Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 34 74 83 84 85 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

The drinking straw is a great tip. Thanks Grant. (nice to have you back)

Blog Entries
    Grant and SteveH, you inspire me. The drinking straw tip is wonderful. These machines I adore. Having folks like you make my hobby (cheaper than therapy) easier to enjoy.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Thank you HelenAnn and Annette. I never really left. I moved Superbowl weekend (in a Blizzard here in Chicago). I have been lurking and posting but not as much. I have been really busy working on machines. I do have an album of tips and tricks I use on my page that you may like too.
    I just finished a 1902 Singer 27 with Sphinx decals that came out really nice. I can't wait to post the pictures of it here. I will after the owner picks it up. I can't risk spoiling the surprise for her. Most machines of that age have paint issues and only look good if you wipe them down with SMO, but not this one. I was able to wax it and it is just beautiful. I suppose just a couple of teaser pix wouldn't hurt.
    ~G~

Back close up before.
    Name:  IMG_8683.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  546.2 KB

After.
    Name:  IMG_8907.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  547.1 KB

Another close up of the back before.
    Name:  IMG_8684.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  496.5 KB

After.
    Name:  IMG_8895.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  1.01 MB

Bottom of the machine before.
    Name:  IMG_8688.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  687.0 KB

After.
    Name:  IMG_8809.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  749.2 KB

Hook area before and after.
    Name:  Upper hook before and after.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  967.2 KB

I also just finished a Indian Star decaled Singer 15, A turquoise Wizard (I posted pix of in the Clone tread), A pink Nicchi Julia, Pfaff 130, Singer 1200 (201-2 with a knee lift), Singer 201-2, and a Singer 66 with Lotus decals. So, as you can see, I have been busy and enjoying my new shop.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Wow, Grant! The before and after photos are amazing. I bet the owner will be shocked. You are inspiring me to get to using the mother's wax I purchased some time ago.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Thank you Linda. It came out better than I had expected.
    ~Grant~

Great before and after pics Grant! That Sphinx machine looks amazing.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Thank you Rodney. I can usually tell by looking at a machine if it is going to clean up well or not. This one came out even better than I expected.
    ~G~

Mine is not as old as the above pics. But I LOVE it. It is from 1962. Please let me know if this is not old enough for your vintage group. I sew with it and I would like tips on caring for a vintage machine. My Pfaff is in a sewing cabinet. This image is just from the internet. It is a wonderful machine and can sew through six layers of heavy denim like butter. It can also sew through leather. Name:  PFAFF 262 SEWING machines 3.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  180.3 KB

I really love this photo from the instruction manual! I know we all sew in high heels!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the board! I am sure that folks here will be able to help.
    (I can't because I only collect machines from the 1800's)

Quote Originally Posted by DJofTexas View Post
    Mine is not as old as the above pics. But I LOVE it. It is from 1962. Please let me know if this is not old enough for your vintage group. I sew with it and I would like tips on caring for a vintage machine. My Pfaff is in a sewing cabinet. This image is just from the internet. It is a wonderful machine and can sew through six layers of heavy denim like butter. It can also sew through leather.

I really love this photo from the instruction manual! I know we all sew in high heels!!!
    Welcome DJofTexas.
    It is old enough and a great machine too. All you have to do is ask. There are some great and informed people here that can help you with just about any question you can have about a vintage machine. Even the really old antique machines. You just met, who I hold in the highest regard as thee authority on the really old ones, SteveH.
    ~Grant~

Mine is not as old as the above pics. But I LOVE it.
    The Pfaff 262 is one of the best ever sewing machines. Quite a few of us have them so ask whatever you like. I've had two 260s. Your machine doesn't seem to have a home. Does it have a cabinet or is it a 'portable'?
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Mine is not as old as the above pics. But I LOVE it. It is from 1962. Please let me know if this is not old enough for your vintage group. I sew with it and I would like tips on caring for a vintage machine. My Pfaff is in a sewing cabinet. This image is just from the internet. It is a wonderful machine and can sew through six layers of heavy denim like butter. It can also sew through leather. Name:  PFAFF 262 SEWING machines 3.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  180.3 KB

Well, I do, of course! LOL

Actually, I am one of those barefoot quilters.

