Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 82 of 92 FirstFirst ... 32 72 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

I got this from my Dear Aunt last week. It was not working of course, but with all the great help I have had over the years from the wonderful people on this board I was able to get her going(the usual with 221-1's and 301's) bobbin trouble. Someone removed most of the decals on her bed and the rest are silvered, I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle new decals or not when I do the french polish and shellac thing,the ridges in the finish where they were are still there.
    Name:  20150301_103529.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  163.6 KB
    I could not sleep until I got her up and running
    Kasey 1937 221-1 Featherweight, Red Eye Singer Treadle 66-1, 2 301's both long and short bed, 403, Free Number 5 Treadle, Jones hand crank Kenmore 158 19131, Viking Lilly 555

Your FW is in amazingly good shape. I believe there are replacement decals available from some source, and either Glenn or Steve on this board would be able to provide you with that information. Unless the decals are exactly the same as those originally applied to your machine, I would not replace just the front decals. The decals on the back and the ends are in very good shape. Unless you can match the decals exactly, personally, I would want to remove the decals and replace all of the decals on the bed of the machine . That being said, I am NOT an expert. Read the tutorial Glenn has posted, Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads. If you have any questions, I'm sure Glenn will be glad to answer them for you.

Jeanette

Blog Entries
    Steve, western NY would be quite a haul for me. I'm hoping to fin something closer to home. Thanks. Linda

Blog Entries
    I just bought a 1872 Singer VS2 Fiddle base for $ 37.00 + SH. Will post when it arrives. Linda

Quote Originally Posted by lolthom View Post
    I just bought a 1872 Singer VS2 Fiddle base for $ 37.00 + SH. Will post when it arrives. Linda
    Sorry Linda but they didn't make them in 1872. Most likely someone has left out a digit and it's from 1891. Still very good buy for $37.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    received my vs2 today. very, very rusted. seller posted wrong serial number. it is actually an 1891. thanks manicmike. still no pictures. soaking a few parts for rust. hope i can get it back together. may need help.
    Linda

we'll be here for you, no problem. Those VS2's are pretty tough!

Blog Entries
    if you ladies restore these machines. where do you get the decals, and who paints them for you? i can see doing the cabinet of a treadle myself, but not the rest of it. like the head, and the paint job, and the decals. does someone make them? or do you buy them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
    if you ladies restore these machines. where do you get the decals, and who paints them for you? i can see doing the cabinet of a treadle myself, but not the rest of it. like the head, and the paint job, and the decals. does someone make them? or do you buy them?
    If you explore a bit you will see Glenn's tutorial about the sewing machine and cabinet finishes. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html You will want to read up on it - you can easily destroy the old finish on your machine otherwise.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
    There are companies that make reproduction decal sets for some machines. Most of the time that is not what we do.

We clean with sewing machine oil, and use carefully and with respect for their age. There are folks who have machines professionally painted (Usually automotive paint shops) or just do it themselves.

New addition of Free Westinghouse

Meet Austin Farrell my new addition to the collection. Had my daughters drive from Houston to Austin in the poring rain today to pick up this beautiful machine! You see, I live in Florida and packing to move to New Orleans. Name:  Free Westinghouse.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  24.9 KB
    Last edited by deriz56; 03-21-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Stop whining and find time to quilt!
    My sewing machines are three Singer 201-2, Singer 15-91, Singer 66-16. Singer 66 Redeye treadle, Sewmor Deluxe Japanese 201 clone, Viscount hand cranked, Brother PRW420, Brother serger, Brother LX-3010. Hunting for a Singer 27 to complete the collection.

Just won an auction for an American #2 (first one I have ever seen) head only.

I am REALLY hoping that this "blob" is the shuttle.....
    Name:  Ebay #1a.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Ebay #8a.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  34.2 KB

Boat shuttle? I'd say it's a good chance. Yay you!

sorta, This is one of the Americans where they use a pointy shuttle and round bobbin (TINY round bobbin)

I have a #1 which was for family use, but this #2 is supposed to be for "light industrial" and leather

Steve, that is a remarkable machine. I hope what you see is the shuttle! I suspect those would be very difficult, if not impossible to find, and very dear pricewise if you did find one!

Congratulations on it!

Jeanette

Steve, do you have a photo of what the pointy shuttle should look like? I have a shuttle here that might fit your description but I thought it might be newer than your Victorian criteria... who knows though.

Here's something I found on needlebar.org.

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Here's something I found on needlebar.org.

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media
    That's TOTALLY not the shuttle I have or what I envisioned but incredibly cool!

That is a great link to show the differences. I have one of the ones that are straight from #7 handcrank and the one with the "dogleg" which is for my #1. I can't wait to see which this is. Tracking says it has already reached Oakland. may be delivered as soon as Tuesday!

it arrived TODAY!!! intact despite being packed in friggin peanuts.... But it was double boxed, which saved it, the machine actually did poke out through the inner box....

Shuttle yes!!!! no bobbin...(drat)

got the OK to share this picture from a friend who I buy machines from occasionally.

It is a original Victorian Quilt/Embroidery stand. (No, it was sold a long time ago, I just wanted to share)
    Name:  emb-06.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  75.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    ....original Victorian Quilt/Embroidery stand.
    Now that is interesting!

So, I assume that the right up-right had a knob on the top of it to match the left one originally? And it appears that the user would simply pivot the work up onto their lap while seated, and hand quilt or hand embroidery in that position?

I seem to recall seeing an upright similar to those somewhere.....maybe something I got at an auction? I didn’t have clue what it was, if by some remote chance it was something along those lines..... I’ll have to see if I still have it......

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

other than New National what is this? My friend gave it to me. Name:  national .JPG
Views: 259
Size:  78.6 KBName:  new natinal  2.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  34.6 KBName:  new national 3.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  30.0 KB

I just wanted to share a couple of pix of the latest CFR (catch, fix, release) in my shop. A 1936 Singer 201-2. This machine has an interesting story. I saw it at an Estate Sale and asked about it. The woman that helped me was outside when I was bringing it out and I stopped to thank her for her help. She asked me what I was going to do with the machine. I told her that I fix machines for a living and I was going to fix it and sell it. She then told me that she was interested in it when I was done with it. (sold it to the person, that sold it to me, before I got it to my car???) I finished it last week. She picked it up today. That is a first for me.

Front before and after.
    Name:  front before and after.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  1.82 MB

Back before and after. (huge transformation)
    Name:  back before and after.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  1.33 MB

And a close up of the bed, needlebar, tension, etc.
    Name:  IMG_8468.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  697.1 KB

As you can see, the machine was in need of a lot of attention. All new wiring, a couple of missing parts, a broken part here and there, a lot of cleaning and polishing, motor and drive rebuild, tune up, and she is ready for another 60+ years of service. The new owner and I are both happy.
    ~G~

fantastic!!!!

Page 82 of 92 FirstFirst ... 32 72 81 82 83 ... LastLast