Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 37 of 92 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 87 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 925 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

  1. #901
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Cool machine. I love the big handwheel. The cabinet looks like it is in great condition too. Are you going to treadle or use the handcrank? Both? I can't make out the name of the machine. Great find though.
    ~G~

  2. #902
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,322
    I thought that I was going to be picking this machine up this weekend, but it turns out the ad was for the cabinet only... $50
    Attachment 388418

    it was a Harris #2

  3. #903
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,322
    so I will try for this one instead...
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/3482202015.html

  4. #904
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    so I will try for this one instead...
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/3482202015.html
    LOVE that WW! I have two of the #9 but that looks like it may be a 4 or something else? Doesn't look like a 9.

  5. #905
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    That is a real nice W&W 9. I'd go for it if I had any more room. I have a W&W 9 hand crank that is the nicest stitcher EVER.

    Cathy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    so I will try for this one instead...
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/3482202015.html
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  6. #906
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    That is a real nice W&W 9. I'd go for it if I had any more room. I have a W&W 9 hand crank that is the nicest stitcher EVER.

    Cathy
    If only I had more room. <sighs loudly>

  7. #907
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,133
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    No you don't need a model number for a treadle belt. Most all treadle belts that come pre-cut and packaged are 72"s. You will then have to measure the belt to your machine, cut it the correct length and use the little staple like thing that comes with the belt to connect the ends together. Some people on here sew their belts together with dental floss or a heavy thread. Your machine (looks like a Model 127) will use the normal pre-packaged treadle belts. Most all sewing repair shops carry those belts, as do most on-line sewing stores. Just put the belt around the treadle wheel, around your hand wheel slot, cut one end of the leather off where the two ends meet, now sew/connect together. Don't put the belt too tight, but if you find it is too lose when you start to treadle, just cut and re-sew a second time.


    Nancy
    I sew my treadle belts with dental floss and a large eye tapestry needle, it all started cuz I got frustrated over the staple breaking. There's no tick,tick noise of the staple when you sew them.
    The vast majority of treadles use a belt that is a bit less than 72", but not my Pfaff treadle; its in an idustrial treadle stand. It needs about 80" if I recall correctly.
    Sharon
    Last edited by purplefiend; 01-17-2013 at 04:42 AM.

  8. #908
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,231
    Blog Entries
    1
    Learning to treadle is on my to do list, now that I owe 2.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

  9. #909
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    I sew my treadle belts with dental floss and a large eye tapestry needle, it all started cuz I got frustrated over the staple breaking. There's no tick,tick noise of the staple when you sew them.
    The vast majority of treadles use a belt that is a bit less than 72", but not my Pfaff treadle; its in an idustrial treadle stand. It needs about 80" if I recall correctly.
    Sharon
    Sharon I didn't want to confuse her with the industrial belt size. I also had to buy a roll of treadle belt because my industrial Hitachi takes an 80" or so belt. That is why I said for most domestic machines the belts come 72" and have to be cut. But, this is something good to bring up for those of you who do find an industrial treadle.

    Cathy, I have always said that the Wheeler and Wilson's are the aristocrates of the sewing machine world! But, Steve, remember that on a W&W the hand wheel turns the opposite way of the Singer (and most vintage machines) wheel!

    Nancy

  10. #910
    Senior Member Spudgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    333
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    No you don't need a model number for a treadle belt. Most all treadle belts that come pre-cut and packaged are 72"s. You will then have to measure the belt to your machine, cut it the correct length and use the little staple like thing that comes with the belt to connect the ends together. Some people on here sew their belts together with dental floss or a heavy thread. Your machine (looks like a Model 127) will use the normal pre-packaged treadle belts. Most all sewing repair shops carry those belts, as do most on-line sewing stores. Just put the belt around the treadle wheel, around your hand wheel slot, cut one end of the leather off where the two ends meet, now sew/connect together. Don't put the belt too tight, but if you find it is too lose when you start to treadle, just cut and re-sew a second time.

