Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks, Miriam...... I do the cleaning of the machine in about the same order but I don't take everything off. I guess I should... one at a time, of course. I've never removed a tension to clean it. I just oil a cloth and run it between the discs. I know that there are instructions in the manuals about removing, cleaning, and returning the tensions but I'm a little nervous about it. If I can get the tension going well I just usually leave it alone...... clean what I can. I watched Muv's video about cleaning early on and was amazed at how clean I could get everything with metal polish and a piece of cotton string. Do you remember the old treadle I cleaned up? That was a job but everything works so nicely now. I have 5 machines that I bought last summer still waiting for cleanups..... since I broke my arm 2 days after we got home from the cabin last November I couldn't do anything till just before we came back up this spring. This summer I haven't gotten as many machines and my clean-up stuff is back down-state.

I do wish my GKs were closer..... They live 1500 miles from here, 750 when we are back down-state. Maybe the next time the GGD comes up she'll be old enough to tinker with the machines. She's 4 and a ball of energy.

I haven't decided yet if I will keep this machine up here or take it back with me in the fall. I originally wanted a 15 to do quilting but my DGD wants a sturdy machine so her DH can make some pillows. I have my original Viking that I gave her years ago that she might want that one back now...... I had to take it back and do a lot of repair because her roudy brothers messed it up. I'm kind of not wanting to give this 15 to her...... and it's so heavy to move around.

I was going to take the machine out of the cabinet to transport it but the foot controller was direct wired and the wire went through a metal plate in the side..... I didn't have many tools with me (I should have known better) and it was dark in that basement.... I sure don't want to take those wires apart and not know which one to connect back to what. So we carried the whole thing. I wasn't having any luck removing the drawers either. I need to figure out what keeps them from coming out. We put it in the well house. I have good lighting in there and plan to make it my repair station up here.

My DH isn't bad at repairing veneer..... he's done some of that on antique tables, etc. But, I'll have to check everything out in a couple of days. We have company coming up on Tuesday again. When you live on a lake, everybody wants to come fish!! And I have to order that cord and spool pin. I have time.
There's a little hole in the drawers...on the bottom at the back. Put a small screwdriver in there & push down as you're pulling out on the drawer. There's a little springy piece of metal under the drawer that acts as a drawer stop & pushing it down gets it out of the way.

To replace the drawers, just push them back in....making sure that the metal guides are meshed together correctly.
The stops are angled to allow you to push the drawer back in with a just a little pressure.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Don't assume the manual that came with the machine when you got it - was the original one that came with the machine. I've learned that the hard way!

And so did the person I bought a white FW from. It came with a manual for a 66 . . . she did her research, and was FIRM at $75. I did not realize what happened until after I'd paid, and she was commenting on how nice the manual was, and I casually said it had nothing to do with the machine, and I didn't have a use for it.

About half the machines I've gotten did not come with manuals, of those that did, about half came with the wrong manual (either wrong model or wrong series).

The threading in you picture and mine are the same - only the faceplate is different. The only thing you have to be careful of with 15's (and this is pre potted motor) is that for a short while Singer changed the 15 - and then they changed it back. I don't think it affects anything except the bobbin case is different.

When looking at covers of manuals, there will usually be a REV (XXX) number under the Form number, that is the Date of the revision, so (428) is April 1928 and (1032) is October 1932. Helps to locate a manual that is a revision slightly earlier than a machine date.

Example - your machine was made in 1928, you really don't want a manual with a revision date of 452. That mistake is one reason I've got some extra manuals - I bought them before I realized there were so many revisions. However it is interesting to look through them and see what changed - on one, it's only the light that came with the machine.

I have a manual for the 15-88 & 89 rev 336. It shows the scroll faceplate but not the smaller pictures showing the tension and needle. Pages 12 & 13 use the same drawings, but the wording is slightly different as is the type font.

From looking at them, if Singer made some serious changes to the booklet, they changed the Form number. If there is no revision date, then it's the first and you have to look at the copyright date to help figure it out.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:35 AM

So, I solved the problem of the non-sewing sewing machine. Moral to the story is not to believe the instructions that are posted for a sewing machine. I just for the heck of it tried threading the machine from right to left, instead of the instructed left to right, and...... IT SEWS JUST FINE. Sew, don't believe all you read.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks Miriam.
~G~
Old 08-12-2013, 02:30 PM

I just got some back clamping attachments that I bought on e-bay, and am wondering how to clean off the 90-100 years of grime. There is little or no rust to speak of. I tried s soft toothbrush and warm water with Dawn dish soap. What else can I use to get them grime off? Any ideas would be helpful. I hate to leave all of that 'patina' (dirty grime) on them. Thanks.
Janis
Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Janis gald you got the back clamp feet. I use kerosene and a toothbrush or a small brass brush to clean and then shine then with brasso. I just posted pics of my new machine on the photo section. A Grover and Baker but need a manual or threading instructions and the needle size for it. I think it is a boye #2 but not sure.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Glenn, I'm for sure going to stop at your house on the way to Florida.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

I cleaned up a couple Fashion Mate machines today. ARGH. Then I dug out a 301 I had stashed in a far corner. I made a new post about it. I haven't seen one with black under the paint or with black chrome pieces.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 AM

Grant your Minnesota H is beautiful. That is the best looking Minnesota I have seen - they are always missing most of their decals! That was a very lucky find! Oh and yes, treadling just takes time and lots and lots of practice! Ask me how I know! Your 301 is awesome too!

Macy love all your machines, but especially the 66 with the Lotus decals! And Wow, what a nice job walking us through the attachments! I would love for us all to be able to get together and do some actual attachment demonstrations! Maybe, at the next TOGA! I do so much better with hands on!

Diajo, I think that is the first husqvarna treadle I have seen! Wow! I love it when we see something 'out of the box' of our normal Singers! I also love the Singer 320 free arm! I am like Miriam, I didn't know they made a free arm in the 306, 319, series!

Glenn your Gover and Baker is awesome! What a collection you have now!

Nancy
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Grant your Minnesota H is beautiful. That is the best looking Minnesota I have seen - they are always missing most of their decals! That was a very lucky find! Oh and yes, treadling just takes time and lots and lots of practice! Ask me how I know! Your 301 is awesome too!

Nancy
Thank you Nancy. I couldn't pass that Minnesota up. I went to look at it and planned on talking myself out of it while I was there, but I couldn't pick apart anything on it. I got an unbelievable deal on it too.
Glen, I too agree that your G&B is great. What a cabinet!!! I hope you can get it sewing again. I would like to see it work.
I just found another machine that was in too good of condition to pass up and picked it up early this morning. It is a Toy that still has the tiny spools of thread still wrapped in plastic. I posted a couple of pictures of it here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t170590-8.html
~G~