Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 85 of 92 FirstFirst ... 35 75 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Great to know that about Free machines. I want the one with the Peacock decals. If I see one without the shuttle, well, I have spare 27 shuttles.
    5 days for that level of transformation is pretty quick IMO.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I may have been incorrect. It would only be interchangeable with the full size machines. That would be the 27 or 127 machines, but everything else is the same. I tried to go back and edit it, but I could not by the time I realized it.
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Great to know that about Free machines. I want the one with the Peacock decals. If I see one without the shuttle, well, I have spare 27 shuttles.
    5 days for that level of transformation is pretty quick IMO.
    Rodney
    I usually can turn a machine around in 3 to 5 days. I would have been done with this machine in 4 except for that handwheel. That took me a whole day all by itself. I was very glad when that day was over.
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Linda, Joe, and Sabine, thank you.

Joe, I have no secrets. I disassemble as much as reasonably possible, clean, adjust and detail everything, and put it back together. Simple, right? Also, thank you for the info. I was pretty sure it was a Free and had posted that on the Sit A Spell thread here. But it is nice to get conformation from someone I trust. Did you know,... that the slideplates, shuttle, and the bobbin are all interchangeable with Singer 27,127, 28, 128 machines? Mine was missing both of the slideplates. I had a parts machine Singer 27 here and tried them. They fit like a charm. I am sure that you can imagine my relief.

Sabine, It took me about five days. One whole day was spent on the handwheel alone. I was so glad when that was done.
    ~G~
    Grant,
    I knew the shuttle and bobbins would interchange, but I didn't know about the slide plates. That's a good thing to learn.

Getting them clean isn't that hard really, but you make them look new. That's what amazes me.
    Even the rusty parts look newish when your done. Mine just look like cleaned parts.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Grant you might be able to speed up the handwheel cleaning. For something like that I would use my lathe to spin it while I sand out the pits and polish it. A drill press can also be made to work in a pinch. I used my old ShopSmith for the hand wheels on my table saw. The saw had been sitting outside near the coast for so long the sawdust inside had turned to compost.
    Careful though. Lathe work is addicting.

A little off topic but here's a before and after on my saw.
    Name:  TA1180B as found.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  186.5 KB
    Name:  pictures saw done aug09 006.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  953.5 KB
    I think it was 2009 when I rebuilt my saw. My shop has changed a lot since then.
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Grant you might be able to speed up the handwheel cleaning. For something like that I would use my lathe to spin it while I sand out the pits and polish it. A drill press can also be made to work in a pinch. I used my old ShopSmith for the hand wheels on my table saw. The saw had been sitting outside near the coast for so long the sawdust inside had turned to compost.
    Careful though. Lathe work is addicting.

A little off topic but here's a before and after on my saw.
    I think it was 2009 when I rebuilt my saw. My shop has changed a lot since then.
    Rodney
    I actually picked up a small bench grinder that I am having a hard time finding the right buffing wheel for it. I can't wait until I can use that instead. It is going to save me a lot of work and speed things up a lot.
    BEAUTIFUL job on your saw!
    ~G~

Thanks, that was my first tool restoration. Early 1940s Walker-Turner 10" belt drive saw. Olivia and I spent quite a bit of time on that one. Most of my larger machines are from the 40s and 50s.
    I like these guys for polishing supplies. http://www.caswellplating.com/
    I bought enough about 10 years ago to last me the rest of my life. The service was excellent back then.
    Rodney

Rodney I should get with you on my old southbend Lathe ( 1930's I believe) then, also have a Sherwood ( metal lathe's both of them ) the Sherwood has a shaper attachment as well.
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

My 1934 Singer 221 Featherweight. She was so clean and sews beautifully. I keep her in my RV.
    Last edited by cindyg; 05-12-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Oh that is a pretty one cindyg!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    Your puppy looks just like mine

I'll start with my 2 Singer 127s and maybe add my electric machines in a later post.

