Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 31 71 80 81 82 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

my digital calipers went missing so for now here is the best I can do.
    Name:  20150205_071025.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  20150205_071141.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  50.4 KB

umm- what I can "read" isn't accurate enough. Because if the needle hole is 1/16 different, it will cause problems. same with the width of the slide (not the opening). that one can get a bit tricky because of the grove the slide fits into.

It does look like the needle is centered. Those that aren't - its obvious.

However, from what I can see, this does appear to be the same as all the other White machines - until they switched to the Singer measurements (side clamp).

this is the information I wanted to gather - and why my collection contains the variety it does. Just need to tabulate more of the info.

I also want to do measurements of the Johnston style tucker with the coil (bed mount) as the only difference is the coil, - as that is what accounts for the different distances between the bed mount screw and needle bar. It's an important difference if you want your tucker to be square to your feed dogs.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    I am so inpressed with you folks who know what to do, to take an old, dirty, sad one and make it beautiful again...how in the world do you even begin to clean it up and restore those decals and all? I am just so amazed about how that can happen............wow.........
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
    ...how in the world do you even begin to clean it up and restore those decals and all
    well, I start with a soft clean rag and sewing machine oil. You would be amazed at the difference that alone can make.

I usually do not restore decals, although some clever folks here do

Macybaby -
    Distance between presser bar and needle shank is .621" .640" to needle shaft
    presser bar dia .286"
    front slide width 1.16"

For those reading - Please keep in mind that my focus is US made machines of the High Arm style, up to about 1940-1950 (before the flood of Japaneses machines).

Based SteveH's measurements, it is the similar to the other Whites. So far, White is the only machine I've measured with that large of a distance between the needle and presser bar.

Most are .5 or less, with just a few (like Demorest) that are a bit larger (.55).
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

1st one is a VS 3 to ID 3's take up lever is in the center, The body at the spool pin is round

new queen is a version of a vs 3

dirty rotary, is what it says rotary electric the manual has .......BOOK No. 13 at the top (?)

next two are FR's

the one with two dials is a 77

the last one look like a VS 2 take up lever towards the user and hinged behind the head should have a larger silver plate as a cover....... area at the spool pin shaped like a coffin top. should have a bobbin winder that looks like a mouth harp

this should be the machine those attachments are for, Thats the style mine uses

That last one is a small machine - so those plate hemmers are too long.

She makes the Singer 28 look big LOL!!

I do believe that is my oldest White - though she was "refurbished" at some point in time and converted to electric.

Blog Entries
    I will be getting a treadle sewing machine, from my mom & dad soon. I t likes like your 1st sewing machine here the number Singer 66-1. It looks very good. I hope to sew on it, any thing I can do to make it better for sewing.
    New belt, oil clean wish you were near Va. but I see your not. I only know a babylock dealer 1 hr. from here.
    what advise can you give me before I get to crazy and try to work on it. Stay away from cleaning it and oiling it, etc.
    Thank you! sherian I like to look at your notes also sorry to hear about your foot get well quick!

Blog Entries
    thanks, Steve H, for telling me to use soft cloth and machine oil.....I have been afraid to run it with much of anything as I don't want to hurt any decals that are still there, on any of mine.......

thanks, Steve H, for telling me to use soft cloth and machine oil.....I have been afraid to run it with much of anything as I don't want to hurt any decals that are still there, on any of mine.......
    Well, I use it on the machine in my avatar.....

Let's see if I can add a picture. Name:  SANY0119.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  55.9 KB This is Ma Tante La'tite (roughly translates to Aunt Tiny in English). She's a 1916 Singer 66-1. The woman who owned this had her converted so she can take side clamp feet and has a numbered tension dial. Her niece inherited the machine in the late 80's and had only used her as a display. Fortunately I know her niece and purchased it when she was downsizing to a smaller home.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    That Singer 66 looks like one well loved machine - it should be one of the best to use.
    BTW the Singer 600 (T&S) are good machines when the bobbin winder works.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    that 66 is beautiful...........wow, you were a lucky gal to get her..................I want one..............

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    That Singer 66 looks like one well loved machine - it should be one of the best to use.
    BTW the Singer 600 (T&S) are good machines when the bobbin winder works.
    The wear is from almost 70 years of use. She owned only one sewing machine her whole life. I've known her niece for over 25 years. I have provenance and stories about her aunt and her personality. She was quite a character. The T&S is a lost cause. Someone "tried" to fix the bobbin winder. My 1036 has a later version of that type and I certain it would have to be replaced. Other parts are missing as well so I would have to spend more money than it's worth. Thank you for the information. Never know if I'll need it in the future.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Hi, just thought I would share my most recent charity shop purchase (25). She is a 1934 66k. She needs a good clean and de-fluf but should be ideal for my 13yr old daughter in her new bedroom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That 66 and cabinet are worthy of a brand new stitching story! May she enjoy all the joys of the past and the present.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oxonchris View Post
    Hi, just thought I would share my most recent charity shop purchase (25). She is a 1934 66k. She needs a good clean and de-fluf but should be ideal for my 13yr old daughter in her new bedroom.
    your 13 year old daughter should be over the moon with that.

Two beauties in one day!

I decided when I got hooked on vintage machines to buy a 201, treadle and a hand cranked. Well, I have reached my collection goal, for now...maybe one more, a Singer 27.

My two beauties purchase 21 Feb. 2015.

Meet Ms Cypress Viscount, a hand cranked
    from Salsbury Wilshire, England born 1940.

Name:  Cypress Viscount 2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  142.2 KB
    Name:  Cypress & case 2.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  106.2 KB

And,

Ms Sara Singer Redeye from Elizabeth, New Jersey
    born June 2, 1910.
    Name:  Sara Singer Redeye 4.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  152.7 KB
    Name:  Sara Singer Redeye 5.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  67.9 KB

Am in LOVE....however packing to move so have to wait to clean and play
    Last edited by deriz56; 02-22-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    Stop whining and find time to quilt!
    My sewing machines are three Singer 201-2, Singer 15-91, Singer 66-16. Singer 66 Redeye treadle, Sewmor Deluxe Japanese 201 clone, Viscount hand cranked, Brother PRW420, Brother serger, Brother LX-3010. Hunting for a Singer 27 to complete the collection.

Gorgeous Viscount! i've never seen one in such lovely condition.

Never saw a Viscount before, thanks for sharing..I love the 66's too...I have two a red-eye like yours and one with the Lotus (or Thistle) decals...a 201 is still on my "want one" list.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

Blog Entries
    I am SO amazed at the before and after photos of some of these old iron ladies...........how do you get that to happen, other than cleaning with machine oil?

Blog Entries
    I am SO amazed at the before and after photos of some of these old iron ladies...........how do you get that to happen, other than cleaning with machine oil?
    Glenn has a tutorial in the sticky notes: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html

Blog Entries
    I want a lotus SOOOO bad, but any in decent condition are so expensive. or too far away to drive. treadles are rare here in central Pa. Everybody tears them down to sell the base. Grrrrr. Linda

Quote Originally Posted by lolthom View Post
    I want a lotus SOOOO bad, but any in decent condition are so expensive. or too far away to drive. treadles are rare here in central Pa. Everybody tears them down to sell the base. Grrrrr. Linda
    Linda, I am originally from the western NY area and I still check the listing there. I have seen a few Lotus in that area for say from time to time (if it is not too far for you)

Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 31 71 80 81 82 91 ... LastLast