Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37 77 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

I've been away for awhile, and look at all the neat machines I've been missing! Here's the favorite of mine, just as I received her from a Craigslist seller a while back. It's a Lotus 66 treadle with the peculiar serial number Y666666, and she sews well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

SOOO Beautiful, I have her sister in a hand crank. Congrats.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

I am not a fan of that pattern, but if I was that would be the one to have!!!! Nice!

Very nice!
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I enjoy all of the patterns on these machines and have always liked this one. Congratulations.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Name:  IMG_1168.JPG
Views: 485
Size:  1.74 MB
    Hello,
    I recently brought home a Pfaff 38-115 treadle sewing machine. Wondering if any one has information on it??
    It works flawlessly! Has everything I could have dreamt of(the side drawer if FULL!!!)! I've done a ton of cleaning on it, its pretty worn but I'm okay with that I'm just happy she works like a beast!

Looks like a beast too!!! Very cool!

It’s the first one of those that I’ve seen. It looks like a really neat early zigzag machine, and by looking at the large hand wheel, I’d say it’s been a treadle-operated machine all of its life. It’s got plenty of tensioners on it, don’t it?

I’m still looking for my first old zigzag industrial that I can treadle.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Beautiful machine, worn or not! Are those hard to treadle? Like a real leg workout or?
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Those are gorgeous! I've never seen the yellow flowered one. It has now become my favorite!!! I never find them unless they are crazy expensive or "boat anchors" as I've heard someone describe them. Still excited about seeing what I can do with them! So jealous of all these beauties!

Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

Iím still looking for my first old zigzag industrial that I can treadle.

CD in Oklahoma
    CD, I am too. Do you think the Singer 20U is a good machine? Do you know if it will fit in the cutout on the treadle table where I have my 31-15?

James

My question is: All the sewing machines seen here are they all Singers or was Singer called something else before? I liked them all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewhat540 View Post
    My question is: All the sewing machines seen here are they all Singers or was Singer called something else before? I liked them all.
    They are not all Singers. Singer is called Singer if it says so on the machine somewhere. There is a post just above on the previous page with a Pfaff - it is not a Singer. There are many many old sewing machines made by companies other than Singer. My mom said she had an old Singer treadle that sewed chain stitch - so far nobody has come up with a Singer treadle that did chain stitch. Some times people call an old black machine a Singer whether it says Singer or not. We think it might have been a Standard. I have one and she used it like she was born to it. She is 89 and still refers to an old black machine as a Singer. I can't seem to break her of it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by sewhat540 View Post
    There were several hundred makers back in the day (1800's) over time they got bought and now there are like 5 Sewing machine makers left in the world.

P.S. Welcome, I'm originally from Jamestown, just down the road from you!

Here is my Betty. Singer 221-1 Featherweight, AE975504. Which from what I can find, means she was born 5/24/1938.

I was blessed to have her gifted to me from a friend from yoga class, it was one of her grandparents', she couldn't remember which... I couldn't be more grateful, I am still STUNNED that she is mine!! She (the friend) said she just wanted the machine to go to someone who would love it, and use it...and I said, YEP! THAT'S ME!

When I got her, she was in great shape, but definitely "attic fresh" and had a tension problem- she needed some good cleaning, re-oiled and lubed, some TLC to the bobbin and top tension discs...now she's purring like a kitten and in great working order! And the case is in great shape, and seems to be complete. I am just SO in love with this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    ....My mom said she had an old Singer treadle that sewed chain stitch - so far nobody has come up with a Singer treadle that did chain stitch. Some times people call an old black machine a Singer whether it says Singer or not. We think it might have been a Standard. I have one and she used it like she was born to it. She is 89 and still refers to an old black machine as a Singer. I can't seem to break her of it.

I wish the ones that are trying to sell their non-Singer sewing machine could be broken of it. But when researching, I wish all "Singer's" were sewing machines .

I don't know what a Standard is like. I know I have wanted to find a treadle cabinet #10 & the 24-50 chain stitch "up close and personal" ever since I saw that Singer made one on Smithsonian site about 5 years ago. I think there may be a couple of places but I can only find this one right now. http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...es/image18.htm

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Blog Entries
    I have an old Standard machine that came in a lot of 50 some machines. The Standard spider for chain stitching was gifted to me by a QB member. (THANK YOU) Mom and I set it up to HC and she did some sewing with it. She had some kind of old treadle that did chain stitching when she was in college back in the 1940s. She called it a Singer but we all doubt if it was. When she sewed with that old Standard she knew instinctively how to get the piece off that machine with out unraveling the chain. I have to work at it. It is fun machine. It will do chain or it will do straight stitch. We sewed some tucks in little girl dresses with the chain stitching. It makes a beautiful tight chain. Mom said she got her home economics degree using that old treadle. She said none of her projects ever ripped out. She said she picked it up used somewhere for cheap. After she graduated her parents bought her a Singer Featherweight. She still some times uses the FW but gets frustrated with it when she tangles bobbin thread around. The Standard is a very well made machine. That spider is simply genius. There are some other Standard attachments that look to be genius as well.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
    CD, I am too. Do you think the Singer 20U is a good machine? Do you know if it will fit in the cutout on the treadle table where I have my 31-15?

James
    Hi James,

Two different people who were MUCH better sewists than I am (which admittedly is not saying very much) considered the 20U to be their go-to machine and all-around favorite. But I don't know whether it would fit in the cutout for a 31-15.

pat

Beautiful machine, you're so blessed to get it.
    1939 Singer 221, 1980 Singer Starlet 496, 1947 Singer 201-3

Meet Lottie Ethel

Name:  0928150946.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  493.5 KB
    My mom just gifted her grandmother's machine to me. All parts seem to move freely. Looks like the belt needs replaced. I can't find any brands or wording to help identify her. I just love all the old machines and reading all about them. Anyone know about this one? Looks like I have two needles, five bobbins and three bobbin shuttles. Next step is to remove from cabinet and see what I can find on bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a find you folks are! I am so thankful. I hope I am putting this in the right place.
    I have gotten the bug - big time. Today I found Adelaide in a thrift store and just love her. I'm not sure if she will ever be fully functional, but that doesn't really matter to me. Many of us are beautiful but not fully functional, right? I can't find any information on her, year or mfg. If you know, please share!Name:  Before12.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  647.5 KB Name:  Before1.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  556.4 KBName:  Before6.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  990.2 KB

It looks to be in really good shape, shouldn't be too hard, (says me) to get her going. Welcome to the group and the "insanity"
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Adelaide is sure pretty....
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Adelaide is beautiful, too bad somebody wrote on her.

This piece is actually hand done, but I though folks might still like to see the gift Heather and I just received. I'd even argue that if you have seen her working, my Aunt Nancy (who did this piece) almost qualifies as a machine.....

Name:  20150930_191558.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  20150930_191639.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  20150930_191711.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  64.0 KB

Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37 77 86 87 88 ... LastLast