1891 Rosebud, the most beautiful treadle I've ever seen. Complete with puzzle box.

Name:  2015-04-16 10.24.02.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  1.90 MB

And Cleo from 1910. I've been piecing blocks on this one:
    Name:  2015-04-21 09.00.03.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  946.1 KB

Cleo normally looks like this:
    Name:  2015-04-20 13.11.45a.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  300.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
    I'll start with my 2 Singer 127s and maybe add my electric machines in a later post.

1891 Rosebud, the most beautiful treadle I've ever seen. Complete with puzzle box.
    Top one is not a 127. In fact it's not a 27 either (technically). It's a VS2.

Middle one isn't either: It's a 27.

Bottom one: oooohhhh, kitties!
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    Top one is not a 127. In fact it's not a 27 either (technically). It's a VS2.

Middle one isn't either: It's a 27.

Bottom one: oooohhhh, kitties!
    Hmmm, I stand corrected then. I thought the 127s were VS2s. I am still learning Singer models.

Welcome aboard Notsothoroeu! Beautiful machines and Kitties. My 1908 model 27 is in a stand just like the one the cats are perched on.
    Rodney

That's a very pretty VS2 - I've been watching for one to add to my collection.

I also have a couple of machines that spend most of their time serving as cat beds too - though usually only one cat at a time, since the three I have now don't like to cuddle with each other (the outside cats sure do!)

I'm anxious to get home today - I have a box with a VS1 in it waiting for me.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

VS1..... Too Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
    Hmmm, I stand corrected then. I thought the 127s were VS2s. I am still learning Singer models.
    It's sort of like Grandma, Mom and daughter.
    VS2 - Grandma, 27 - Mom, 127 - daughter. All with little changes along the way.

Oh,.. and VS1,.. great grandma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Steve, I would have loved it if you would have cleaned this Elgin. It was a complete disaster when I got it and a real challenge. Here is the results of my latest project, The Elgin.
    ~Grant~

Front before and after.
    Attachment 519008

Back before and after.
    Attachment 519009

Bobbin Winder before and after.
    Attachment 519015

Hook area front, before and after.
    Attachment 519011

Hook area back, before and after.
    Attachment 519012

Bottom before and after.
    Attachment 519013

Handwheel before and after.
    Attachment 519014
    wow. what a transformation.......did you repaint those decals????
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
    wow. what a transformation.......did you repaint those decals????
    No I did not. Those are all the original decals.
    ~Grant~

Last edited by manicmike; 05-15-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Tibbles?

This is not a machine that I've found, but just an ad from 1890 that I came across in a Des Moines, IA city directory while looking for something else. It caught my eye because I've never heard of a Tibbles. I searched this board and found no matches for the name. Then I tried Google and found some hits related to a patent, and a 1933 Worlds Fair ribbon said to be sewn on one, but not one photo of a machine. I guess it would be rare to have one turn up, but based on the ad, I would certainly have been a potential customer. What was an "elastic lock stitch"? I couldn't get the whole page on my screen, but you can see where they overlapped. Too bad they chose to show it without even a hint of what the machine head may have looked like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Tibbles were starting to be known as good machines until Singer caught wind of them and launched a smear campaign with an advertisement called "The Trouble With Tibbles." Then the patent lawyers went after Tibbles and they were never heard from again.

P.S. Sometimes, I just make stuff up.

NapaJohn, I believe I read somewhere that it was the law firm of James & Leonard who went after the Tibbles, eventually hiring some illegal immigrants(aliens) to dispose of them.

Cari

Seriously ? "the trouble with tibbles"?
    Makes me wonder how widespread and common that catch phrase was. one of the episodes of "Star Trek" ( the original television series ) was titled "The trouble with TRIBBLES" One wonders if it was coincidental or if it was a play on something the writers parents may ave said .... or if it was maybe even a common colloquialism at one point.
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

Page 85 of 92 FirstFirst ... 35 75 84 85 86 ... LastLast