    Nancy
    Thank you for the directions Nancy. I did find a belt online, but have not ordered it yet. If you sew the ends together, do you butt them together or overlap the two ends?
    -Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy -and- sorrow, stitched with love- http://spudgrandma.wordpress.com/

  11. #911
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgm View Post
    Thank you for the directions Nancy. I did find a belt online, but have not ordered it yet. If you sew the ends together, do you butt them together or overlap the two ends?
    Just butt the ends together, no overlapping. Overlapping would make the belt too thick for the grove. Let us know how it goes when you start treadling!

    Nancy

  12. #912
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Steve, remember that on a W&W the hand wheel turns the opposite way of the Singer (and most vintage machines) wheel!Nancy
    Thanks for that! I am not getting a reply from them but i did get a call back from this gentleman, who is working out the shipping costs now...
    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/3547420467.html

    I may just have another project to add to the restore list...

  13. #913
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    so I will try for this one instead...
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/3482202015.html
    I am meeting them Friday night to look this one over.

  14. #914
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,322
    and this one is now on the way to me....
    Name:  Craigslist picture.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  39.1 KB

  15. #915
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,410
    Blog Entries
    2
    You are in big trouble - soon your place will look like mine...
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  16. #916
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    I pulled a dusty Kenmore 1218 out of storage, and last night I found it a nice home.
    Name:  IMG_8810.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  767.7 KB
    It was a well behaved machine that stitched nicely. Recently I saw an older Kenmore here on QB that was a Turquoise blue that I just loved. It is probably a good thing it wasn't as pretty as that blue one. I would have wanted to keep it too.
    ~G~

  17. #917
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,410
    Blog Entries
    2
    A twin!
    Name:  12-14-12 015.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  130.7 KB
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  18. #918
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    WOW! It is a twin! Miriam, Do you have a digital manual for that machine? The upper thread guide threading threw me a little. Also, why are there two spool pins?
    ~G~

  19. #919
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    WOW! It is a twin! Miriam, Do you have a digital manual for that machine? The upper thread guide threading threw me a little. Also, why are there two spool pins?
    ~G~
    Grant, I think you can see on Miriam's where the spool pin is just missing. Nice machines!

    Steve you are a brave soul! Those two machines are going to be something to be proud of when you are finished - what a great piece of history to restore!

    Nancy

  20. #920
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,410
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    WOW! It is a twin! Miriam, Do you have a digital manual for that machine? The upper thread guide threading threw me a little. Also, why are there two spool pins?
    ~G~
    I do not have a manual. I found a generic manual to go with it. I would not know why it would have 2 spool pins unless you were going to wind a bobbin while you sew with the other.
    http://www.dontai.com/wp/images/imperial-535-manual.pdf link for generic manual
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  21. #921
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    507
    what model Kenmore is that? I might have an actual manual. I have a stack of about 75 manuals that we found in a box from this estate. I'll be happy and see if I have one.

  22. #922
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois...near St. Louis
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    WOW! It is a twin! Miriam, Do you have a digital manual for that machine? The upper thread guide threading threw me a little. Also, why are there two spool pins?
    ~G~
    There are 2 spool pins so you can use 2 spools of thread when using a double needle.

  23. #923
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,410
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    what model Kenmore is that? I might have an actual manual. I have a stack of about 75 manuals that we found in a box from this estate. I'll be happy and see if I have one.
    I have a bunch of Kenmore machines with no manuals - I don't know without going and looking to know what numbers. I can't seem to make the Sears website give me the right manuals. I would be happy just knowing what some of the knobs are suppose to do.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  24. #924
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    507
    I'll go through and pull out the kenmore ones and see what I have, and if you want me to try and scan any of them in I will. They're all stuff we are selling from that estate I just haven't gotten around to listing them on ebay yet.

  25. #925
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    what model Kenmore is that? I might have an actual manual. I have a stack of about 75 manuals that we found in a box from this estate. I'll be happy and see if I have one.
    Jennb, It is a Kenmore 1218.
    Path 49, This machine can't do a double needle. The needle is shifted all of the way to the left as you look at it when doing a straight stitch and there is not a L-R-Center setting for it, so a double needle would hit the foot. When you do a ZZ on it the needle stays to the left and swings to the right for the ZZ. Strange setup, I know. I still don't know why iot would have two spool pins on it though. I assumed it could do a double needle too until I saw how it went from Straight to ZZ.
    ~G~

Page 37 of 92 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 87 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.