Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
I am glad to hear from everyone! With the overwhelming love of Singers, I thought I was missing something. My Singer 99K sounds like my mother's FW.

That click, click, is a muffled sound from my childhood. My mother stitching together her daughters' prom dresses, fixing Daddy's work shirts, and my everyday clothes at the kitchen table in the wee night hours with that amazing machine... They had a symbiotic relationship. It never gave her the fits it gave the rest of us.

I remain a fan of all things not Singer. Perhaps some day, a special machine will change my perspective!

You really have to try all the different models. My 201, 15 and 221 are my favourites for sewing in that order. My 99k is my least favourite as the tension is hard to adjust properly. Without a doubt the 15 is the easiest to fix, maintain and use. I would start with one of those. If you want a really nice machine that's a bit harder to maintain, then I would choose the 201. That sucker is a GOOD machine, but the bobbin assembly can be a bit tricky to deal with. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
You really have to try all the different models. My 201, 15 and 221 are my favourites for sewing in that order. My 99k is my least favourite as the tension is hard to adjust properly. Without a doubt the 15 is the easiest to fix, maintain and use. I would start with one of those. If you want a really nice machine that's a bit harder to maintain, then I would choose the 201. That sucker is a GOOD machine, but the bobbin assembly can be a bit tricky to deal with. Just my 2 cents.
take the 99s tension apart and put it back together after you clean it - I bet you would like it a lot better... my 2 cents
Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 PM

Miriam,

I've missed your posts also! I'm glad you are home safely. True, it has NOT been really warm in Florida for the past several weeks. We live in Ocala (about 35 miles south of Gainesville where the University of Florida is located). It was in the 20's here last week -- no fun.

Don't work too hard!

Jeanette
Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Miriam,

I've missed your posts also! I'm glad you are home safely. True, it has NOT been really warm in Florida for the past several weeks. We live in Ocala (about 35 miles south of Gainesville where the University of Florida is located). It was in the 20's here last week -- no fun.

Don't work too hard!

Jeanette
We stopped in Ocala - went to the wonderful library and then walked around in the little memorial park - actually found one of my ancestor Jacob Stroud's brick. I think it was probably the only day besides the day we left that wasn't cold.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460062[/ATTACH]
DH spotted that one.
Attached Thumbnails january-2014-027.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 AM

Can anyone tell me why the thread Quilts made with vintage machines is closed. It looks like it has the lock on it.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 AM

I got in. but the last post was op deleting a dupe photo & saying it's slow. Maybe a temp server problem?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM

I still can't get into quilts made with vintage machines but I can all the other threads on the list. Something is wrong here.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Glenn, I just posted there, see what happens when you click this link to it..
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...34918-146.html

Last edited by oldsewnsew; 02-03-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: no excuse, can't spell even on a PC!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 PM

Glenn, I can't get into that thread either. I made a post of photos of the quilt that I made for Cathy. I had one extra photo that I tried to delete, but was unable to do so because the system was slow. So, I gave up fixing that. Now I can see the first page of that thread, but not the last page.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:08 PM

I showed the situation to my son, the teenage wiz on computers. He thinks it is the data base that is messed up and they need to fix the server.

So, until that is fixed here is a photo of the picture of the quilt for Cathy. Her used jeans and my fabrics used to make her a denim quilt. Piecing done on the Two Spools and quilting done with the Davis NVF.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460462[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2014-02-03-9.14.53-am.png