Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 59 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 9 49 58 59 60 69 109 159 559 1059 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #1451
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    Very pretty, Charlee! Youre house must be nearly filled, lol, with all those beauties!

  2. #1452
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Lisa, another member turned me onto this one...it was an auction thing... :) I paid a whopping $6.00 for her! From what I understand, the Damascus is a badged machine made by National, so the parts shouldn't be TOO hard to find...

    And yep...William is starting to question my sanity...there's a few spaces left....I have a machine that needs to go to Tennesee, and that will give me a treadle for it... now I need to find the base for a second one that I have a bid on...another low bid! :lol: Good part is, the owner isn't far from me, so shipping is cheap! :D

  3. #1453
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Linda, I know that machine would be living at my house if I'd seen it first and could get to it!! :lol:

    Does that help?
    Charlee, yes, it helped. Do you know anything about this machine? I like it just the way it is; looks used; appreciated and sew on...

  4. #1454
    Senior Member Deara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rowan County, North Carolina
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Anyone know anything about this machine? It says Chicago Sewing Machine Co. on it and Peerless is across the head. It is a treadle. :shock:


    My, she is a pretty one. She would look fine in a Victorian parlor. I like her. What are you going to name her?

    Blessings to you sister,
    Sandi

  5. #1455
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    OK here's the little black Singer from the auction.
    Im thinking that little hole is where the cord for the foot pedal goes. I havent opened up that little black lid to see. It is screwed down.
    I looked at the serial number on this machine again in the daylight and the C is really a 0. So, its serial number is AG103227. Can anyone help me date this one?

  6. #1456
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    OK here's the little black Singer from the auction.
    Im thinking that little hole is where the cord for the foot pedal goes. I havent opened up that little black lid to see. It is screwed down.
    I looked at the serial number on this machine again in the daylight and the C is really a 0. So, its serial number is AG103227. Can anyone help me date this one?
    According to the Singer Sewing machine serial number site it is a Singer 99; 10,000 made and the issue date was September 9, 1941. :D

  7. #1457
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Linda, from what I understand, it's a badged name...Peerless machines were sold by a company that had other's make the machines for them. Chicago Sewing Machine Company was one. Peerless, I understand, was also made by White. (Altho your's was obviously made by CSMC ;) )

    I don't have a clue as to the age of the machine...guessing about the early 1900's?

  8. #1458
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Thanks Charlee. :D

  9. #1459
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    Well, I ALMOST got a Featherweight today! :)

    I went to a garage sale and I saw one. :shock: :shock:

    The machine itself was in great shape and had the box with all the accessories. I didn't see the book, but at this point I didn't care. She was so beautiful and looked practically new although the case was beat up and the end was cut of the cord off.

    When asking about the price, the fellow went to a woman and asked her about it. They said it was put out by accident and wasn't for sale.
    :cry: :cry: :evil: :cry:

    I can't believe I was so close to getting one. :cry: :cry:

  10. #1460
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    Well, I ALMOST got a Featherweight today! :)

    I went to a garage sale and I saw one. :shock: :shock:

    The machine itself was in great shape and had the box with all the accessories. I didn't see the book, but at this point I didn't care. She was so beautiful and looked practically new although the case was beat up and the end was cut of the cord off.

    When asking about the price, the fellow went to a woman and asked her about it. They said it was put out by accident and wasn't for sale.
    :cry: :cry: :evil: :cry:

    I can't believe I was so close to getting one. :cry: :cry:
    OUCH! Maybe the next one will be even better.

  11. #1461
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    There's always hope. I guess I wasn't good enough as I an argument with my brother yesterday. I hate to argue!

    Some day I will have one though!

  12. #1462
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    aw Jan...just imagine that the FW you saw today has a broken tention assembly on it, and the one that you're acutally meant to buy is going to be perfect!! ;)

  13. #1463
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Jan, please keep me posted. I am sure it is not because you are not good enough but rather, there is a better one out there for you and at a great price. Wait for the good price. I sure have seeing people that are asking wayyyyy too much for FWs.

  14. #1464
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    SNEAK PREVIEW!!

    Here is a peek at what is going on in my hubby's workshop. He is replicating the treadle cabinet that came with the $30 Damascus that was a rescue. I can hardly wait until DH is finished with it. Oh yeah, and I take the machine apart, clean it and put it back together. Ahhhh, the last part is a bit scary but I will persever.

    It is made of Sycamore. Cool! :shock: :shock:
    Attached Images Attached Images


  15. #1465
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    aw Jan...just imagine that the FW you saw today has a broken tention assembly on it, and the one that you're acutally meant to buy is going to be perfect!! ;)
    I think of it as looking like the 1912 Singer Treadle in my garage that I am trying to refurbish. Right now that one has parts soaking in kerosene. I haven't torn out the main part yet as everything is rusted solid. I did a little on the cabinet though while I waiting on the soaking. But some day, this too will be shiny and polished!!! and working!

