Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Humm, Interesting. I picked up my Necchi in Alameda from a lady that told me she would get some of her machines from a Singer repair guy in that area. I thought she said his name was Jim. She stated he closed his business.

Hey, Who is Katrina? Did I meet her the first time I met you and Cathy at Cathy's, that May? Two gals were there that haven't been at the TOGAs since that May meeting when I first met you. Both seemed very knowledgeable on machines with some excellent tips.
Doesn't surprise me that he went out of business. Definite attitude problem.

Katrina was at one of the GC TOGAs a couple of years ago; can't remember if you were there then. She's an expert on 19th-century clothing and teaches anthro at one of the community colleges, and is the only one I know who has actually made clothing on a Grover & Baker 2-thread chainstitcher.

Could the other person have been Donna Kohler? She's been to at least one GC TOGA too. Alyce was there once too, but I don't know what has happened to her. Hope everybody is planning to come to the next one this fall at Cathy's new house!

pat
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Jan, I've not seen them offered in anything but black.

Along the same lines, I wish the felt, spool protectors came in anything other than red!! I do have an accuquilt die that has circles....hmmmm. I would think brown, tan or even black would look much better than red.
I make my own...not crazy about the red ones either. Since craft felt is so thin, I make mine 2 layers thick...just glue 2 pieces together with a THIN layer of Elmers glue (you don't want it bleeding thru the felt), let it dry, cut out your circle, & use a hole/leather punch for the spool pin hole.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
Doesn't surprise me that he went out of business. Definite attitude problem.

Katrina was at one of the GC TOGAs a couple of years ago; can't remember if you were there then. She's an expert on 19th-century clothing and teaches anthro at one of the community colleges, and is the only one I know who has actually made clothing on a Grover & Baker 2-thread chainstitcher.

Could the other person have been Donna Kohler? She's been to at least one GC TOGA too. Alyce was there once too, but I don't know what has happened to her. Hope everybody is planning to come to the next one this fall at Cathy's new house!

pat
Nope, it wasn't Katrina or Donna. I'm planning on making the next TOGA, hopefully I can make it. I will not be able to take Ray White's classes, between cost and my son's school schedule it just can't be done this year.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

a Pfaff 260 climbed in my car and followed me home... it has a flat bed - awkward bobbin - two belts - cleat type - needs a good clean up but seems like it will be a tank - maybe interesting to see the designs it can make - interesting place to put the motor - it's on the bottom - the machine is very dirty on the outside - inside looks like it was serviced at some point then parked for a while - don't know about the wiring
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 AM

i know there was mention of a pink sewing machine sometime recently. here is a pink vintage kenmore for sale.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/3054458368.html
Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
i know there was mention of a pink sewing machine sometime recently. here is a pink vintage kenmore for sale.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/3054458368.html
for $100 you would think it would be cleaned and ready to sew
Old 06-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
I make my own...not crazy about the red ones either. Since craft felt is so thin, I make mine 2 layers thick...just glue 2 pieces together with a THIN layer of Elmers glue (you don't want it bleeding thru the felt), let it dry, cut out your circle, & use a hole/leather punch for the spool pin hole.
Would it be stupid to buy a die for my Studio that cuts out a sheet of 1" circles? All I 'd have to do is hole punch them. Then, they'd be perfect and any color I wanted. Hmmmm.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Would it be stupid to buy a die for my Studio that cuts out a sheet of 1" circles? All I 'd have to do is hole punch them. Then, they'd be perfect and any color I wanted. Hmmmm.
Stupid, no. You could also sell them. I usually make my own, but compared to the manufactured ones they look terrible.
I'll take some blue, black, light green, beige, tan, ..........

Joe
Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM

A die would be great! I just use scissors & mine turned out great....but I'm such a perfectionist that I'll piddle around with 1 for an hour till I'm happy with it!!! I've pushed a 1" metal tube into the felt to get an indentation & used that for a guide...or traced around a small thread spool. But stamping them out would be so much easier! And like Joe said, I'll bet you could sell them...I've had several people ask where I got mine!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:43 PM

Jan, I've not seen them offered in anything but black.

Along the same lines, I wish the felt, spool protectors came in anything other than red!! I do have an accuquilt die that has circles....hmmmm. I would think brown, tan or even black would look much better than red.
I bought a multicolored pack of craft felt and cut my own to match each machine. However, I think a lot of machines have just a touch of red on the S in singer or in the dial selectors or something. I looked at them at the sewing man's price, and bought the felt. It will make quite a few. It was on clearance at walmart when I found it.