Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-16-2015, 06:36 PM

Hello :)

I hope Im not completely lost if I post a question about my Anker RZ here. I have seen it earlier in this thread, and I actually joined the board because of it :)

My name is Claus. I live in Norway, and I love vintage machinery! Over here, German made machines are most common alongside Singer ofcourse, and I am fortunate enough to understand German. Kind of...
Anyway. I bought this fantastic Anker RZ of ebay.de, and it does not come with a bobbin case. I have both the service manual and the user manual, but none of them specifies what kind of bobbin case I need exept stating it is a CB one.
I am not too familiar with sewing machines, but I understand there are a multitude of different CB-bobbin cases now even if it aparently was not in 1953.
I have found one bobbin case called Class 15 that resembles the one I need, but it is for industrial machines?
My Anker might be kind of industrial by todays standards, but since they are so expensive I was hoping for some help on identifying the exact case I need.

I have the illustration from the user manual. If anyone knows, or would like to guess what this bobbin is called (if ordering online in english :) I would be so greatful!

- looks like "Class 15"
- Needle system: 287 "round shank" up to 16/100
- machine made in 1953

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506461[/ATTACH]

And the wonder itself:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506468[/ATTACH]

Notice the extra tension-spool for double-needle "folding" (is it called tacking?) use :)

And at last. I am actually transcribing the German Service manual, and will post text or link later on if anyone has one of these machines still and would like to pick it apart :)

Thank you so much for a fine forum!

Claus :)
Attached Thumbnails spole.jpg   001.jpg  
Old 01-17-2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Hi everyone. I was asked a question that I need some help on.
Someone asked me about a Singer 411G (Made in Germany). They want to convert it to be able to use in the USA. It currently has a 220 volt motor in it. He has a power converter for it but he doesn't like it.

My question- Would a motor from a US built 400 series machine fit in his 411G, housing extension and all? Would it be a direct bolt in swap? Also, are the electrical connections compatible?
Thank you in advance,
~Grant~
Hello,

It would be a direct bolt in swap on the motor for sure if you take it from another 411. Unsure of how a 220v foot pedal will do on 110v, and light bulb would need to be replaced, but wiring / cables are ok.

I understand that Singer still can provide you with some sort of list of compatible motors. They would also be able to tell you if you need a 110v foot pedal or if internals are the same on 220 / 110.

I came across this related blogpost:
http://witsend2.blogspot.no/2013/08/...31g-story.html

Motor on 411 is called "PA gear drive", and is also used in 301A, 404, "and other 400 & 700 m/cs". (http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/motors/). I bet Singer could provide info on bolt in swaps from models other than 411.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:33 PM

This guy(?) "qualmwolke" talks about an Anker RZ that is rusted and frozen. He is keeping it for parts. His email address is in the post below dated
02.09.2014, 16:21
Worth a shot? Or maybe he knows somebody who knows somebody....

http://www.hobbyschneiderin24.net/po.../t-176204.html
Old 01-18-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Hello,

It would be a direct bolt in swap on the motor for sure if you take it from another 411. Unsure of how a 220v foot pedal will do on 110v, and light bulb would need to be replaced, but wiring / cables are ok.

I understand that Singer still can provide you with some sort of list of compatible motors. They would also be able to tell you if you need a 110v foot pedal or if internals are the same on 220 / 110.

I came across this related blogpost:
http://witsend2.blogspot.no/2013/08/...31g-story.html

Motor on 411 is called "PA gear drive", and is also used in 301A, 404, "and other 400 & 700 m/cs". (http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/motors/). I bet Singer could provide info on bolt in swaps from models other than 411.

Thank you Claus. That is the information I needed to pass along. Thank you very much.
~G~
Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
This guy(?) "qualmwolke" talks about an Anker RZ that is rusted and frozen. He is keeping it for parts. His email address is in the post below dated
02.09.2014, 16:21
Worth a shot? Or maybe he knows somebody who knows somebody....

http://www.hobbyschneiderin24.net/po.../t-176204.html
Thank you Ill try sending an email to see if he / she knows anything about the case.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Claus I saw a older Paff for sale and it appeared to have the same type of bobbin that yours uses. Also some of the online vintage machine sites in the UK have these type of bobbins for sale, have you tried a search of them? They are very well informed. I hope this is of some help to you.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Jan,
What a great find. I just got one that was passed thru a family. So they gave it to me. She is the exact one, looking at the picture. But in very bad shape. I will wait until summer to clean her up when I can have windows open.

Until you can find one you can always one of the electric bobbin winders http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Sid...n=B001CE8JBU00

Save my contact info and contact me later summer to see if I got mine in working order. If not you are welcome to what ever you need.

I am in Rochester NY
Old 01-19-2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Hello

I bought this fantastic Anker RZ of ebay.de, and it does not come with a bobbin case. I have both the service manual and the user manual, but none of them specifies what kind of bobbin case I need exept stating it is a CB one.
I am not too familiar with sewing machines, but I understand there are a multitude of different CB-bobbin cases now even if it aparently was not in 1953.
I have found one bobbin case called Class 15 that resembles the one I need, but it is for industrial machines?

I have the illustration from the user manual. If anyone knows, or would like to guess what this bobbin is called (if ordering online in english I would be so greatful!

- looks like "Class 15"
- Needle system: 287 "round shank" up to 16/100
- machine made in 1953

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506461[/ATTACH]
Claus, I had an Anker RZ at one time but it didn't have the two tensions, but otherwise looked like your machine. I don't recall it needing a round needle though, so it might not be the same. Class 15 bobbins are not for industrial machines per say. It may take the class 15 bobbins. You might want to try a class 15 case just for giggles. I did that on a machine once and it worked. If you have a Japanese Clone or a Singer 15 it might work. Some of the fingers point to the left, and some point to the right depending on the model. It looks like yours would point to the right. If you have a local shop, take the machine in and ask if you can try on some bobbin cases to see if one fits. It might save you a lot of time and frustration. A vintage Pfaff case might work too. I know mine was not all that hard to get parts for, but again, it might not have been the same configuration.
I hope this helps.
~Grant~
Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

That Anker likely uses L bobbins.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:37 AM

OK, I am coming to the support group with a dilemma. I want so desperately to fall off the no new machines wagon I can taste the fall. I saw a Bernina 730 Record, in a cabinet, with attachments, manuals, other paraphernalia including bobbins, and a key to said cabinet for the whopping price of $125. I know that's a good price for the machine if it works (did not test said machine) but even though I already have way too many I want the machine. Picture a 2 yr old temper tantrum being thrown on my end in my mind is how bad I want this machine.

I do realize this is the wrong group to come for support but am willing to entertain suggestions, reasonable or otherwise.