Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
So, I have a sad (or perhaps pitiful) story that may be of benefit to someone else.

Several years ago, I purchased a red-eye that was in pretty bad shape. Just the machine; no table. I had it in my mind to refurbish it (using that wonderful set of instructions a former QBer had put together) and turn it into a treadle. One winter, I started taking it apart, taking photos of every piece, organizing the pieces in different little dishes based on where they came from in the machine, then I put it up, waiting for spring to come so I could do the nasty work outside with lots of fresh air.

Well, um, my dear sweet Gryphon kitty went exploring on my desk one day, bored because it was too cold to go outside. He found the neatly stacked bowls of parts and decided they must be toys for him. I mean really, what else could they be? He knocked over the bowls, and all their parts went waterfalling down together into a mixed up mess of a pile behind my desk and behind a bunch of boxes. Horrified, I delayed dealing with it for oh... I dunno... a year? I finally pulled away the boxes and the desk and gathered all (I hope) the loose parts, but somewhere in there, I lost heart about trying to put humpty back together again. (This is probably a good argument why amateurs should stay away from such projects...)

In the meantime, my brother found and gave me another Singer red-eye, in much better shape; she is now the target of my retrofitting-to-treadle, and I haven't dared yet take her apart.

I'm seeking to find a new home for my first red-eye and parts, perhaps in exchange for some advice about my new red-eye. I'm too embarrassed to ask for money for it.

I live in Bethesda, MD, near Glen Echo Park. If you're interested in discussing possibilities, PM me.
That is a sad story everyone can learn from it. Don't try to take a sewing machine all apart. If you take apart anything take a little off at a time, clean it and put it back. A lot of it will clean just fine in place. Muv and Glenn have wonderful tutorials about how to clean and how to make the finish look good. At this point your machine might serve well for parts for someone who needs parts. I bet you would have some takers for parts. Maybe Joe or someone would like a kit though.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM

So, I have a sad (or perhaps pitiful) story that may be of benefit to someone else.

Several years ago, I purchased a red-eye that was in pretty bad shape. Just the machine; no table. I had it in my mind to refurbish it (using that wonderful set of instructions a former QBer had put together) and turn it into a treadle. One winter, I started taking it apart, taking photos of every piece, organizing the pieces in different little dishes based on where they came from in the machine, then I put it up, waiting for spring to come so I could do the nasty work outside with lots of fresh air.

Well, um, my dear sweet Gryphon kitty went exploring on my desk one day, bored because it was too cold to go outside. He found the neatly stacked bowls of parts and decided they must be toys for him. I mean really, what else could they be? He knocked over the bowls, and all their parts went waterfalling down together into a mixed up mess of a pile behind my desk and behind a bunch of boxes. Horrified, I delayed dealing with it for oh... I dunno... a year? I finally pulled away the boxes and the desk and gathered all (I hope) the loose parts, but somewhere in there, I lost heart about trying to put humpty back together again. (This is probably a good argument why amateurs should stay away from such projects...)

In the meantime, my brother found and gave me another Singer red-eye, in much better shape; she is now the target of my retrofitting-to-treadle, and I haven't dared yet take her apart.

I'm seeking to find a new home for my first red-eye and parts, perhaps in exchange for some advice about my new red-eye. I'm too embarrassed to ask for money for it.

I live in Bethesda, MD, near Glen Echo Park. If you're interested in discussing possibilities, PM me.
Been there, done that. I'm certain someone(s) would be thrilled to buy or receive parts from your Redeye "organ donor".

Jon
Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Can anyone tell me how to keep the belt in place on a treadle machine when the top is open ?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls View Post
Can anyone tell me how to keep the belt in place on a treadle machine when the top is open ?
Hi Loraine,
I've been using a treadle since 2007 and have learned so much.
It sounds like you need to shorten your belt a bit. Can you post a picture so I can see what's going on? Please make sure the picture isn't dark.
Sharon W.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:28 AM

I just got a Red Eye and sure could use some parts. Especially the bobbin cover plate and spool pins. Do you still have it?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
I just got a Red Eye and sure could use some parts. Especially the bobbin cover plate and spool pins. Do you still have it?
Those parts can be gotten from sew-classic!!! Not expensive either! http://shop.sew-classic.com/1-Sewing...e-Parts_c2.htm
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Those parts can be gotten from sew-classic!!! Not expensive either! http://shop.sew-classic.com/1-Sewing...e-Parts_c2.htm
OMG such great news!!! You have been so much help. Thank you sooooooo much!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM

As soon as I figure out how will send a pic ...Thanks purplefiend
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

Default Probably at the top of my want list.....sigh....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arm-Platform...-/181356097220
Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 AM

Hi SteveH,
Alex Askaroff has a loverly example of that machine on his website.

http://sewalot.com/sewing_machine_collection.htm

Sharon in Texas