and just harvesting parts when needed.

Last edited by miriam; 06-03-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 AM

I think I already know the answer but is it possible to find a bobbin winder tire other than black? I would love to find the tan one to go on my 301A LBOW. It is very dry and cracked.

Jan
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
I think I already know the answer but is it possible to find a bobbin winder tire other than black? I would love to find the tan one to go on my 301A LBOW. It is very dry and cracked.

Jan
Jan, I've not seen them offered in anything but black.

Along the same lines, I wish the felt, spool protectors came in anything other than red!! I do have an accuquilt die that has circles....hmmmm. I would think brown, tan or even black would look much better than red.