Welcome. You should love it here and especially the Vintage Machine section. I have learned sew much.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

I have posted pics of both my girls in other threads, but figured I'd put them in the same post here. First in line is my very own Iron Lady, "Minnie". She's a Minnesota Model D (model number D1699105) vibrating shuttle machine. I found her sitting all alone in our local Peddler's Mall. Got a good deal on her (at least I think I did; I paid $75 for her). Got her cleaned up and she sews like a champ. Now I just have to get used to using a treadle machine. You would think that since I spin on a single treadle spinning wheel that I could get the hang of it pretty quickly. Guess it requires more practice!

Name:  DSC00028.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  1.11 MB

The second is my Kenmore "Lucy". She's named after the lady that bought her originally. Sadly, I never knew this lady. A friend of ours bought her at an estate auction and used her as an end table in his sunroom. I was looking for a sewing machine and he gave her to me. Her model number is 158.13570 and her serial number is 0014277. She has a table that I am seriously considering refinishing, but haven't decided yet.

Name:  DSCN1316[1].JPG
Views: 344
Size:  129.4 KB

As promised, Here are some more pix of the Singer 27.
    ~Grant~

Name:  IMG_9013.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  907.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8894.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  948.8 KB

Name:  before and after.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  945.0 KB

Fantastic... I have been doing the same with old car parts this week. Makes me long for an old machine to clean....

Steve, I would have loved it if you would have cleaned this Elgin. It was a complete disaster when I got it and a real challenge. Here is the results of my latest project, The Elgin.
    ~Grant~

Front before and after.
    Name:  front before and after.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  589.3 KB

Back before and after.
    Name:  back before and after.small.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  1.09 MB

Bobbin Winder before and after.
    Name:  winder front and back before and after.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  1.61 MB

Hook area front, before and after.
    Name:  hook1 before and after.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  1.62 MB

Hook area back, before and after.
    Name:  hook2 before and after.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  1.35 MB

Bottom before and after.
    Name:  bottom before and after.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  1.47 MB

Handwheel before and after.
    Name:  handwheel before and after.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  1,001.6 KB

fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Fantastic... I have been doing the same with old car parts this week. Makes me long for an old machine to clean....
    I can probably send you what seems like a train container's worth!

I need to look in this thread more often. Grant you do some incredible work. That Elgin looks great! You really know how to raise the bar on cleaning these old machines up. Interesting drive train on that Elgin too.
    Steve be careful what you wish for.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I can see it now -- hundreds of derelict machines jumping out at your vehicle as you cross the country. The word is out, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I need to look in this thread more often. Grant you do some incredible work. That Elgin looks great! You really know how to raise the bar on cleaning these old machines up. Interesting drive train on that Elgin too.
    Steve be careful what you wish for.
    Rodney
    Thank you Rodney. You must be talking about the universal type joint under the machine. Yes, it is. I enjoy seeing what the engineers did to try and do it a different or better way.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Great looking machines Grant. What a transformation.

Linda

Grant,

First, your machine was probably made by The FREE Sewing Machine Co. The underside drive is identical to what my FREE Long Bobbin Rotary has.
    It is without a doubt the quietest and smoothest VS machine I've had the pleasure to use.

Second, I so want to learn your secret. You made a silk purse out of a sows ear. Anyone who likes vintage machines would be proud to use it.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Wow. AMAZING transformation!! How long did that take?
    Sabine

Linda, Joe, and Sabine, thank you.

Joe, I have no secrets. I disassemble as much as reasonably possible, clean, adjust and detail everything, and put it back together. Simple, right? Also, thank you for the info. I was pretty sure it was a Free and had posted that on the Sit A Spell thread here. But it is nice to get conformation from someone I trust. Did you know,... that the slideplates, shuttle, and the bobbin are all interchangeable with Singer 27,127, 28, 128 machines? Mine was missing both of the slideplates. I had a parts machine Singer 27 here and tried them. They fit like a charm. I am sure that you can imagine my relief.

Sabine, It took me about five days. One whole day was spent on the handwheel alone. I was so glad when that was done.
    ~G~

Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 34 74 83 84 85 ... LastLast