Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 42 82 91 92
Results 2,276 to 2,298 of 2298

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Banned
    Annette my first thought is a burr on your needle plate or somewhere else in the thread path. I'd say at least half of my older Brother machines have come to me with at least one needle plate that's chewed up from breaking needles and my 210 is one of them. Another thing to check is the needle itself, does it have a burr, is it slightly bent so it rubs on the needle plate, is it too small for the thread you're using?

Cari

Name:  20150101_090257.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  982.1 KBElna 1 made in Switzerland as the first free arm sewing machine I believe. Known as the "grasshopper" . Not shown is the funky carry case which turns into the sewing table sliding in around the free arm.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...53-572146.html After the grasshoppers these came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Cawood Girl View Post
    Elna 1 made in Switzerland as the first free arm sewing machine I believe. Known as the "grasshopper" . Not shown is the funky carry case which turns into the sewing table sliding in around the free arm.
    Nice machine AND poster/sign behind, too

There seems to be some disagreement for first domestic free-arm as evidenced by https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...e-t268964.html and the one someone suggested was 1880 but according to http://www.sewalot.com/ward_arm_and_platform.htm was 1875/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Did you paint this yourself? Mine is a lot faded. I'd you did can you tell me what sort of pain was used? Did you feather in the black around d the decals and body? Thank you for any direction

lowjane, it is hard to figure out who you are asking. a name perhaps?

Not quite a zombie thread... so I hope I'm okay posting?

My three babies:

Name:  101my.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  94.9 KB

1930 Singer 101 in type 40 cabinet. A curbside rescue in a thunderstorm. Machine was locked up tight. All the wiring was brittle and needed replaced. Every piece of cabinet had an issue. Bent leaf hinges... missing slide plate, the 'need' list went on and on. Took two weeks of evenings and a rebuilt carbon pile. Yeesh. But worth every minute. (forgot to put the light cover and slide plate on for pic? What was i thinking?)

Name:  BU.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  82.3 KB

1948-52 Necchi BU. Found in the dark dingy back of a pile of junked machines from an old repair shop. Was in same shape as the 101 but no cabinet, case, or pedal. Not a single piece of wire insulation left, had to redo all the way to the motor leads. Took three days to get the internals moving again and a whole lot of elbow grease. Sews as well as the 101, except smoother and it's so quiet the loudest thing is the needle punching through the material. I'm still in awe of it.

Name:  GKKen.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  69.6 KB

1957 Kenmore 117.740 sold by Sears, provided by White, manufactured by Gritzner-Kayser. Also a frozen machine with a twist - the light fixture in the front had snapped a wire strand. If I hadn't have checked... I would have lit the deck. It's a very heavy machine, the bobbin plate is in the wrong location... and it just sews like mad. Excuse the photo, that was taken on day one, hour one - long before the rewire and spit shine. =)
    Last edited by Steelsewing; 07-27-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    *Note: Tonight's clairvoyant meeting cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

Banned
    Sure it's okay to post. This thread used to be a sticky(it stayed at the top of the page) but one of the moderators took it upon herself to downgrade it and one or two others.
    Nice machines. I had a 66 I couldn't stand and gave it away(kept the cute little cabinet it was in) and I didn't much care for my BU either so I sold it and a parts machine. Funny how a machine can make one persons heart go all aflutter and to another person it's 'meh'.

Cari

I think that for me... when it comes to the vintage machines... it's often a matter of just how much 'will to survive' does the machine have. Both my 101 and BU were abandoned for reasons and I'm just far too modest to think that my amateur skills alone were the only thing that brought them back to sewing. That they did come back and sew as well as they do now... seems like a testament to how well they were made to begin with... and I can appreciate that. Seems to be a difficult quality to find these days.

For future reference, you don't really need to go through all that hassle selling old BU's, Novas or Miras. All those strange people and the time lost sewing... Just box them up and send them to: Steelsewing, Next to the Perogi Shop, Pittsburgh, PA. It's just way easier. =)

Banned
    The only other Necchi I have is a 510 Lelia and that one I like. But I can send you some of my doubles, how about a Riviera or a Flairmatic? I'm a huge Brother fan and also I'm a sucker for straight stitch machines for some reason. I want to thin my herd of 80+ machines and really need to cut down on the clones and other ss machines but it's so hard to let go of these machines that will sew a bumper to a Buick without so much as a hiccup.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    But I can send you some of my doubles, how about a Riviera or a Flairmatic?
    The only reason I've never brought one home...

Name:  Moms.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  59.4 KB

is because Mom ordered her Flairmatic 190 new in 1962
    It survived my learning to sew and service,
    and it's still fine.
    No problems.

There's a reason to be huge Brother fan. =)

Banned
    My mom bought her Prestige(can't remember if its a 270 or 280) in 1964. I gave it to my oldest DD several years ago but I have a couple more of them. I have a tan Flairmatic that I love and one like yours. I also have a couple of Rivieras, same as a Flairmatic but with needle position selector. And a whole bunch more, about half my herd are Brothers. Here's a few of my favorites, a pink Riviera and my twin Pacesetters.
    Name:  4928878560_fa7ba48200_o.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  120.3 KBName:  24510654524_ec7d88c483_o.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  120.4 KB

Cari

Name:  quilt2.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  1.45 MBName:  sewing 001 (2).JPG
Views: 632
Size:  555.7 KBName:  sewing 004 (2).JPG
Views: 639
Size:  1.33 MBName:  sewing 002 (2).JPG
Views: 645
Size:  1.58 MBName:  sewing 003.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  1.31 MB

Love that pheasant decal!

My "vintage" Pfaff...

My 1222E has served me well for the last 41 years and still does....the picture after coming home from the last servicing....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by aztec View Post
    Name:  sewing 002 (2).JPG
Views: 645
Size:  1.58 MB
    So I have to ask... is the 101 a 1921, 22, or 23 model?

Name:  CFF17C4B-A949-48C5-938B-5ED3A77B3584.jpeg
Views: 559
Size:  1.49 MBHere is my “Gramps” purchased years ago for a mere $.25. It’s a Wizard, with no number. It’s a Singer clone straight stitch( and a beautiful stitch he makes).Has all of the attachments, super cute oil can, and found an owners manual that works for him. I don’t use him very often though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Nice Wizard! It is a 15 class but not a clone. The model # should be on it somewhere. Wizard model numbers are weird, it possibly starts with a 2KC-xxxx. Built by Brother so it's a good one.

Cari

Here are some pics of my machines....
    Name:  15 91 resized.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  398.8 KB
    Name:  201 2 resized.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  595.4 KB
    Name:  Featherweight resized.jpg
Size:  386.4 KB
    Name:  Red Eye Parlor Cabinet resized.jpg
Size:  356.7 KB
    Name:  128 resized.jpg
Size:  377.3 KB
    Name:  Tiffany resized.jpg
Size:  515.6 KB
    Name:  VS2 Roses resized.jpg
Size:  333.8 KB
    Name:  127 resized.jpg
Size:  509.8 KB
    Name:  Improved Family resized.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  411.3 KB
    Name:  VS2 Flowers resized.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  561.6 KB

Daselby,
    You have some gorgeous machines!!!
    Sharon in Texas

Beautiful collection. They are all magnificent.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Daselby,
    You have some gorgeous machines!!!
    Sharon in Texas
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Beautiful collection. They are all magnificent.

Jon
    Thank you! I just finished cleaning up the Improved Family machine.....can't wait to start on the Flowered VS2.

Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 42 82 91 92