Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S View Post
I have a chance of getting my aunt's Singer 500. It is a state away. I called the ups box store and they want $358 to ship it to me. I feel that the machine is not worth that much money. I can not drive up and get it as it would cost me more than that is gas and it would not fit in any of my cars. It is in a large three drawer cabinet. I looked on the internet company for trucking firms and most of the ones in the area are one to two truck companies. I do not want to use just any company. Does any one have any ideas or am I just going to have to pay the fee? Kathie
Which state? You might be able to arrange for a member here to pick it up for you. Another idea is if you don't want the desk, have someone take the machine, controller and any other bits out and just have those sent to you.
I guess what I'm getting at is you might be able to find a workable solution for far less than $350.
Rodney
Old 06-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kathie S View Post
I have a chance of getting my aunt's Singer 500. It is a state away. I called the ups box store and they want $358 to ship it to me. I feel that the machine is not worth that much money. I can not drive up and get it as it would cost me more than that is gas and it would not fit in any of my cars. It is in a large three drawer cabinet. I looked on the internet company for trucking firms and most of the ones in the area are one to two truck companies. I do not want to use just any company. Does any one have any ideas or am I just going to have to pay the fee? Kathie
Look into Greyhound bus line. They used to be good way to ship bulky items for less than UPS or other shipping companies.

Cari
Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Thank you for all these great ideas. All my family live within a 10 mile radius of me and my aunt lives over 600 miles always. It would cost me more than 350 in gas just to rent a vehicle plus rent fees. Greyhound sounds good but will they pick up and pack? My aunt is 98 can not do this. I think I am stuck and will have to pass up this sewing machine. Kathie
Old 06-12-2015, 05:02 PM

Well, I'm sure glad to hear I am not only one! I do remember reading about a machine in a cabinet getting dropped on (I believe) her husband's foot while they were moving it....looked quite painful!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 PM

I received a treadle sewing machine it belonged to my grandmother, the sewing machine is a singer they say.
looking at it I can see only a dark old sewing machine (some rust for sure).Which would need to be reworked totally, painted, no belt etc. Cabinet can be sanded and redone, I do enjoy working with wood.
I have seen some worse but they were missing parts. I see how well people on this site can remake them so
wonderful. I do not know how. But you can do wonders with them, Love them. I am thinking maybe find a nice looking red eye singer or something in that line.
Would love for it to work, but if only for looks would like to have one for her cabinet for me to look at. Around 50.-100. Is this a fair price or is it a dreaming. Also will any treadle machine fit into any cabinet the older ones with the treadle. Loved granny and what the memories of her (she and I are the only sewing people in our family)
Old 06-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sherian View Post
I received a treadle sewing machine it belonged to my grandmother, the sewing machine is a singer they say.
looking at it I can see only a dark old sewing machine (some rust for sure).Which would need to be reworked totally, painted, no belt etc. Cabinet can be sanded and redone, I do enjoy working with wood.
I have seen some worse but they were missing parts. I see how well people on this site can remake them so
wonderful. I do not know how. But you can do wonders with them, Love them. I am thinking maybe find a nice looking red eye singer or something in that line.
Would love for it to work, but if only for looks would like to have one for her cabinet for me to look at. Around 50.-100. Is this a fair price or is it a dreaming. Also will any treadle machine fit into any cabinet the older ones with the treadle. Loved granny and what the memories of her (she and I are the only sewing people in our family)
LINK:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7210797
Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sherian View Post
I received a treadle sewing machine it belonged to my grandmother...
Which would need to be reworked totally, painted, no belt etc. Cabinet can be sanded and redone...
Loved granny and what the memories of her (she and I are the only sewing people in our family)
1. I'd trade my whole collection for my grandmothers old Singer treadle, THAT is how much it is worth to ME.

2. Old Singer almost NEVER need to be "reworked (stripped and painted) they just need maintenance. More than likely your grandmothers machine would sew just fine with a little bit of TLC.

3. Sounds like you asked about preserving your Grandmothers machine, then started talking about replacing it...???

We can "do wonders" because we READ,READ,READ and then with folks help here started slowly and learned as we went.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:48 PM

Thanks for input. I and already know I will redo the wood work, because it really needs it. One thing I am ok good at. I like the wood work part, and will always keep. My granny passed 18 years ago. Machine has been in garage (family member has had it) So the machine itself I can not even tell what make or anything. I know she had a singer, we did sewing projects on it. Paint is I guess melted off, no decals to see. Therefore I was looking at red eye singer machine or something in that line to replace it. I may need to get it worked on and know too! But the other machine I think I to far gone , and rightly so the cost. It is a labor of love and skill to redo a sewing machine needing
a good payment, for bring back you might say life to a sewing machine. Just thinking ahead in order to use it and be happy getting a sewing machine.

Last edited by sherian; 06-22-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 PM

Yes I have read The link: "How much is my machine worth" Several times over the last month.
It does not apply here, I know the sewing machine I have is not good, therefore, I am looking for a replacement
for the cabinet I will refinish. I was wondering about a fair - good price for replacement.
When I bought a Genie sewing machine a year ago, you said I paid to much (100.00) It was worth it to me, my 1st sewing machine was a Genie. I like it, when sewing my memory is full of wonderful times, even if the bobbin winder does work, not a problem you can't get around. Mr. Miller was selling it at the time. Thought I would check out what people thought this time on. Too much or to little is a question each of ask seller or buyer.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:33 AM
Power Poster

Can you shoot a pic of the machine? You would be surprised what machine can come to life with a little TLC. Some times they don't look like much but sew like a dream when you get them done. Glenn has tutorials how to make them shine. I have salvaged several rust bucket machines to like new sewing condition. I never mind that it looks beat up.
Link:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t261967.html
That is about a machine I spent quite a bit of time working on. The pictures I posted on the first page disappeared - I re-posted them later on in the thread. I was amazed at how well it sewed. Looks isn't everything.

Here is the poem for that machine:
old - played out - spent
not worth a dollar or cent
grubby - worn - bent
more than one dent
ugly I meant
kind of a peculiar scent
to here - was sent
time lent
oil to prevent
turned - went!