  16. #1466
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    Wow SewExtreme! The grain in that cabinet is beautiful! Plus the molding!

  17. #1467
    Senior Member Deara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rowan County, North Carolina
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    SNEAK PREVIEW!!

    Here is a peek at what is going on in my hubby's workshop. He is replicating the treadle cabinet that came with the $30 Damascus that was a rescue. I can hardly wait until DH is finished with it. Oh yeah, and I take the machine apart, clean it and put it back together. Ahhhh, the last part is a bit scary but I will persever.

    It is made of Sycamore. Cool! :shock: :shock:

    WOW WOW WOW...........

    That is beautiful. Hubby is very talented.
    I want one (whine whine whine)........

  18. #1468
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Linda, How do I get you and your qubby to adopt me? :lol: That is nothing short of gorgeous!! WOW!

  19. #1469
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    Wow SewExtreme! The grain in that cabinet is beautiful! Plus the molding!
    Thank you Jan. Well, actually I am saying thank you for my hubby. I so admire his work. :D :D :-)

  20. #1470
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara

    It is made of Sycamore. Cool! :shock: :shock:

    WOW WOW WOW...........

    That is beautiful. Hubby is very talented.
    I want one (whine whine whine)........[/quote]

    Thanks! Who knows, if you drive out west maybe DH will make one for you! :-D

  21. #1471
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara

    It is made of Sycamore. Cool! :shock: :shock:

    WOW WOW WOW...........

    That is beautiful. Hubby is very talented.
    I want one (whine whine whine)........
    Thanks! Who knows, if you drive out west maybe DH will make one for you! :-D[/quote]

    HEY! I'm out west!! :lol:

  22. #1472
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Linda, How do I get you and your qubby to adopt me? :lol: That is nothing short of gorgeous!! WOW!
    Hmmm... have to think on that one! DH has been looking at parlor cabinets and is pretty sure he can replicate one. Interested?????

    Thank you. :-D

    DH used the original 4 drawers and put new fronts on them.

  23. #1473
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara

    It is made of Sycamore. Cool! :shock: :shock:

    WOW WOW WOW...........

    That is beautiful. Hubby is very talented.
    I want one (whine whine whine)........
    Thanks! Who knows, if you drive out west maybe DH will make one for you! :-D
    HEY! I'm out west!! :lol:[/quote]

    That's right, you are out west! Anything is possible. Let me know. :D

  24. #1474
    Super Member Aurora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Time
    Posts
    2,125
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by summerstorm
    Hi All,

    I guess I need the wiring information. I bought a Singer 66 # AF627988 Appx 1940. I knew there was no cord or foot control but I had no idea it would not be an easy matter to get one. It has 3 prongs and I thought I found one, however, when I emailed the lady about a cord she said I would have to send in the entire motor assembly to be rewired and that it was expensive!

    I can not see putting major money into it. Is she correct? Any alternatives?

    Blessings,

    Sharon


    I dropped the foot control for my 301a and broke the porcelain insulator inside and the spring would no longer work. It used the same cord and foot control as my FW. I went on eBay and found one, bought it and it works great. I am attaching a pdf file of machine plugs/cords.

    There are a couple of places to check on line if you cannot find it on eBay. Stitchesintime (that Billy mentioned) and SewClassic.com. You can also do a search, there are several websites that offer parts for vintage machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #1475
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    A kind soul posted this link on the Treadleon list, and I had to check it out. I finally made it through 99 pages of posts! (I would like to say my housework is suffering, but I put it out of it's misery long ago.) I probably know some of you from other lists, but I'm a collector (translation: hoarder) and occasional sewist. I have 150+ machines, most vintage or antique. I usually sew on a treadle or handcrank machine, whichever one I can unearth first. I'm currently making a bedding set for my granddaughter and am using my 201 in a "Big Wheel" treadle. (That's what I should be doing right now, since she's due to arrive in less than a month.) I've posted a few random photos of machines--a Singer VS 2 parlor cabinet (I'm a sucker for parlor cabinets), a Singer 320K that originally had a 220 motor which now has been replaced, and a Japanese clone that I've converted to HC. (Love the 50's Japanese machines!!
    Delighted to be here, and happy to see what everyone has hidden in the cellars and rafters.
    Miz Johnny in Lexington, KY

    Front of Singer VS 2 Parlor Cabinet
    Name:  Attachment-75038.jpe
Views: 190
Size:  46.8 KB

    Singer 320K
    Name:  Attachment-75039.jpe
Views: 193
Size:  56.6 KB

    Japanese Clone Converted to HC
    Name:  Attachment-75040.jpe
Views: 182
Size:  62.6 KB

Page 59 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 9 49 58 59 60 69 109 159 559 1059 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.